ADVERTISEMENT

Hlas podcast with Brian Ferentz

OnceAhawk

HB MVP
Jan 29, 2015
The podcast was posted OCTOBER 21, 2015, 3:33 PM

Iowa offensive line coach Brian Ferentz is the guest on the Gazette's Mike Hlas Podcast.

“Why aren't we Iowa football?” he says was a question that was asked after last season

BF talks about Kirk Ferentz and his staff pinpointing problems and addressing them.

BF also discusses

* how his offensive line has become so efficient this season despite in-season injuries to starters, and role-changes for some of his blockers.

* why he left a job with the New England Patriots to work for his father.

Link to podcast: http://www.thegazette.com/sports/hlas-podcast-brian-ferentz-20151021

Reactions: ichawk24
It's a MUST listen. Excellent work by Hlas and really appreciate Brian's perspective. Unfortunately it hasn't updated to the various podcast apps yet, but it's well worth the time.

Brian may become a better head coach than his father.

Lots of people that have half of a brain are begining to realize what an asset Brian is. There is a reason that Bill O'Brien came calling for him when he got the gig with the Texans. If KF coaches out the rest of his contract and decides to hang em up afterwards, I think BF will be a very strong candidate to fill his fathers shoes.

Reactions: ichawk24
I think Brian has done a great job with the OL this year. That being said, he was arrogant dude. Don't get me wrong, I like him as a coach and want him at Iowa, but no way would I want to hang out with him. Sorry, just my opinion.

I believe Brian F exhibits lots of confidence and capability that many might mistake for arrogance. Hlas even broached that subject via one of his questions during the interview.

Lots of views, very little comment on this interview. Could it be that he shines too much light on many of yours incredulity?

It was a great interview. Fact! :D

Lots of views, very little comment on this interview. Could it be that he shines too much light on many of yours incredulity?

It was a great interview. Fact! :D

I love the fact the assistants seem to be granting more interviews than we've seen in the past. Brian even alluded to that in the interview with Hlas, suggesting he respects the jobs folks in the media have to do. I loved Brian's comments about the guys on Gameday, and how he knows some of them played ball, but you often wouldn't know it from the way they talk or predict outcomes. Also loved his comments about his Dad, and the courage it took to soul search and be self critical with all the success he had in the past and at this stage in life, not everyone is able/willing to do that.

Brian speaks well beyond his age, a great deal of respect for the game, humility but also an incredible amount of self confidence. There were times during the interview where I could have sworn it was Kirk talking, not only sounding alike but similar thoughts and expressions. I get the sense that Brian really enjoys coaching at the college level...I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up back at the NFL level at some point, but also think he would be perfectly happy staying in the college ranks. It will be interesting to see his career path the next couple years. Kirk advised Brian to leave the house so to speak and learn from others, which he did with the Patriots. You wonder if Brian will attempt to move up the ladder at another institution or wait for the OC position to open up at Iowa in the next couple years. I can't imagine Greg Davis is in any hurry to retire, not with CJB entering his senior year next year, but could see him wanting to perhaps get out after he graduates. Some very interesting storylines could develop in the next couple years. If Brian were to leave to spread his wings once again, it would be a huge loss for this program. Based one what we've seen from Brian, I would have no problem with him taking over in 5 years or so; his fire, passion and knowledge of what it takes to be successful at Iowa are invaluable and he really seems to be a rising star in the coaching profession.

A very impressive young man. He will definitely be a head coach someday.

Very thoughtful and confident. That boy can talk too. But unlike many, he has a good presence when speaking so you don't realize when he goes on for 5 minutes. He actually says things.

Love his brutal honesty . I do see how he might really piss off other programs. Almost like a Beliema kind of way but not ao much the douchey part.

Oh, and it is obvious they read message boards and media reports etc.

Brian might be one as a HC thst in tough times could have an icy relationship with the media. May not be as diplomatic as Kirk at times but has the similar snark factor.

I believe Brian F exhibits lots of confidence and capability that many might mistake for arrogance. Hlas even broached that subject via one of his questions during the interview.
I can see why you would think that, but I've met him twice in person and he is definitely arrogant. To each his own. If his arrogance means more wins for us, great!
I did like how he admitted that Kirk didn't want to be remembered as losing. Kudos to this coaching staff for realizing what they were doing wasn't working.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT