ADVERTISEMENT

Hope Bohannon shuts it down

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
After watching these first 5 games I am hoping Bohannon shuts it down after Syracuse. His shot isn't there this year due to his lift in his jump shot looking strained. He runs around fine but anytime he needs to go vertical you can tell there is strain in his body. Once the B1G season kicks off the full grind is going to kick in. I can't see him staying healthy enough to play extended minutes.

I think this team can be a bubble team as they all adapt to their new roles this year and the youngsters grow. Next year could be among the best of the Fran tenure. I really like Frederick's and Toussaint's games right now and think both could take major leaps next year. If both Garza and Weiskamp come back you're talking two stars. Nunge in another year could be a consistent 8-10ppg, 5rpg game guy that can help stretch the post. If a healthy Bohannon comes back this team could be loaded and be a very experienced and talented team that could contend for top 3 B1G.

If this team is to be much better next year they are going to need Patrick to show he is a top75 talent from his class and one of the new recruits (Perkins) is going to have to be a player coming in that can contribute.

Regardless this team will still have trouble at the 4 which is just a gaping black hole right now talent wise on this squad.

Reactions: Bee93
If this team is to be much better next year they are going to need Patrick to show he is a top75 talent from his class and one of the new recruits (Perkins) is going to have to be a player coming in that can contribute.

PG Toussaint
SG Bohannon
W Weiskamp
F Nunge
C Garza

G Frederick
G Connor
F Pat
F Pemsl

Is a loaded team.

After watching these first 5 games I am hoping Bohannon shuts it down after Syracuse. His shot isn't there this year due to his lift in his jump shot looking strained. He runs around fine but anytime he needs to go vertical you can tell there is strain in his body. Once the B1G season kicks off the full grind is going to kick in. I can't see him staying healthy enough to play extended minutes.

I think this team can be a bubble team as they all adapt to their new roles this year and the youngsters grow. Next year could be among the best of the Fran tenure. I really like Frederick's and Toussaint's games right now and think both could take major leaps next year. If both Garza and Weiskamp come back you're talking two stars. Nunge in another year could be a consistent 8-10ppg, 5rpg game guy that can help stretch the post. If a healthy Bohannon comes back this team could be loaded and be a very experienced and talented team that could contend for top 3 B1G.

His shooting percentage through 4 games is absolutely abysmal. He's shooting 33% from the field, and 30% from 3. He was in the 40's in both categories two years ago.

He also has been jacking up 7 shots a game. 33% on 7 shots hurts us as a team.

He looks off. I really don't understand why he's still playing.

Neither Garza or JW are going anywhere.

Anyone worried that he might set this year and if things go bad for the team might grad transfer next year to a stronger program ala Moss?

PG Toussaint
SG Bohannon
W Weiskamp
F Nunge
C Garza

G Frederick
G Connor
F Pat
F Pemsl

Is a loaded team.

Until Nunge shows he can do anything against higher level players we have a hole at the 4 position. Also, that team is incredibly slow footed compared to the P5 teams they would be competing against and it will show. Fran needs to find an athletic 4 or 2 that can dribble drive, I am holding out hope that even a lean Patrick can fill that role bc right now Nunge isn't getting it done and I don't see that changing anytime soon based on what we are seeing on the court.

Maybe I am too down on that kid but I just don't think he has "it", whatever "it" is, for this level of competition. What seems to be holding him back is what is between his ears and a lack of fire in his belly.

Let him play while he can. They said it isn't likely to hurt him any and his time off the court will be a long haul for him, just like Jess Settles said.
The Tou got some good time last night and he is starting to settle in a little bit. One more game to hopefully have plentytime to get him more court time and he should be able to take up a little of the slack from missing JBo and hopefully Weez, CJF and Connor can add the scoring that will be missed.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
I personally think its getting to a point its becoming a distraction. They have been talking about 'will he redshirt or wont he redshirt" for months now. If he plays this year, there is no guarantee he starts. If he plays next year, other players may also improve so there is no guarantee that he starts. He knows what hes gonna do. Fran knows what hes gonna do. So just make a decision already because its starting to look a little 'desperate for attention' if you ask me. And trust me, if he redshirts then all the talk will be 'Will the NCAA grant him his redshirt?'. Enough already. OK, I am done complaining now!

Reactions: RocknRollface
Nunge is having issues between the ears right now. I don't see a lot of confidence in his game right now and he is slow to react because of this. He definitely has a plus game as a stretch 4 if he can shake off the rust and gain confidence.

I personally think its getting to a point its becoming a distraction. They have been talking about 'will he redshirt or wont he redshirt" for months now. If he plays this year, there is no guarantee he starts. If he plays next year, other players may also improve so there is no guarantee that he starts. He knows what hes gonna do. Fran knows what hes gonna do. So just make a decision already because its starting to look a little 'desperate for attention' if you ask me. And trust me, if he redshirts then all the talk will be 'Will the NCAA grant him his redshirt?'. Enough already. OK, I am done complaining now!

My guess is that Fran and team know what he is going to do already and its likely Bohannon will shut it down. I think Fran and Bohannon also know how important the non-con is going to be this year (Vegas games + Syracuse) and they're hoping Bohannon be the guy that helps the team net 2-3 wins during that stretch before shutting him down. Right now though his shot has looked bad and he looks to be only 75% himself. For that reason I would say shut him down now and start letting Frederick and Toussaint get extended minutes. Would love to see them both getting 23-25 mpg.

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
Anyone worried that he might set this year and if things go bad for the team might grad transfer next year to a stronger program ala Moss?
Nope.

We don't know why Moss left, but two reasonable possibilities are that he was just tired of dealing with Fran(and vice versa) and/or he thinks he can make it in the NBA. I have no reason to think either of those are in play with Bohannon. Haven't heard word one about him having issues with Fran or Fran with him. And I'd be very surprised if he had any illusions that he is capable of playing in the NBA.
Not sure how "things go bad for the team" this year would be a factor. Short of a mass player exodus, what other issues would be included?
Unless someone gives a plausible reason, it would seem so remotely unlikely that JBo would grad transfer that it's not a factor worth considering.

It’s also a bad look to come out and say “I’m going to play as many games as I possibly can then take a redshirt.” He doesn’t want to come across like he’s trying to work the system and risk the NCAA not granting him the medical redshirt year

It’s also a bad look to come out and say “I’m going to play as many games as I possibly can then take a redshirt.” He doesn’t want to come across like he’s trying to work the system and risk the NCAA not granting him the medical redshirt year
I agree. But that's what hes doing without saying it so it leaves even more up for interpretation with the NCAA. Trust me, that's the next part of this story line. I guess its all about the drama.

I agree. But that's what hes doing without saying it so it leaves even more up for interpretation with the NCAA. Trust me, that's the next part of this story line. I guess its all about the drama.
Yeah it’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out. I predict that after reaching the maximum (or close to) number of games he can play, Jordan will say that he’s playing through too much pain and is going to shut it down, and that will be that. I’d think that would be pretty tough for the NCAA to question

Patrick and Bohannon both need to redshirt
for medical reasons and get healthy for next
season. Their minutes need to be given to
guys who are healthy during our non-conf
schedule.

He is not himself. He can't guard. I don't know why he is torturing himself. Get some rest and get healed up young man. Your star can shine next season.
It was clear last night that he struggles to move laterally. My hunch is he is "torturing himself" because he wants to play this year and hopes to see progress as he plays in a few games. It's amazing he gotten to this point relatively quickly, so that may be giving him (false?) hope.

The kid who missed a FT on purpose so he would NOT break Chris Street's record? I would be shocked and amazed if Jordan B decided to grad transfer next year.

Jordan is an intelligent, insightful young man, and I think he will--and should--take a medical red shirt this season and come back 100% healthy and enjoy a terrific senior season in an Iowa Hawkeye uniform.

The kid who missed a FT on purpose so he would NOT break Chris Street's record? I would be shocked and amazed if Jordan B decided to grad transfer next year.

Jordan is an intelligent, insightful young man, and I think he will--and should--take a medical red shirt this season and come back 100% healthy and enjoy a terrific senior season in an Iowa Hawkeye uniform.

I agree with the description of his character but I wonder if he will ever be 100%?

Reactions: Ronman
My guess is that Fran and team know what he is going to do already and its likely Bohannon will shut it down. I think Fran and Bohannon also know how important the non-con is going to be this year (Vegas games + Syracuse) and they're hoping Bohannon be the guy that helps the team net 2-3 wins during that stretch before shutting him down. Right now though his shot has looked bad and he looks to be only 75% himself. For that reason I would say shut him down now and start letting Frederick and Toussaint get extended minutes. Would love to see them both getting 23-25 mpg.

Hes not helping anything when hes out there.

Who ever he guards basically get a free trip to the basket.

I don't care how good you shoot if you play defense that poorly you can't be on the floor and expect it to be a positive for the team.

Reactions: blhawk
Nope.

We don't know why Moss left, but two reasonable possibilities are that he was just tired of dealing with Fran(and vice versa) and/or he thinks he can make it in the NBA. I have no reason to think either of those are in play with Bohannon. Haven't heard word one about him having issues with Fran or Fran with him. And I'd be very surprised if he had any illusions that he is capable of playing in the NBA.
Not sure how "things go bad for the team" this year would be a factor. Short of a mass player exodus, what other issues would be included?
Unless someone gives a plausible reason, it would seem so remotely unlikely that JBo would grad transfer that it's not a factor worth considering.

Moss left because he was going to be passed up by Frederick.

Reactions: mstp1992
We need his leadership while the new guards get their feet under them. When things get dicey it’s good to have someone on the bench who’s been there and done that. I think he shuts it down, but he’s a good security blanket early on.

I think it's yet to be determined.....his initial recovery, right after the surgery went for some months and didn't look like he would play. Then in the last month before the season he made significant progress...now it doesn't appear to be that he has progressed a lot since then. BUT, things could change again within the next few weeks.

What if he stays at about this level...shuts it down at the timeline...and two weeks later he improves dramatically and is then at or near 100%....so he maybe has missed four or five games total for the season and appears to be completely ready to go?

I think this is just a wait and see. I am comfortable with whatever is best for JBO either way....he has earned that, and I am guessing that is the way Fran feels with his loyalty to his players.

For the zillionth time. He has not redshirted so he will take a redshirt. It will not be a medical redshirt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT