ADVERTISEMENT

Hit the Portal Hard and Relentlessly

JB mentioned that Cael in your living room is just impossible to turn down the PSU offer. The only way other teams are going to compete in recruiting is to hire a superstar (Burroughs, Taylor, Dake) as coach.
100% they need a face that young recruits have grown up watching and want to be around. They don’t know the brands and sure as hell never heard of telf or Morningstar. All they see of the Iowa staff is nonstop screaming and belligerent comments.

You're talking the past. I'm talking the future. Get the difference? I'm looking at 133, 141, 149, and 157, and I'm seeing no one likely to AA. You seem to not be aware of this?

You missed the point. What makes you think they will all of the sudden stop being active in the portal?

Reactions: honkey69
You missed the point. What makes you think they will all of the sudden stop being active in the portal?
They have four or five weights to attend to if they want to seriously challenge and make up lost ground with PSU. That's well beyond anything they've done in the past. Two portal transfers to make up for Woods and Franek graduating is running in place.

Reactions: Fan In Black
They have four or five weights to attend to if they want to seriously challenge and make up lost ground with PSU. That's well beyond anything they've done in the past. Two portal transfers to make up for Woods and Franek graduating is running in place.

I’m sure they haven’t thought of trying the portal this year. Maybe email the wrestling office?

Anyway, there’s no realistic where Iowa seriously challenges PSU in the near future. Five high AA transfers in one offseason is a pipe dream. Not happening.

Reactions: SansAgain
I’m sure they haven’t thought of trying the portal this year. Maybe email the wrestling office?

Anyway, there’s no realistic where Iowa seriously challenges PSU in the near future. Five high AA transfers in one offseason is a pipe dream. Not happening.
Oh Spooner. You just can't help yourself. But since you mentioned it, I don't think TnT will exploit the portal to the fullest extent possible, b/c it's an indictment of their ability to recruit and develop talent.

Reactions: savage84
Oh Spooner. You just can't help yourself. But since you mentioned it, I don't think TnT will exploit the portal to the fullest extent possible, b/c it's an indictment of their ability to recruit and develop talent.

Losing is worse than that.

Iowa has been as active as anyone in the portal outside of maybe Michigan. Thinking that’s suddenly going to change is #TTH.

I would just like us to be more offensive. Like those few weeks where we wrestled crappy teams and everyone felt the sky was blue again. Like let’s do that every damn week. The results will take of themselves they stopped shutting the eff down. I mean honestly our kids didn’t make it to Iowa because their offense sucked. Where’s it go? Let’s get a technical coach in there and let these peacocks fly man

I would just like us to be more offensive. Like those few weeks where we wrestled crappy teams and everyone felt the sky was blue again. Like let’s do that every damn week. The results will take of themselves they stopped shutting the eff down. I mean honestly our kids didn’t make it to Iowa because their offense sucked. Where’s it go? Let’s get a technical coach in there and let these peacocks fly man
Iowa wrestlers aren’t taught how to scramble, and their far ankle defense and far ankle counter offense is pretty terrible.

So, they aren’t confident on their ability to wrestle someone equally capable. They realize, consciously or not, that they are less likely to win those 50-50 scrambles, so they don’t take anything but a perfect shot, which is pretty rare.

Look at a guy like Haines, Starocci or Brooks. Those guys are scoring a LOT of TDs on Iowa wrestlers by countering a bad Iowa shot. Starocci and Brooks were sick as dogs and both of them scored from far ankles against Kennedy and Glazier.

Iowa wrestlers aren’t taught how to scramble, and their far ankle defense and far ankle counter offense is pretty terrible.

So, they aren’t confident on their ability to wrestle someone equally capable. They realize, consciously or not, that they are less likely to win those 50-50 scrambles, so they don’t take anything but a perfect shot, which is pretty rare.

Look at a guy like Haines, Starocci or Brooks. Those guys are scoring a LOT of TDs on Iowa wrestlers by countering a bad Iowa shot. Starocci and Brooks were sick as dogs and both of them scored from far ankles against Kennedy and Glazier.
Besides a former PSU wrestler. Who would be a good fit for an assistant. We all know Tom ain’t going anywhere. Let’s review for a technical assistant.

Wrong - the transfer portal's been kind to PSU - Kerk, Mesenbrink, Truax, and Nagao scored 58.5 points.

how am i wrong? not saying their transfers haven’t been great but almost all champions are built not bought. the proof is right there. that doesn’t mean i think we should abandon the portal completely.

2021: zero
2022: 2 transfer champions
2023: zero
2024: half a transfer with kerk but like i said not sure he was ever enrolled at ohio st.

Not delusional at all there, but. Since 2007 only one other team has won a National Title besides PSU and Iowa. In that stretch they have put someone in the Finals every single year. Please feel free to not count Lee when you compare Iowa to everyone else. Just make sure you take their best wrestler out of the equation as well….
I’m not going to look up their streak of having someone in the championship rounds, but there are a lot schools out there with more than one champ since 2007:

Cornell: Dake, Gabe Dean, Yanni, Vito, and a few one timers
Oklahoma State: Jordan Oliver, Chris Perry, Dieringer, Heil, Ferrari
Ohio State: Stieber, Tomasello, Myles Martin, Snyder, Mendez
Michigan: Steve Luke, Kellen Russell, Suriano, Parris
VT: Mekhi Lewis and Henson

I’m done researching. The first 5 schools I looked up all had more national champions (number of wrestlers, not necessarily number of titles in the case of Virginia Tech) than Iowa since 2007.

I’m guessing that ASU would also have multiple winners. Robles and Valencia just off the top of my head. Stanford, Rutgers, Missouri, etc.

I guess what it all comes down to is I probably still agree with you that we’re still sitting as the second best overall program…but we’re so much closer to the field than we are #1

I’m not going to look up their streak of having someone in the championship rounds, but there are a lot schools out there with more than one champ since 2007:

Cornell: Dake, Gabe Dean, Yanni, Vito, and a few one timers
Oklahoma State: Jordan Oliver, Chris Perry, Dieringer, Heil, Ferrari
Ohio State: Stieber, Tomasello, Myles Martin, Snyder, Mendez
Michigan: Steve Luke, Kellen Russell, Suriano, Parris
VT: Mekhi Lewis and Henson

I’m done researching. The first 5 schools I looked up all had more national champions (number of wrestlers, not necessarily number of titles in the case of Virginia Tech) than Iowa since 2007.

I’m guessing that ASU would also have multiple winners. Robles and Valencia just off the top of my head. Stanford, Rutgers, Missouri, etc.

I guess what it all comes down to is I probably still agree with you that we’re still sitting as the second best overall program…but we’re so much closer to the field than we are #1
Iowa has had 8 guys win 13 titles since 2007.

Perry x2, Metcalf x2, McD x2, JayBo, St John, Ramos, Clark, and Spencer x3.

Iowa has had 8 guys win 13 titles since 2007.

Perry x2, Metcalf x2, McD x2, JayBo, St John, Ramos, Clark, and Spencer x3.
Nice. I was going off what someone posted earlier (or I just can’t read for crap) Seemed off to me, but I didn’t bother to look it up.

Seems Iowa is farther ahead of the pack than I gave them credit for. When you add in number of team titles and trophies, we are well ahead of the other programs not named PSU. This year was an obvious down year with the loss of 4 starters. Cass would have made a huge difference, and Brands gets us some points…we probably get another trophy.

EDIT: I see my error. 2007 was in reference to one other team winning a team title. 2017 was the year thrown out about individual champions.

Wrong - the transfer portal's been kind to PSU - Kerk, Mesenbrink, Truax, and Nagao scored 58.5 points.
Kerk and Mesenbrink are different transferring in before their freshman season to use all of their eligibility at the school. They’re more like re-recruits. Nagao and Truax did OK but weren’t really difference makers.

AH BOY!?!?!??! Can always sit around and point at different things and or make statistics prove a point by manipulating the numbers!

Yea, did not have a transfer WIN NC this year IF you want to use this year and discount KerKin as trying to prove a point? Posters own stats showed several champions from previous years, but does not tell the whole story now does it???

How many in the Finals? How many AAs? So the Portal can be a HUGE way to improve and quickly.

Then the beating of the dead horse continues WITHOUT anyone saying the most obvious things!!! 1) IOWA has been the best other team and 2) EVERYONE is WAY behind F*** st.

3) there is NO simple fix, Only a GET ON THEIR LEVEL fix.

Lets break it down once again using this season.

The great Kralure loses the supposed starting 125 AGAIN. they go to the sack and pull out Babyface cry baby! He is NO chop liver recruit!!!

133 they didn't have much you bring in an AA

141 the have PepeLaBu

149 their starter goes down, they plug in Krakass, again, NO slouch recruit

157 They have Hains another TOP guy

165 They HAD fructose, but go out and recruit over him with MessAshmit

174 you have starFish

184/ 197 need to fill one, bring in an AA and bump up an all-timer!

Heavy, recruit OVER you top guy again and bring in KerKin.

So here you have the NUMBERS GAME!!! I will make it MUCH MORE SIMPLE this time for the S L O W folk!!!

Say we are playing Poker. 5 card but I am getting delt 10 cards, 15, 20 etc.... You play your hand with the 5 and I'll play my hand with a lot more cards to chose from.

Yes you may beat me like IOWA beat F*** st a few years back, but my odds are significantly greater then yours! Once again, you can get a MONKEY to coach those guys and they will win!!!

NOW, HOW does IOWA get their? IF you believe bringing in ANY person would do it? I am ALL in for doing that. Maybe a Taylor, Askren, Borroughs, combination is in order???

AH BOY!?!?!??! Can always sit around and point at different things and or make statistics prove a point by manipulating the numbers!

Yea, did not have a transfer WIN NC this year IF you want to use this year and discount KerKin as trying to prove a point? Posters own stats showed several champions from previous years, but does not tell the whole story now does it???

How many in the Finals? How many AAs? So the Portal can be a HUGE way to improve and quickly.

Then the beating of the dead horse continues WITHOUT anyone saying the most obvious things!!! 1) IOWA has been the best other team and 2) EVERYONE is WAY behind F*** st.

The great Kralure loses the supposed starting 125 AGAIN. they go to the sack and pull out Babyface cry baby! He is NO chop liver recruit!!!

141 the have PepeLaBu

174 you have starFish

So here you have the NUMBERS GAME!!! I will make it MUCH MORE SIMPLE this time for the S L O W folk!!!

Say we are playing Poker. 5 card but I am getting delt 10 cards, 15, 20 etc.... You play your hand with the 5 and I'll play my hand with a lot more cards to chose from.

Yes you may beat me like IOWA beat F*** st a few years back, but my odds are significantly greater then yours! Once again, you can get a MONKEY to coach those guys and they will win!!!

NOW, HOW does IOWA get there? IF you believe bringing in ANY person would do it? I am ALL in for doing that. Maybe a Taylor, Askren, Borroughs, combination is in order???
Why bring in anybody at all??? Get better recruits and get that monkey.

I don’t even think Kerk ever attended Ohio St.

that’s my recollection. for some reason i feel like he signed up for classes but withdrew when snyder left to go to nlwc and didn’t actually attend. if that counts as a transfer then that’s fine but even if he counts there are not many transfers who end up champs

Reactions: bourbon n blues
also it feels strange that i ruffled so many feathers here by my observation. it’s not an attack on transfers. sometimes recruits don’t pan out and they are necessary.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Feel free to do the comparison. Make sure you remove their best guy, since you are removing Lee. After that, make sure to point out the years they had NO ONE in the Finals at all…
Teams with multiple national champions since 2107 and I’m sure I’m missing some

Rutgers
UNI
Cornell
Arizona State
Michigan
Some team in PA

edit to add maybe kerkvliet is considered a transfer but i don’t know if he ever enrolled at ohio state

I don’t even think Kerk ever attended Ohio St.
He was enrolled and in classes.
Two days prior to the first match (in November) he entered the portal.
He then finished the semester online.

This was a few weeks after Kyle Snyder changed RTCs.
The other part of the story, forgotten, is the Junior Worlds event that was a recruiting weekend for Penn State

If you attended 1 school and went to another after, there is no wordsmithing that changes that…
I used to see everything in black and white too but I had eye surgery and now can see the gray between the two. You argue for the sake of arguing. If you can't see the different between someone transferring in as a freshman versus someone transferring in as a grad student wrestler, no one can help you. You have to be willing to see the gray.

Teams with multiple national champions since 2107 and I’m sure I’m missing some

Rutgers
UNI
Cornell
Arizona State
Michigan
Some team in PA
From 2018 through 2024

PSU 22
Iowa 3
Rutgers 2
Cornell 6
ISU 2
ASU 3
VT 2
tOSU 2
N Iowa 2
MIZZ 2
MICH 2
NC 2
MINN 2
8 schools had one title each

OSU's only national champion since 2017 was Ferrari.

Last edited:
From 2018 through 2024

PSU 22
Iowa 3
Rutgers 2
Cornell 6
ISU 2
ASU 3
VT 2
tOSU 2
N Iowa 2
MIZZ 2
MICH 2
NC 2
MINN 2

Got Damn. It’s been PSU, and everybody else stuck in mediocrity.

Objectively speaking, Cornell has done an amazing job compared to everyone else not named PSU.

From 2018 through 2024

PSU 22
Iowa 3
Rutgers 2
Cornell 6
ISU 2
ASU 3
VT 2
tOSU 2
N Iowa 2
MIZZ 2
MICH 2
NC 2
MINN 2
8 schools had one title each

That’s not what I was responding to but teams who had multiple guys winning not multiple titles.

that’s my recollection. for some reason i feel like he signed up for classes but withdrew when snyder left to go to nlwc and didn’t actually attend. if that counts as a transfer then that’s fine but even if he counts there are not many transfers who end up champs
He did enroll at Ohio State and had to use the transfer portal to transfer to Penn State.

Reactions: vhsalum
I used to see everything in black and white too but I had eye surgery and now can see the gray between the two. You argue for the sake of arguing. If you can't see the different between someone transferring in as a freshman versus someone transferring in as a grad student wrestler, no one can help you. You have to be willing to see the gray.
Oh, I am well aware of the difference. I just find it comical that you make it seem like less of one because you get to benefit from it for MORE years instead of less. Considering how Brands accomplishments get diminished by so many because of his "VTech Transfers" even though they literally lost a year of eligibility to follow him,I can't help but point out the way you twisted it and make sure the fact they ARE still transfers and you actually benefit MORE from those TRANSFERS is clearly pointed out...

141 the have PepeLaBu

174 you have starFish

NOW, HOW does IOWA get their? IF you believe bringing in ANY person would do it? I am ALL in for doing that. Maybe a Taylor, Askren, Borroughs, combination is in order???
200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: doubleboots
Got Damn. It’s been PSU, and everybody else stuck in mediocrity.

Objectively speaking, Cornell has done an amazing job compared to everyone else not named PSU.
That list is number of titles. Cornell has done well overall, but the 6 titles are from only 2 guys (Yianni, Vito).

Oh, I am well aware of the difference. I just find it comical that you make it seem like less of one because you get to benefit from it for MORE years instead of less. Considering how Brands accomplishments get diminished by so many because of his "VTech Transfers" even though they literally lost a year of eligibility to follow him,I can't help but point out the way you twisted it and make sure the fact they ARE still transfers and you actually benefit MORE from those TRANSFERS is clearly pointed out...
I never diminished Brands for the VT transfers. He recruited those guys. Same as Cael did when he left ISU.

Reactions: Random4598375
That list is number of titles. Cornell has done well overall, but the 6 titles are from only 2 guys (Yianni, Vito).
I know, which is twice as many titles and twice as many wrestlers than Iowa. That’s the sad part, for everybody.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT