ADVERTISEMENT

Todd Lickliter vs. Brian Ferentz

Steamboat529529

HR All-American
May 27, 2021
I was trying to determine between Todd Lickliter or Brian Ferentz who was the worse higher at the University of Iowa. And surprisingly I think it’s Brian.

Rationale:

Term - Todd Lickliter only lasted three years. Brian has been here six or seven as offensive coordinator.

Performance - Todd Lickliter never led the worst unit/team in the big ten conference, let alone the country and for multiple years.

Pay - John Lickliter took a lot of flack but he wasn’t getting paid. Brian is making a million a year.

Details - Both were boring to watch.

Nepotism - John obviously wasn’t a big ten player and Todd played him but I think injuries were involved and he only played like maybe the last two thirds of one season maybe?!?

Missed Opportunities - Iowa football’s best chance at a big ten title might have been these past three years. A span that is unlikely to ever happen again.

Anybody have any thoughts? Maybe I have recency bias? The number of wins argument rings hollow in a sport like football.

Last edited:
I was trying to determine between Todd Lickliter or Brian Ferentz who was the worse higher at the University of Iowa. And surprisingly I think it’s Brian.

Rationale:

Term - Lickliter only lasted three years. Brian has been here six or seven as offensive coordinator.

Performance - Lickliter never led the worst unit/team in the big ten conference, let alone the country and for multiple years.

Pay - John Lickliter took a lot of flack but he wasn’t getting paid. Brian is making a million a year.

Nepotism - John obviously wasn’t a big ten player but I think injuries were involved and he only played like maybe the last two thirds of one season maybe?!?

Missed Opportunities - Iowa football’s best chance at a big ten title might have been these past three years. A span that is unlikely to ever happen again.

Anybody have any thoughts? Maybe I have decency bias? The number of wins argument rings hollow in a sport like football.
Little fact check:
-Lick made more than BF, as he signed at $1.2 million and likely made more with call in shows. And that was the dollars 15 years ago.

-BF is making $850k, but has incentives that can kick it over a mil, but he is certainly not on track to hit those.

The typos in your post are pretty funny.

The biggest difference is that Lickliter declared himself terrible in only 3 seasons.

I was already pretty fed up with BF after 3 seasons but I had a glimmer of hope. '21-'23 have been at least as bad for BF as they were for Lick's 3 seasons as far as such plain awful coaching performance and being way over their heads.

Of course the biggest difference is that BF has a defense and special teams to lean on, so the team record isn't nearly as atrocious as the men's bb team record under Lick.

Little fact check:
-Lick made more than BF, as he signed at $1.2 million and likely made more with call in shows. And that was the dollars 15 years ago.

-BF is making $850k, but has incentives that can kick it over a mil, but he is certainly not on track to hit those.
I know what Todd made. John didn’t make a penny. But that was the biggest issue was his playing his son at the end, along with the losing. But that only was for one season if I remember correctly?!?

Rationale:

Term - Lickliter only lasted three years. Brian has been here six or seven as offensive coordinator.

Performance - Lickliter never led the worst unit/team in the big ten conference, let alone the country and for multiple years.

Nepotism - John obviously wasn’t a big ten player but I think injuries were involved and he only played like maybe the last two thirds of one season maybe?!?

Anybody have any thoughts? Maybe I have decency bias? The number of wins argument rings hollow in a sport like football.
I will agree with you that the hawks had a defense and special teams to win Big 10 championships with even a 60th ranked offense. they could have won it the last 2 years so really Kirk is failing his own legacy. I am not going to compare an OC with a head coach except to say they both slid down into terrible performance metrics.

Let’s see:
Todd wouldn’t run if a building was on fire, Brian can’t run the ball.
Todd captained a BB team that scored at a historically low rate, Brian the same
Todd used a scholarship on lil Lick, Brian used his scholarship to live in free housing while his dad made a mid 7 figure salary.
Todd was good at butler because of his assistant coaches, Brian gets credit for wins due to his dads assistant coaches.

There’s probably more, but basically a push. Both set a major college sport back that it will take a generation to recover from.

Rationale:

Term - Todd Lickliter only lasted three years. Brian has been here six or seven as offensive coordinator.

Performance - Todd Lickliter never led the worst unit/team in the big ten conference, let alone the country and for multiple years.

Nepotism - John obviously wasn’t a big ten player and Todd played him but I think injuries were involved and he only played like maybe the last two thirds of one season maybe?!?

Anybody have any thoughts? Maybe I have recency bias? The number of wins argument rings hollow in a sport like football.

What wins do I even remember during Lickliter era that stand out 🤔

Brian Ferentz had some outstanding wins the offense clearly contributed to from 2017 to 2021, with the 23-20 win in Kinnick over Penn State. From 2017 to 2019, Iowa had better moments over the course of 3 seasons, with a 3-year starter at QB. First road start at ISU was impressive win. Yes, some ugly moments too!

Then, the past two years over now three seasons. Ugly football on offense. Severe regression.

2024 can't arrive soon enough for Iowa needing a fresh new start with a new OC.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
The biggest difference is you could see Lick getting ready to blow a gasket. That vein was HUGE. All I've seen from Brian is the rando tossing of the headset.

Also, Lick killed Iowa bball. At least Brian has only killed the offense.

The biggest difference is you could see Lick getting ready to blow a gasket. That vein was HUGE. All I've seen from Brian is the rando tossing of the headset.

Brian and Kirk have killed iowa football. It will take a long time to recover from this. I don’t see any help offensively unless it’s in the portal.

Rationale:

Learn how to spell.

As bad as Brian has been on offense now, there’s no comparison imo. The football program overall is in good shape.

Lickliter cratered the hoops program so badly that one could argue it still hasn’t fully recovered.

Brian Ferentz had some outstanding wins the offense clearly contributed to from 2017 to 2021, with the 23-20 win in Kinnick over Penn State. From 2017 to 2019, Iowa had better moments over the course of 3 seasons, with a 3-year starter at QB. First road start at ISU was impressive win. Yes, some ugly moments too!

Then, the past two years over now three seasons. Ugly football on offense. Severe regression.

Totally agree.

For every '17 OSU, USC Holiday Bowl theres the 66 yards against Wisky and the Penn St game this year. Oh and 150 yards against SDSU. Oh and the Illinois game last year. Oh and the Gopher game this year. Oh and the well we all get the point

I think Iowa beat a top ranked MSU team? something like 39-36? I was in Hawaii. My brother texted me the score. I replied, Half time score? He replied Iowa won!!

Reactions: cidsports

Rationale:

typos or WOBs?

As bad as Brian has been on offense now, there’s no comparison imo. The football program overall is in good shape.

Lickliter cratered the hoops program so badly that one could argue it still hasn’t fully recovered.
True, we were actually lucky to land Fran considering what Iowa BB looked like after Lick. We were a laughing stock….again 🙆🏻‍♂️

True, we were actually lucky to land Fran considering what Iowa BB looked like after Lick. We were a laughing stock….again 🙆🏻‍♂️
I mean Lick was not good, and the John stuff didn’t help, but we were never a national laughingstock like right now. We were simply a bad basketball team/program.

This comparison is silly and requires IowaLaw's objective approach.

-Lick was hired after coming off a Sweet 16 appearance and being awarded National Coach of the Year.
-Brian was hired after his dad got him a towel boy job with the Patriots.

-Lick's son walked on at Iowa and played less than 1 min per game.
-Brian received a full ride scholarship, despite being mediocre in high school, and decided to commit fraud to live for free in Section 8 housing intended for the indigent.

-Licks teams were terrible, but they still beat #6 Michigan State.
-Brian's offense is abysmal and, without the stellar defense, would not beat Drake.

-The Lick era ended after just 3 years because Lick was evaluated based on performance.
-Brian is in his 11th year at Iowa, 6th as OC, and still has a job because he is evaluated based on who his dad is.

Reactions: peacehawk

-Lick was hired after coming off a Sweet 16 appearance and being awarded National Coach of the Year.

-Brian received a full ride scholarship, despite being mediocre in high school, and decided to commit fraud to live for free in Section 8 housing intended for the indigent.

-Brian's offense is abysmal and, without the stellar defense, would not beat Drake.

-The Lick era ended after just 3 years because Lick was evaluated based on performance.
-Brian is in his 11th year at Iowa, 6th as OC, and still has a job because he is evaluated based on who his dad is.
I don’t hate it IowasLaw.

A bit of hyperbole here. Brian started as a scouting assistant with the Patriots before working his way up to position coach. He also wasn't what I would call mediocre in high school considering mediocre players don't start at center for a Big Ten champion before making a practice squad for a year in the NFL. Ferentz only gave 2 of his 3 sons a scholarship, so it isn't like he did it just because.

Lil Lick played over 8 minutes per game for a Big Ten team before transferring to a D3 school where he didn't even start his next year.

In Lick's 2nd and 3rd seasons he finished 2nd to last in the entire conference. Winning a single game against a ranked team that was overrated, and doing it your first year with a different coach's recruits, is not anything to be ringing a bell about. Thank God Lick was fired. Most of us on here were afraid that Barta wouldn't pull the trigger after three years.

Brian's inability to put up 25 points has cost us 3 division titles so far, and this year may be another one. So I agree that he has really hurt our success. But we also aren't camping out at the bottom of the Big Ten standings like we were with Lick.

A bit of hyperbole here. Brian started as a scouting assistant with the Patriots before working his way up to position coach. He also wasn't what I would call mediocre in high school considering mediocre players don't start at center for a Big Ten champion before making a practice squad for a year in the NFL. Ferentz only gave 2 of his 3 sons a scholarship, so it isn't like he did it just because.

Lil Lick played over 8 minutes per game for a Big Ten team before transferring to a D3 school where he didn't even start his next year.

In Lick's 2nd and 3rd seasons he finished 2nd to last in the entire conference. Winning a single game against a ranked team that was overrated, and doing it your first year with a different coach's recruits, is not anything to be ringing a bell about. Thank God Lick was fired. Most of us on here were afraid that Barta wouldn't pull the trigger after three years.

Brian's inability to put up 25 points has cost us 3 division titles so far, and this year may be another one. So I agree that he has really hurt our success. But we also aren't camping out at the bottom of the Big Ten standings like we were with Lick.

I mean, Lick killed mens hoops to the point that they were barely getting 50% attendance at carver his last year. Iowa football sold out kinnick two years running.

I still don’t think men’s hoops has fully recovered in terms of fan support.

Lick was a lazy recruiter. His last class was decent but he hated recruiting and didn’t pay attention to the AAU circuit. Looking back it was Brad Stevens who made Lick at Butler. He was on his was to Iowa City to stay on his staff when he took a ball and was offered the Butler job. Then he turned around and drove back and the rest is history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT