ADVERTISEMENT

Hopefully this is Kirks last year

Man I hate the idea of Nebraska moving ahead of Iowa over the next few years; I still have scars from their beat downs on us in the 80’s. They loved running up the points on us to keep us down.

Iowa could lose to Nebraska, but it will not be a beat down. If you forced me to pick right now. I'd go Iowa 17-13. Kinnick is a snake pit at night.
Nebraska is going to have their best season in years. Iowa’s looks like it could be painful. Kinnick will have three times as much red in it on Black Friday as it did yesterday. Iowa may very well just roll over and die.

• Sad
Reactions: ddeanHawk
I don't think people are angry because of one game. It's been a series of mistakes and recruiting blunders over a number of years.
So people had already decided they wanted KF gone, but were willing to keep him around if Iowa beat ISU?

That would also seem like a pretty drastic change of heart based on just one game.

Because again, I didn't hear all this fire Ferentz crap before yesterday

• Wow
Reactions: Hawkfan_08
BS, you’re just whining. We have won 10 games 3 times in the past 5 years so what about all of the recruiting successes and winning decisions ? Your memory isn’t very good.

Respectfully, I'm talking for the ones that posted that opinion but I'll still take a shot.

While you mentioned winning decisions, I'm not sure what you mean. Tell Cooper DeJean to return a punt to bail us out against Michigan St? Tell the grass to give out in Wrigley to NW? Tell our defense they have to almost be perfect to win? Tell Stevens to make almost every kick because our points come from his leg?

We have won these games in the least complimentary way possible. The offense has really hurt this program the last few years and has constantly put Iowa in bad situations against, truthfully, not very good teams. Our very, very good defense has to build depth, which the coaches have done, because we have failed at every staple of a Kirk Ferentz team recently.

Control the clock: often beat in time of possession.
Control the line: couldn't protect any qb recently. Just got better at run blocking.
Don't turn the ball over: we have totally failed there the last few years.

While you talk about 10 wins, which is great, it's impossible to take this team serious with the failures of those three KF staples. We have had 1 win recently against a ranked opponent and have had the litetal doors blown off by teams with a pulse and take advantage of our gassed defense. Again, most wins come against teams that are not bowl eligible or barely bowl eligible because they play even worse teams in the non-con than we do.

Finally, my point is to not be Nebraska. Let's not talk about the great and exciting years of the 2000s and most of the 2010s. That football was great for memories and gave us all hope, fun and lots of wins but that's a bygone era, and it doesn't mean anything to the success of this team right now.

I want to be clear that I'm not complaining about defense or special teams. Those are still top units in my opinion. Recruiting has been solid on those sides of the ball.

So no, it's not about yesterday. It's about
losing to Tennessee 35-0 with 2-11 on 3rd down and less than 180 yards to a team that had a ton of dudes sit out. Or 26-0 to Michigan watching Iowa's defense play one of the best games I've ever seen but being forced to be on the field almost 40 minutes. Or having 76 TOTAL yards of offense while getting beat down by Penn St. 31-0. Or only being +21 in points against one of the worst divisions of football, leaving the defense in to constantly play the hero.

It's stubborn and arrogant to think this will continue to work now that divisions are gone.

For the record, I'm at every home game and have gone to tons of bowl games/ away games. Kirk has done a ton for the university and I will always cheer on the Hawks regardless of who the coach is. These kids work hard to represent our state and university. Unfortunately, like all people and elite coaches of the past, if you can't adjust with the times you will get left behind. Unfortunately, it's where we are.

Last edited:
Have you been calling for KF's job for 20 years? I don't recall having seen that on this board.

Somehow I think it takes a damn good coach to last anywhere 20 years
Kirk would have been fired at most other B1G schools before now. It's moron fans like you that accept mediocrity and Kirk knows it. Hopefully Beth cleans house after this year.

Respectfully, I'm talking for the ones that posted that opinion but I'll still take a shot.

While you mentioned winning decisions, I'm not sure what you mean. Tell Cooper DeJean to return a punt to bail us out against Michigan St? Tell the grass to give out in Wrigley to NW? Tell our defense they have to almost be perfect to win? Tell Stevens to make almost every kick because our points come from his leg?

We have won these games in the least complimentary way possible. The offense has really hurt this program the last few years and has constantly put Iowa in bad situations against, truthfully, not very good teams. Our very, very good defense has to build depth, which the coaches have done, because we have failed at every staple of a Kirk Ferentz team recently.

Control the line: couldn't protect any qb recently. Just got better at run blocking.

While you talk about 10 wins, which is great, it's impossible to take this team serious with the failures of those three KF staples. We have had 1 win recently against a ranked opponent and have had the litetal doors blown off by teams with a pulse and take advantage of our gassed defense. Again, most wins come against teams that are not bowl eligible or barely bowl eligible because they play even worse teams in the non-con than we do.

Finally, my point is to not be Nebraska. Let's not talk about the great and exciting years of the 2000s and most of the 2010s. That football was great for memories and gave us all hope, fun and lots of wins but that's a bygone era, and it doesn't mean anything to the success of this team right now.

I want to be clear that I'm not complaining about defense or special teams. Those are still top units in my opinion. Recruiting has been solid on those sides of the ball.

losing to Tennessee 35-0 with 2-11 on 3rd down and less than 180 yards to a team that had a ton of dudes sit out. Or 26-0 to Michigan watching Iowa's defense play one of the best games I've ever seen but being forced to be on the field almost 40 minutes. Or having 76 TOTAL yards of offense while getting beat down by Penn St. 31-0. Or only being +21 in points against one of the worst divisions of football, leaving the defense in to constantly play the hero.

It's stubborn and arrogant to think this will continue to work now that divisions are gone.

For the record, I'm at every home game and have gone to tons of bowl games/ away games. Kirk has done a ton for the university and I will always cheer on the Hawks regardless of who the coach is. These kids work hard to represent our state and university. Unfortunately, like all people and elite coaches of the past, if you can't adjust with the times you will get left behind. Unfortunately, it's where we are.
You don’t want to give Kirk credit for all the wins but you want to blame him for the losses. Sorry, it doesn’t work that way. By the way , Kirk has beaten many ranked teams during his time at Iowa. We are lucky to have him as our coach.

Kirk will leave when he's ready. It would take a disaster to get him fired. The program would be a dumpster fire without him. Twenty five years and counting. Gotta keep the distinction of having the longest tenured coach just like Nebraska has to keep their sellout streak alive.

Kirk plans on being Iowa’s coach for a while is my guess.

He would have saved his son the embarrassment if he was close to quitting. They could have agreed to both be done in a year or two and likely saved Brian the humiliation.

You don’t want to give Kirk credit for all the wins but you want to blame him for the losses. Sorry, it doesn’t work that way. By the way , Kirk has beaten many ranked teams during his time at Iowa. We are lucky to have him as our coach.

You didn't read what I wrote. I give Kirk lots of credit for the ranked wins of the past and those great seasons of the 2000s and after. I think he was a great coach and deserves a statue like Hayden.

I also think it is fine to admit that he has deficiencies and those are being exposed. Just my 2 cents.

Fire him Beth. Start over.
KF isn't getting fired.

KF might decide to hang it up at the end of the year but Beth ain't gonna fire him...and shouldn't.

(Barring a total 5-7 type collapse, realistically this team is 7-5 worst case) More likely 8-4/9-3. She doesn't fire him for that.

Reactions: Bierhalter
Wrong! Since 2010 we are 15-30 versus ranked teams. 5-7 in bowl games (1 year didn't make a bowl, 1 year covid).

In the last 5 years we are 6-10 against ranked teams. Many of our wins against ranked teams those teams are no longer ranked by years end.

Truth is KF probably should have been let go in 2013/14, 2015 saved his job and then the Big Ten West has given him a place to hide, any other conference division he would have most likely been let go by now.

2000-2009 KF had a lot of success, that has given him a long leash over these past decade and a half.

After 1 loss ? Good grief man, stop being a moron.
It's not after one loss, moron. It's after five years of failing to play a BIG caliber QB and two years running of having the worst offense in college football. Yesterday was just the latest example of all that's been wrong with KF football for years. Iowa lost a game it had no business losing. They only play 12 of them. Sometimes you get beat by a better team. What can you do? But sometimes you get beat because you're a stubborn old man who, in 25 years, has never learned a damn thing about QB play or offense in general. So yes, it's time for KF to pull a Nick Saban and walk away or be forced out. Beth should give him that ultimatum, and tell him she wants to see what Sullivan can do at QB, so start him Saturday.

Kirk would have been fired at most other B1G schools before now. It's moron fans like you that accept mediocrity and Kirk knows it. Hopefully Beth cleans house after this year.
It's not after one loss, moron. It's after five years of failing to play a BIG caliber QB and two years running of having the worst offense in college football. Yesterday was just the latest example of all that's been wrong with KF football for years. Iowa lost a game it had no business losing. They only play 12 of them. Sometimes you get beat by a better team. What can you do? But sometimes you get beat because you're a stubborn old man who, in 25 years, has never learned a damn thing about QB play or offense in general. So yes, it's time for KF to pull a Nick Saban and walk away or be forced out. Beth should give him that ultimatum, and tell him she wants to see what Sullivan can do at QB, so start him Saturday.
The point is you guys are overreacting to one game because you weren't calling for his job on Friday

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
Wrong! Since 2010 we are 15-30 versus ranked teams. 5-7 in bowl games (1 year didn't make a bowl, 1 year covid).

In the last 5 years we are 6-10 against ranked teams. Many of our wins against ranked teams those teams are no longer ranked by years end.

Truth is KF probably should have been let go in 2013/14, 2015 saved his job and then the Big Ten West has given him a place to hide, any other conference division he would have most likely been let go by now.

2000-2009 KF had a lot of success, that has given him a long leash over these past decade and a half.
Was Iowa's schedule a place to hide in 2017 when Iowa was 8-5 and played these teams ranked in the final AP poll? #8 PSU, #15 MSU, #5 OSU, #17 Northwestern and #7 Wisconsin. 3 top 10 teams and 5 top 20 teams.
According to Sports Reference Iowa played the 3rd most difficult schedule in the nation.

They also played the 13th most difficult schedule in 2021 going 10-4 and the 22nd most difficult schedule in 2019 going 10-3. The 2023 schedule was ranked the 27th most difficult in the nation.

By the way in 2023 Notre Dames football schedule was ranked the 60th most difficult and 34th most difficult in 2022.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
In 25 years at Iowa KF has delivered 0 outright B1G titles, 2 shared B1G titles, and 1 BCS/NY6 level bowl win.

In 25 years.

And some of you still insist on treating him like he's Jesus. Lol.
The legend before him had 0 NY6 bowl type wins to put things in perspective.

After 1 loss ? Good grief man, stop being a moron.
I started getting the notion of firing Captain Kirk when he hired Boy Wonder to OC. That notion turned into full blown demand when he refused to fire the incompetent son after such horrendous results. Captain Kirk sticking to Cade when he was STRUGGLING and not putting in Sullivan just fanned the flames some more.

The legend before him had 0 NY6 bowl type wins to put things in perspective.
The legend before him had to turn around a complete loser of a program that hadn't had 1 winning season in the previous 17 years before he got there. Fry had to completely change the Iowa football culture from a losing one into a winning one. Ferentz was gifted a borderline perennial top-25 program that was already a winner. Big difference IMO.

Excellent, excellent post!

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
In 25 years at Iowa KF has delivered 0 outright B1G titles, 2 shared B1G titles, and 1 BCS/NY6 level bowl win.

In 25 years.

And some of you still insist on treating him like he's Jesus. Lol.
And the 25 years before that we had 1 outright B1G title (1985) , 2 shared B1G titles (1981 and 1990), with 0 BCS level wins.

I'm not saying to anoint KF as Jesus, but we do need some perspective, too.

Look, what happened Saturday was a travesty, but I'm willing to let the season play out. We've got a very manageable schedule and still working in a new OC that just got here in Feb and 2 new QBs who got 0 work in spring ball. Let's see what kind of improvement we can make between now and Black Friday. If we end the year at 8-4 or worse, then we can bring the pitch forks out! 😀

Reactions: Crafty Beaver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT