ADVERTISEMENT

Heroic masculinity

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Thought provoking essay by one of my favorite The Atlantic authors:

IN PRAISE OF HEROIC MASCULINITY​

Teach boys that strength can be a virtue.
By Caitlin Flanagan

AUGUST 30, 2023

The phrase toxic masculinity was coined in the 1980s by a psychologist named Shepherd Bliss. He was a central figure in what he named the “mythopoetic” manhood movement. Bliss had grown up in a punishing military household with a domineering father, and he meant the new term to connote “behavior that diminishes women, children, other men,” a way “to describe that part of the male psyche that is abusive.”

It was a potent phrase, one that expressed something that had never had a name—that there is a particular poison that runs in the blood of some men and poses a deep threat to women, children, and the weak. The phrase didn’t break into the common culture until relatively recently, when the crimes of Harvey Weinstein and his ilk needed to be understood with some kind of shared language. They were men, but they were the kind of men who are filled with poison.

As it is with most new terms that roar quickly and powerfully into the culture, toxic masculinity was a rocket ship to the moon that quickly ran out of fuel and fell back to Earth.

Over the past several years, The New York Times has located signs of the brave fight against toxic masculinity in the television series Ted Lasso, in a production of the 19th-century opera Der Freischütz, and in a collage made in less than an hour. “White Lotus Didn’t Care About Toxic Masculinity After All,” wrote a disappointed Michelle Goldberg, as though someone had snatched away her bag of Good & Plenties.

Notably, however, the Times has not referred to toxic masculinity in its coverage of the Gilgo Beach murders. Nor does the term appear in an article headlined “Professor Charged in Scheme to Lure Women to New York and Rape Them,” nor in one about the abduction of a 13-year-old in which the suspect has been charged with kidnapping and transporting a minor across state lines for criminal and sexual purposes.

Why don’t these qualify as toxic masculinity? One suspects it is because murder, rape, and kidnapping are serious, and “toxic masculinity”—as we now use the term—is trivial. Still, I use it in this essay, because in its grammar we find something instructive. If the noun masculinity can be modified by the adjective toxic, then there must exist its opposite, which can be revealed by a different adjective. What is it?

The opposite of toxic masculinity is heroic masculinity. It’s all around us; you depend on it for your safety, as I do. It is almost entirely taken for granted, even reviled, until trouble comes and it is ungratefully demanded by the very people who usually decry it.

Neither toxic nor heroic masculinity has anything to do with our current ideas about the mutability of gender, or “gender essentialism.” They have to do only with one obdurate fact that exists far beyond the shores of theory and stands on the bedrock of rude truth: Men (as a group and to a significant extent) are larger, faster, and stronger than women. This cannot be disputed, and it cannot be understood as some irrelevancy, because it comes with an obvious moral question that each man must answer for himself: Will he use his strength to dominate the weak, or to protect them?

Heroic masculinity is the understanding that someone has to climb the endless staircases in the towers. On 9/11, 343 New York City firefighters died at Ground Zero, and there wasn’t one of them who didn’t know, or at least suspect, that he was climbing to his death. They didn’t do it because of a union contract or an employee handbook. They climbed those towers because they knew that it must be written into the American record that heroes were there that day, and that the desperate people inside those buildings had never—not once—been abandoned.

(There were also, of course, women who responded to the catastrophe, three of whom were killed—two police officers and an EMT: Kathy Mazza, Moira Smith, and Yamel Merino.)

A year ago, at a drag show in Colorado Springs, a man opened fire with an AR-15-style rifle. A second man, Richard Fierro, was at the club with his wife, his daughter, and a few friends. When the shots roared into that enclosed space, Fierro ran toward the gunfire and pulled the killer to the floor. When Fierro found that the man was carrying a second gun, a pistol, he seized it, and pounded the man’s head with it over and over again, screaming, “I’m going to ****ing kill you.”

Fierro is a combat veteran of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. “I don’t know exactly what I did,” he told The New York Times. “I just went into combat mode.” He told CNN simply, “My family was in there. My little girl was in there.”

These examples are about heroic masculinity at its most extreme. Heroism is usually much less dramatic. You can see it every time a high-school kid puts himself between a girl and some boy who’s hassling her, and every time a man steps up to another man who is screaming—or worse—at a woman. Girls and women do this, too. But the kind of men who harass women don’t tend to listen to them.

Toxic and heroic masculinity can easily exist in the same man. There are plenty of examples of a bad man who sees something unjust and who suddenly—if only for the minutes it takes to stop another man from harming someone—puts a stop to it. For that tiny stretch of time, he is connected to greatness.

There are questions that must be answered. For instance, aren’t women capable of heroic acts? Of course, and mere examples don’t suffice to tell the tale, but here are several: Heather Penney was one of the two fighter pilots sent screaming through the air on 9/11, on orders to find and take down the fourth hijacked aircraft. The only successful end to that mission would be suicide: There was no time to load the jets with missiles, so if they found the missing plane, they would have to fly straight into it. “There was no second-guessing,” she told a reporter on the 20th anniversary. “And there was no tears.” Leigh Ann Hester was the first woman to be awarded the Silver Star for combat valor, for her swift action during a 2005 firefight in Iraq.

But the heroism that marks most women’s lives is the endless effort to protect themselves—and very often, their children—from male threat or violence. It is in spite of this deep, perpetual vulnerability that the world goes on, that women go out alone with men they don’t know well, that they bear their children, and—on nothing more than trust—sleep at night beside them. The number of women who have risked everything—and in many cases lost their lives—in self-defense is without end, and the number who haven’t thought twice about throwing themselves between their children and great threat is all you need to know about female courage and sacrifice.

We know from experience, if we have lived long enough—and from thrillers if we have not—that there can be something deeply attractive in a man who is strong enough to hurt but also to protect. It is the knife’s edge of masculinity that women negotiate. No matter how far women have come in the modern world, the fact of male power remains a deep and, I would imagine, primal attraction for many women. How could it not be?

The next question involves the police, the overwhelming majority of whom are male, and the fact that so much corruption and malevolence exist within the ranks. There are many jobs, usually those that involve the possibility of danger and the conferring of power—that are appealing to both kinds of men. The bad cops reveal how malevolent a force manhood can be if exerted against the innocent. The good ones remind us that in the moment of violence, laws won’t protect us, and norms won’t protect us. In the moment of male violence, the best luck you’ll ever have is for a good cop to be nearby.

I’ve talked about this topic before, and almost instantly someone interrupts to report in outraged tones the monstrous action of some man who has been in the news. “Is he heroic?” they will ask.

Patiently I will explain that obviously he isn’t. There is a very simple test for whether or not something constituted an act of heroic masculinity, and here it is: Ask yourself if it was heroic.

In certain parts of the country, including Los Angeles, where I live, the strength and bravery of girls are specifically championed. The message is that it’s great to be a girl, and that girlhood itself is part of what makes each girl so powerful. On the soccer field I’ve often heard parents cheer “Girls rule!” after a winning goal.

But never once have I heard parents at a match yell “Boys rule!” Why not? Because in sports they do rule, and in such great measure that it’s rude to point it out. In 2017, the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team played a scrimmage against a boys’ team in Texas. The boys were all younger than 15, and they won that match 5–2. The same thing had happened in Australia a year earlier; the national women’s soccer team played a team of under-15-year-old boys and lost 7–0. When CBS reported the loss in Texas, it softened the blow by noting that it “should not be a major cause for alarm.”

Alarm? Alarm about what? You would be alarmed only if no one ever told you that boys and men are stronger and faster than girls and women.

There used to be a T-shirt that I sometimes saw little girls wearing that said boys are terrible. throw rocks at them. Good luck with that, I would think. Maybe a rock-throwing girl would make contact with a boy who knows that you don’t get into a physical conflict with girls, because that’s not right. Or maybe she would make contact with a boy who believes that girls are the absolute equal to boys in every way, and she’ll get beaned.

In progressive areas, there is a kind of suspicion about boys, a sense that if things aren’t handled very carefully, they could go wrong and the boy might never express his feelings.

The New York Times is a central purveyor of this What’s wrong with boys? agenda. A couple of years ago it published an op-ed called “What We Are Not Teaching Boys About Being Human.” The writer reported that despite her intention to raise her sons in a gender-neutral way, the culture kept getting its hands on them.

First “preschool masculinity norms” meant that while girls’ books are about the inner lives of people, boys’ books explore “the emotional lives of only bulldozers, fire trucks, busy backhoes and the occasional stegosaurus.” Setting aside the weird, sexist assumption that some books are for girls and other books are for boys, we learn about what happened next:

“Now, they are 10, 7 and 3, and virtually every story they read, TV show they watch or video game they play is essentially a story with two men (or male-identifying nonhuman creatures) pitted against each other in some form of combat, which inevitably ends with one crowned a hero and the other brutally defeated.” Despite all of her best efforts, she has managed to produce boys who care deeply about being heroic and saving good people from villains.

Boys are various and wondrous, and their inclinations are wide and changeable. There are boys who love art and literature, boys who are dreamy and funny, boys who play football and also study ballet. Let them be who they are, including those boys—among them many artists and poets—who are very interested in what it means to be heroic, in the sense of defending and protecting the weak.

Have you ever noticed that there are a lot of otherwise reasonable young men who admire Andrew Tate, a vile and widely watched influencer facing charges of rape, human trafficking, and organized crime? (He denies the allegations.) That is because the only thing they have been taught about masculinity is that it is a dangerous and suspicious and possibly socially constructed fantasy that they must cast off in every way possible. They’re so confused that when they finally see a thug like Tate, reveling in talk of dominating and abusing women, they think he’s admirable. At least he isn’t telling them that they’re bad seeds.

If we don’t give these boys positive examples of strength as a virtue, they will look elsewhere.

The final complaint about men is the demand for tears. Why aren’t more men crying? Crying is important and men should cry!

Men do cry. Freely and openly. But women are often looking in the wrong places for it.

When a gunman attacked the Covenant School, an elementary school in Nashville, in March, only 14 minutes lapsed between the first 911 call and officers on the scene taking the shooter down. The Nashville chief of police, John Drake, spoke to the press often on that day and the days that followed. He spoke in the language of data and facts—but also in the language of human beings trying to understand this great evil.

About a week after the shooting, Drake spoke again. First he thanked everyone who had helped, including the cops who had entered the building first, and were also at the press conference. And then he talked about a memorial service he had attended with other members of the force:

“As I sat in a church Saturday, and I watched students from Covenant School take flowers down to the altar, literally I’m in tears. And the other first responders, police officers, firefighters are in tears. And I look at these kids, and they look at us and say, ‘Thank you for your service.’ And they believe that their classmate is going to Heaven, that they're in a better place and they’re not hurting. The ones that was hurting the most was us.”

Almost overcome, he said that the thing he always tells new recruits, men and women alike, is “No one ever said it would be easy, but they said it would be worth it.” And then he turned to the cops: “I’m totally proud of these men.”

What if we showed that speech to boys? What if we didn’t repeatedly tell them that we want to know their feelings and that we want them to be unashamed to cry, but instead showed them that everything is possible for a man—even a straight chief of police? If you think that boys, even ones raised in liberal places and by liberal parents, aren’t deeply interested in the testimony of this kind of man, then you haven’t been around boys very much.

What if we understood that boys are born into a destiny, not a pathology?

Caitlin Flanagan is a staff writer at The Atlantic. She is the author of Girl Land and To Hell With All That.

I think toxic masculinity is kind a stupid and sexist name. I prefer just calling them dicks or douchebags or whatever.

Because there are women that can be the same way and they are the same thing.

Now we do have a lot of men who are insecure about their masculinity because masculinity in our culture unlike femininity often comes with a list of requirements. You have to be a certain way to be a "real man". First of all I think that should for the most part be thrown out. However I would argue that 80% of those requirements are created by more insecure men.

However I think there is certainly a lot to be said about giving boys a positive vision of masculinity. I personally think boys not having relationships with their father's is a big reason why Andrew Tate is so popular. Just having a good dad around can give a boy a positive and not insecure vision of masculinity.

Reactions: Farehawk
I think toxic masculinity is kind a stupid and sexist name. I prefer just calling them dicks or douchebags or whatever.
Used properly - in the psychological context it was created for - it is perfectly acceptable and makes a lot of sense.

As Caitlin pointed out in the piece, it's use and specificity has been watered down in popular culture.

I'm sure this will go over like a lead balloon.

Aardvark Jr spent an elementary school year as a boy at a school called the Heights, which is an Opus Dei school in MD. Ultimately, travel across the Potomac ocean was just too much for a kid his age, and the school had some things that were a little over the top as you might expect, which led us to bring him back to our parish school. People were nice, the education was fine.

But they actually had a very definitive philosophy, that actually worked: that if you want boys to become men who can make risk/reward judgments in the real world, you have to expose them to risk. So, headfirst down the sliding board? Sure. (Jr. broke his arm). Tackle football? Is there any other kind. Snowball fights? Sure, including with head shots. Fights? Not encouraged, but occasionally rewarded. Most popular item at school silent auction? Potato cannon, built by the buildings and grounds staff, and with a range of several hundred yards! On the last "field day" competition of the year among the class groupings, you know what the culminating event was? Bull-in-the-ring. (Aardvark jr. prevailed against his opposite, to lead his 'house' to victory.)

Last edited:
Used properly - in the psychological context it was created for - it is perfectly acceptable and makes a lot of sense.

As Caitlin pointed out in the piece, it's use and specificity has been watered down in popular culture.

I find that is the problem with a lot of terms especially in the internet age.

Reactions: torbee
It’s still good to be a real man. Stand up for what’s right. A rodeo cowboy saved my life/ certain major injuries as a child. Before we could thank him, he disappeared. This man didn’t care about money or recognition. Just being a cowboy was probably all he ever wanted. A child clinging for life on a runaway spooked horse- that was his duty as a cowboy to save me. Be a cowboy but make every effort to not be noticed. Vic

1. The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.
  2. He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.
  3. He must always tell the truth.
  4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.
  5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
  6. He must help people in distress.
  7. He must be a good worker.
  8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.
  9. He must respect women, parents, and his nation's laws.
  10. The Cowboy is a patriot.

It’s still good to be a real man. Stand up for what’s right. A rodeo cowboy saved my life/ certain major injuries as a child. Before we could thank him, he disappeared. This man didn’t care about money or recognition. Just being a cowboy was probably all he ever wanted. A child clinging for life on a runaway spooked horse- that was his duty as a cowboy to save me. Be a cowboy but make every effort to not be noticed. Vic

1. The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.
  2. He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.
  3. He must always tell the truth.
  4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.
  5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
  6. He must help people in distress.
  7. He must be a good worker.
  8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.
  9. He must respect women, parents, and his nation's laws.
  10. The Cowboy is a patriot.

WTF?

I can assure you that real cowboys regularly violated many of those.

Reactions: littlez
Oh more than that.

Gaslighting
Love bombing
weaponized incompetence

It's basically become a common thing for everyone to claim they were emotionally abused.

Weaponized incompetence? Is that like when I do such a poor job with household chores my wife just does them herself?

I don't think I personify either toxic masculinity nor heroic masculinity, so I'm making up my own term.

Apathetic masculinity.

I'm not an asshole, but my time on this earth has soured me on the idea of going out of my way to help people that I don't know.

I'm still masculine enough that, if I wished to do so, I could either terrorize or safeguard the weak, but I'm cool with just letting things play out how they are going to play out just as long as nobody ****s with me and mine.

It Is What It Is Sport GIF by UFC

I don't think I personify either toxic masculinity nor heroic masculinity, so I'm making up my own term.

Apathetic masculinity.

I'm not an asshole, but my time on this earth has soured me on the idea of going out of my way to help people that I don't know.

I'm still masculine enough that, if I wished to do so, I could either terrorize or safeguard the weak, but I'm cool with just letting things play out how they are going to play out just as long as nobody ****s with me and mine.

It Is What It Is Sport GIF by UFC
I believe the term for you is Existentialist.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Yes I'm sure that someone who grew up with parents as wealthy as his is fully accustomed to doing manual labor.

I mean this guy's hands must be so full of calluses from all the hard manual labor he's done in his life.
Majority of Republicans believe all of this. Reminds me of the murals of Saddam showing him as this and that across Iraq. Same pos cult here.

IMO... the biggest concern about the discussion of masculinity at the societal level in recent years is the composition of the discussion. It's almost nothing but negative. While I think a lot of it is silly and can easily write it off... lots of young men aren't going to have that perspective and will feel rather offput by it all, understandably.

This breeds resentment and risks driving them into the arms of nuts like Andrew Tate and other political extremists.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

IMO... the biggest concern about the discussion of masculinity at the societal level in recent years is the composition of the discussion. It's almost nothing but negative. While I think a lot of it is silly and can easily write it off... lots of young men aren't going to have that perspective and will feel rather offput by it all, understandably.

This breeds resentment and risks driving them into the arms of nuts like Andrew Tate and other political extremists.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I don't entirely disagree with you either. However I can tell you that the "alpha males" out there are not the way to go.

We do need to show men as being more valuable and show men as more competent. Quite frankly I am encouraged to see some progress on this front. Because when I was a kid it certainly felt like much of popular culture mocked men, mocked fathers. And that doesn't help anyone.

So for me I look at the issue as something that's a problem but most of the people who talk about that problem have entirely the wrong solutions. Often times those solutions seem to be to make guys less vulnerable (and more mentally unhealthy as a result) and into more of a dumbass meathead who's life revolves around drinking, overtly sexualizing women, fighting, and quite frankly bullying people.

Man, there's a lot of overthinking going on in today's world. I'm teaching my son to not be a dick, BE KIND! Seriously, be kind to those around you. If there's a new kid in class, reach out and make him/her feel welcome. Be confident, but never cocky. A confident person believes they are just as good as anyone else, whereas a cocky db thinks they are better than those around them. Humility will serve you well in this world. And always be respectful, chivalrous, and hold the darn door for your mother. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: torbee
That was a good article and had an interesting starting point:

Der Freischütz was one of the first operas I ever watched. I did not remember any of this stuff, so I watched a couple of clips on YouTube and it is becoming clearer.

The music was great though. Here us a clip celebrating masculinity in it's fullest:

Yeah yeah yeah duh. They overreact. The same as everything and everyone in where any political commentary is concerned. They get the shape of the problem right but the size of the problem wrong. Everybody overextends their argument and looks stupid. It's to be expected in 2024 or whatever the **** it is.

Because there are women that can be the same way and they are the same thing.

Now we do have a lot of men who are insecure about their masculinity because masculinity in our culture unlike femininity often comes with a list of requirements. You have to be a certain way to be a "real man". First of all I think that should for the most part be thrown out. However I would argue that 80% of those requirements are created by more insecure men.

However I think there is certainly a lot to be said about giving boys a positive vision of masculinity. I personally think boys not having relationships with their father's is a big reason why Andrew Tate is so popular. Just having a good dad around can give a boy a positive and not insecure vision of masculinity.

Aren’t you the guy that cried about having sex with some chick?

• Haha
Reactions: NoWokeBloke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT