ADVERTISEMENT

Homemade Indian Food

McLovin32

HB Legend
Feb 1, 2008
Anyone have any good recipes? I’ve been on an Indian food kick lately. Made some chicken korma tonight. Marinated the chicken with a curry dry rub then sautéed it, added some onions, and then a pre-made korma sauce. Then added some extra chili powder and hot sauce to pick up the spice a bit. Served it over rice. This was my first time, and it turned out great. So next time I’m thinking I’ll attempt to make my own sauce instead of using Patak’s premade stuff. Any recipe suggestions are more than welcomed.

Reactions: Rudolph
I love Indian food, but I typically don’t bother making it at home. By the time I buy all the spices and ingredients, I’ve spent $50 to make a meal I could get for $15 at my favorite Indian restaurants.

I like this chana masala recipe.

1 onion (or 1/2 onion and two shallots) chopped, one seeded shipped jalapeño, 1 inch ginger chopped, 4 garlic cloves chopped - grind into paste with food processor

Fry 3 bay leaves in olive oil. Add paste and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden

add 1 tsp Garamond masala, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric and cook spices for 1 minute

Add 1 container of Pomi strained tomatoes & 1 can chick peas. Cooked till warm

serve with cilantro, Greek yogurt, naan and rice

Please don't use pre-made sauces. I am of Indian American ethnicity so I think I have some street cred on this thread. If you want to make korma, which is a kashmiri dish, go to an Indian store, get a korma packet. They come in either dry or as a paste. Use half that packet to 2lbs chicken or goat or beef. Marinate that meat with 2 heaping tbs of yogurt (greek style) your half packet and 2 tbs of ginger garlic paste (also available premade). Cover and put it fridge overnight. Also, buy some almond flour. You can get that in HyVee in those tubs. Next day, chop up one large onion till it is translucent. Use a half combo of neutral oil and butter (will substitute for ghee) and then once your onion has wilted add your marinated meat. Let it braise. Once braised add 2 cups of water and 2 tbs of almond flour. Mix. Put on low heat with a lid. If you want it to be authentic add a few dried apricots. Let that go for an hour or till the meat starts tenderizing. Then, cook for an additional hour till the gravy has thickened. Stir every 15 minutes. Serve with basmati rice or nan/roti. Enjoy!

I love Indian food, but I typically don’t bother making it at home. By the time I buy all the spices and ingredients, I’ve spent $50 to make a meal I could get for $15 at my favorite Indian restaurants.
this.

Save a step...

d0811d5884909a31bcd14f27bf7a72e5.gif

Anyone have any good recipes? I’ve been on an Indian food kick lately. Made some chicken korma tonight. Marinated the chicken with a curry dry rub then sautéed it, added some onions, and then a pre-made korma sauce. Then added some extra chili powder and hot sauce to pick up the spice a bit. Served it over rice. This was my first time, and it turned out great. So next time I’m thinking I’ll attempt to make my own sauce instead of using Patak’s premade stuff. Any recipe suggestions are more than welcomed.

Have you ever eaten at Taj Mahal on Center Point Rd or Taste of India on Old Marion Rd? They always smell good, and I like Indian food, but I haven't been to either one yet.

Reactions: McLovin32
But you'll have the spices for the next time and the next time and the next time...
That’s a good point. Three years from now the spices will have solidified into a block and I’ll be trying to remember when I bought them.

That’s a good point. Three years from now the spices will have solidified into a block and I’ll be trying to remember when I bought them.

Put some rice in the container....keep it from doing that. But really spices should be changed out every 6 months

Have you ever eaten at Taj Mahal on Center Point Rd or Taste of India on Old Marion Rd? They always smell good, and I like Indian food, but I haven't been to either one yet.
I’ve been to both. Personally I think Taste of India is much better than Taj Mahal. But I know a couple people that think differently.

Put some rice in the container....keep it from doing that. But really spices should be changed out every 6 months
If you do keep spices for longer, put them in a air tight container. When you do use them, toast them in a skillet for a few minutes on medium heat. When your kitchen starts smelling like a curry house, stop :) Grind them when they cool and use them.

I’ve been to both. Personally I think Taste of India is much better than Taj Mahal. But I know a couple people that think differently.
I prefer Taj. The ambience at Taj unfortunately is ass. The other place has a better interior but sadly Iowa lacks a high class Indian restaurant unlike say DC. Still better than 0 I suppose and better than India Cafe in Iowa City.

If you guys do like interesting Indian-Chinese fusion cooking, order Gobi or Chicken Manchurian at Taste of India. You'll thank me.

Gobi is battered fried cauliflower fyi.

Reactions: McLovin32
Indian food is fantastic. Lamb Vindaloo and some garlic naan for me.
Lamb Vindaloo is actually a Portugese Indian dish much like Tempura is a Portugese Japanese dish. Authentic vindaloo as the name indicates is made with vinegar, thus the "vin" part. There are some good recipes out there but it should have a tang to offset the heat. Chase that with an ice cold IPA.

Reactions: Dorrman
If there's ever a hrot tailgate, I'd get some Indian food over!

I entered a one-pot cooking contest one time and made lamb keema. I thought it was the best and seemed to be a big hit, but didn't place in the contest.

There is a British pub in Houston that has really good Brit-Indo-Tex food. The do curry and a pint for $22 on Tuesday. Good stuff.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I prefer Taj. The ambience at Taj unfortunately is ass. The other place has a better interior but sadly Iowa lacks a high class Indian restaurant unlike say DC. Still better than 0 I suppose and better than India Cafe in Iowa City.
Have you tried Paradise yet? I think it’s fairly new.

I have a recipe of Indian food that is moist and has a fishy taste to it if you want? I know @Rudolph has had a taste of it a couple of times from what he tells me

Do you have an Instant Pot or a Pressure Cooker? If so, Butter Chicken.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT