ADVERTISEMENT

Hilton's desk clerk software system is down worldwide....

I get what a big deal that is for a lot of people.

So used to just saying "email me the receipt" when checking out, or already having rooms assigned and keys scanned when you get there.

Desk reps trying to find the old box that has the manual credit card machine and carbon slips.

So the Russian / Chinese cyber attacks are getting amped up before election.

Hilton has a 745 hotels in China. That would be pretty messed up if China had anything to do with this.

Hilton has a 745 hotels in China. That would be pretty messed up if China had anything to do with this.

Have there been any reports out of China of outage?

I'll need a more credible source than Reddit. Not saying you are wrong, but not like the folks on there are Woodward and Bernstein.

Reactions: GOHOX69
What the Hilton employee Redditors ARE saying is that Microsoft pushed out some sort of server update and it didn't play nice with Hilton's system.

Reactions: NoleATL
its-happening-friday.gif

Lots of car dealer systems also down today.

New details about the CDK Global hack have surfaced through a Bloomberg source, indicating that a hacking group in Eastern Europe is likely responsible for the cyber incident. The group demands tens of millions of dollars in ransom, as the hack has paralyzed thousands of auto dealerships across the US.

Here are more details from the report:

CDK is planning to make the payment, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. The hacking group behind the attack is believed to be based in eastern Europe, the person said. In the early days of any ransomware attack, discussions are fluid, and the situation could change. -Bloomberg

New details about the CDK Global hack have surfaced through a Bloomberg source, indicating that a hacking group in Eastern Europe is likely responsible for the cyber incident. The group demands tens of millions of dollars in ransom, as the hack has paralyzed thousands of auto dealerships across the US.

That’s no bueno.

Reactions: Moral
That’s no bueno.
The hacker has to make their offer cheaper than rebuilding from scratch and backups, I guess.

I’d be interested in the post-mortem on why they couldn’t (or didn’t) just rebuild.

When you buy back access how do you know they really left?

The hacker has to make their offer cheaper than rebuilding from scratch and backups, I guess.

I’d be interested in the post-mortem on why they couldn’t (or didn’t) just rebuild.

The good ones I have seen stick around long enough before the attack to know how to eliminate backups. They will also for sure have backdoors left to try future attacks. I don't remember the percentage but there is a very high percentage that they will return in about six months to try again.

The good ones I have seen stick around long enough before the attack to know how to eliminate backups. They will also for sure have backdoors left to try future attacks. I don't remember the percentage but there is a very high percentage that they will return in about six months to try again.
Yeah, I guess it depends how many keys to your kingdom they have.

We have normal backups the data center is responsible for creating and maintaining on the VMs and data, but we also shunt to cold storage in Azure and AWS in case the data center was nuked.

I need to make sure those processes are done on separate credentials…

Instead of paying the ransoms, they should threaten to use the money to hire some ex-Mossad commandos to hunt them down and cave in their faces, Prigozhin-style.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

Surprisingly there is honor among thieves because if they don’t give the encryption key/return the data when the ransom is paid, then the insurers will never recommend clients pay moving forward.

SMDH

Sum Ting Wong.

I would hate to work in I.T. There is always someone trying to f you over. Sure you are wicked smart. But it would feel like a constant fight.

I would hate to work in I.T. There is always someone trying to f you over. Sure you are wicked smart. But it would feel like a constant fight.

It can certainly be a bit much. Add on top of that constantly changing technology and constantly changing risks and it can adopt some low level stress as a baseline. Getting hit with an attack is pretty damn stressful too.

It can certainly be a bit much. Add on top of that constantly changing technology and constantly changing risks and it can adopt some low level stress as a baseline. Getting hit with an attack is pretty damn stressful too.

Sounds like a panic attack waiting to happen. And that is coming from someone in a stressful profession.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT