ADVERTISEMENT

Holy Krikeys! Just Got my Home Owners Insurance Premium “Notice”……

Kinda dreading when mine comes up due November 1. It's gone up a steady (roughly) 10% each the last 3 years but something tells me this renewal is going to be worse.

Yeah, between that and property tax increases the average American is going to be spending thousands more a year while getting nothing new in return. Bidenomics has been an unmitigated disaster
Well, I sure hope Trump fixes this next year when he's president. No excuses

It’s pretty simple Joel. The material and labor cost to rebuild or repair your dwelling are up 30-40% in the past four years. That’s Bidenomics.
Bidenomics? Or Covid supply shortages and a little corporate greed? Prices jumped hard very early in 2021 but have been on the up ever since 2008 and the mortgage crash. It’s a helluva lot more than “Bidenomics”….the Trump tax cuts were ill-timed and mis-=aimed…..

Reactions: Kelsers
Our house insurance was going up significantly as well we increased our deductable from $1000 to $1500 to offset it, the premium increase was more than $500.

Our auto insurance through Progressive also jumped, after having them for 20 years and no claims in likely 15, they were increasing by 40% so we dropped them and went with Grinnell Mutual so we could bundle our house/auto.

Our agent said all home insurance companies were increasing premiums to offset the insane amounts of weather claims in recent years.

The insurance companies (and more importantly, the secondary insurance companies who insure the primary insurance companies) have latched on to the "climate change crisis" as an excuse to rape all of us.

As a devout capitalist, it pains me to admit this, but the "sky is falling" crowd allowed them to do this.
You are so silly putting it politely.

Did I move to Florida? Yikes!

55+% increase…..haven’t made a claim in nearly 20 years……Whew…….(coverages identical to last year)
Good luck with yours!
I have faith that an experienced inflation busting shopper like you can navigate these treacherous waters and emerge with a savings.

It’s interesting that contents of your dwelling in a large number of states is dictated at 50% of your home replacement value. So if replacement value of your home is 700k then you are forced to insure the contents for 350k. But, if you did lose all the contents in a disaster, you still have to prove you had 350k worth.
Show me anybody with 350k worth of stuff in their house.
Insurance companies own our state legislatures.

It’s interesting that contents of your dwelling in a large number of states is dictated at 50% of your home replacement value. So if replacement value of your home is 700k then you are forced to insure the contents for 350k. But, if you did lose all the contents in a disaster, you still have to prove you had 350k worth.
Show me anybody with 350k worth of stuff in their house.
Insurance companies own our state legislatures.
I have a house that is worth maybe $800 and the stuff inside would cost me $500 to replace. I have many hand made rugs, antique furnishings, and a decent art collection. Wife’s jewelry, and all my Iowa athletics ticket stubs are worth a mint.

I have a house that is worth maybe $800 and the stuff inside would cost me $500 to replace. I have many hand made rugs, antique furnishings, and a decent art collection. Wife’s jewelry, and all my Iowa athletics ticket stubs are worth a mint.
Do you have your Iowa tix stacked and marked…..” offense” and “no offense”….??

• Haha
Reactions: Dr. Phil Seuss
The insurance companies (and more importantly, the secondary insurance companies who insure the primary insurance companies) have latched on to the "climate change crisis" as an excuse to rape all of us.

As a devout capitalist, it pains me to admit this, but the "sky is falling" crowd allowed them to do this.
A notable reinsurer, Grinnell Mutual, has lost near 20% of their surplus in the last two years. Their financials are online if you want to look. I work in the industry and reinsurance costs due to unprecedented storm activity is one of the largest drivers of the insurance market right now. How did you came to the conclusion that this was just an excuse?

A notable reinsurer, Grinnell Mutual, has lost near 20% of their surplus in the last two years. Their financials are online if you want to look. I work in the industry and reinsurance costs due to unprecedented storm activity is one of the largest drivers of the insurance market right now. How did you came to the conclusion that this was just an excuse?

Lawyers are BIG part of this problem, too. It's not just an increase in actual damage claims, adjusted for inflation. It's also an increase in litigation.

Thank you for your perspective.

Lawyers are BIG part of this problem, too. It's not just an increase in actual damage claims, adjusted for inflation. It's also an increase in litigation.

Thank you for your perspective.
It’s really not as much as you’re making it out to be. Does it add? Yes, but the sheer number of claims across the state due to things like derechos is staggering. If you were to actually look at a listing of paid losses for companies in Iowa from the early 2000’s, compared to now, you wouldn’t be making this argument.

I’m curious. Do you work in insurance? What is the basis for your perspective?

Last edited:
It’s pretty simple Joel. The material and labor cost to rebuild or repair your dwelling are up 30-40% in the past four years. That’s Bidenomics.
Morons. What specific policies will Donald Trump implement to tame inflation?

Although actually inflation is already tamed with Bidenomics. We may have ended up with the stagflation that's afflicted other 1st world countries (see the UK) if the Republicans had been in charge the last 4 years.

We keep going through this cycle. Democratic President leaves economy in solid or excellent shape for Republican President, economy collapses under Republican President, Dem President cleans up the mess. Hopefully we're not going to have to go through that cycle again with Mr Tariff's, Mass Deportations, and tax cuts for the wealthy coming back into office.

Did I move to Florida? Yikes!

55+% increase…..haven’t made a claim in nearly 20 years……Whew…….(coverages identical to last year)
Good luck with yours!
Jut got mine in NJ from State Farm.

"Expect a 26% increase."

Global warming is the true driver. Big and more storms means bigger and more claims.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT