ADVERTISEMENT

High School 2 Point Takedown

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
I watched some of the tournament matches and noticed right away that they are still awarding 2 points for a takedown. Why aren't they following college wrestling and the 3-point takedown? Is it just Iowa or is it standard throughout the country?

Because I like the 3 to 1 ratio of TD to escape better.

I do like the ratio better too. Initiating action and getting a takedown should be awarded much more than an escape...

I'd hope that there are analytics being done to track match takedowns (activity) in the NCAA, in comparison to previous years with the 2pt takedown.

As the 3 point takedown can also make someone with a lead MORE tentative, as they don't want to give up takedown with a 3 vs 1 score.

Analyzing over several years is the only way to see if the 3pt takedown has helped push action.

Riding time makes for an interesting strategy to observe during matches, but does it encourage too much "riding just to ride"?

If HS gets rid of the two point takedown I won’t get to use my two finger foam fingers very often

There were other sentences but you cropped them.
So? Those other sentences had no bearing on my question.

I watched some of the tournament matches and noticed right away that they are still awarding 2 points for a takedown. Why aren't they following college wrestling and the 3-point takedown? Is it just Iowa or is it standard throughout the country?
You're like the Archie Bunker of the board. NTTAWWT

I think it would be interesting to do a survey from both former and present high school wrestlers and coaches as to their opinions on making some rule changes. Like two-point takedowns, no riding time, 2,2,2 periods, and something I know I am probably forgetting. Two minute periods I think I can see both sides. It seems to me that with the majority of high school wrestlers wrestling up to 30 or 40 or even more matches per year, one more minute shouldn't be that big of a deal. No riding time does not prepare these wrestlers for college, both securing a riding point, turning an opponent for bonus points, getting out from the bottom, and so on. Just some thoughts.

Of course it did. It added color to the question. 🤦‍♀️
lol, ok

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: so cal hawkfan
i too, would like to see HS adopt 3pt takedown.

i think it's been good for college (and i was skeptical at first).

Super 32 used 3pt takedown and i thought it was great there as well.
I personally don't like the three point takedown. It doesn't increase action, on ly the score. In fact I think it minimizes majors and tech falls. Two take downs and a figure four or double boots ride and one escape nets a major. Two cheap.

I personally don't like the three point takedown. It doesn't increase action, on ly the score. In fact I think it minimizes majors and tech falls. Two take downs and a figure four or double boots ride and one escape nets a major. Two cheap.
I don't mind the 3 point takedown, but a major decision needs to be a 10 point spread now with 3 point takedowns. 8 is too easy to get like you said.

well if it's too easy, it is 'too easy' for each guy, correct?

Reactions: Trapper85
Yeah but it's drastically reduced the boring death parade of 1-0, 1-1 SV, and 3-2 (get a cheap early counter TD, get your freebie escape pt and stall) matches that plagued this sport for a decade thanks to Penn State and Oklahoma State.

I think it's a fair trade-off, because it de-emphasizes riding time and emphasizes scoring/attacking.

I'd rather take a "cheap major" than a boring as f*** sport-killing 1-0 national championship match..................just sayin.

I was invited to participate in a questionnaire by the national rules committee and they asked opinions about using the 3 point TD, the new 2-3-4 point NF, one point inbounds to continue action, etc. for HS rules.

Yeah but it's drastically reduced the boring death parade of 1-0, 1-1 SV, and 3-2 (get a cheap early counter TD, get your freebie escape pt and stall) matches that plagued this sport for a decade thanks to Penn State and Oklahoma State.

I think it's a fair trade-off, because it de-emphasizes riding time and emphasizes scoring/attacking.

I'd rather take a "cheap major" than a boring as f*** sport-killing 1-0 national championship match..................just sayin.
In your scenario it would still be 1-0. The matches even with 3 point takedowns have only increased scoring and team points, not action.

I love it, matches can change on a dime. You have a dude that’s up by 4 with riding time in the 3rd really pushing the pace to get that TD for the major. On the flip side the other wrestler needs just 2 TDs and then he’s in the lead. It’s going to be f*n to see it in action at the NCAA tourney.

The disparity of competition between the competitors is much greater in HS v College.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT