ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz Era, What Happened?

The Hawkeyes were looking good and at times really good with the Ferentz/Ferentz coaching combo.

2018 Iowa finishes 25th with a 9-4 record and an offensive points per game ranked 31st/133.
2019 Iowa finishes 15th with a 10-3 record.
2020 Iowa finishes 19th with a 6-2 record and an offensive points per game ranked 40th/133.
-then-
2021 Iowa finishes 10-4 but the offense is starting to lag. Finished 99th/133 in offensive points per game.
2022 and 2023 that weakening trend continues. And here we are.

So Iowa is looking good to really good in 2018, 2019, 2020 with Brian as the OC and that includes having a good to really good offense in points per game. Then things start to slide during the 2021 season, what happened?

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised all the BF haters are so quick to forget the string of success especially because Iowa was trending in the right direction from 2018 to 2021. 40th to 33rd in offensive ppg....what happened?
Our OL is brutal and our passing game stinks. Two bad combinations. Stanley threw for 26 tds twice in 3 seasons. I think we have thrown for 31 tds in the last 4 seasons since.

• Wow
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
It never really been good under Brian

YPP
2017 108th 5.1
2018 91st 5.4
2019 86th 5.52
2020 86th 5.42
2021 120th 4.67
2022 129th 4.24
2023 132nd 4.1

It only seems better in the early years since it is beyond embarrassingly bad the last 3 years

Reactions: peacehawk
To BF credit, the OLine was really good when he took over as offensive coordinator. He did a good job coaching up guys and putting them in a position to be successful as a position coach. Our current OLine coach, Barnett, SUCKS! I get we have guys who might get beat at times physically, but we all remember the picture from last year where the entire line is pass blocking to the left (both guard and tackle are blocking air) while the DE comes untouched off the edge. The OLine looks confused way too often. Without a change at the OLine coaching position, we will continue to struggle!

As others have mentioned, Doyle getting removed and KOK no longer babysitting BF hurt him. I’m not sure BF was ever ready to be OC, but KOK at least gave him someone to talk to about issues in game. I didn’t think Budmyr has helped in that regard at all. I pray he doesn’t end up as the OC.

To BF credit, the OLine was really good when he took over as offensive coordinator. He did a good job coaching up guys and putting them in a position to be successful as a position coach. Our current OLine coach, Barnett, SUCKS! I get we have guys who might get beat at times physically, but we all remember the picture from last year where the entire line is pass blocking to the left (both guard and tackle are blocking air) while the DE comes untouched off the edge. The OLine looks confused way too often. Without a change at the OLine coaching position, we will continue to struggle!

As others have mentioned, Doyle getting removed and KOK no longer babysitting BF hurt him. I’m not sure BF was ever ready to be OC, but KOK at least gave him someone to talk to about issues in game. I didn’t think Budmyr has helped in that regard at all. I pray he doesn’t end up as the OC.
begs the question, once Barnett & Budmayr get 'fully evaluated' in the off season by The Dean, will they be back again or just rearranged on the staff?:rolleyes:

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT