ADVERTISEMENT

How bad will things have to be this year for you to change your mind about Brian?

I always question the fans that say Stanley wasn't a good qb. His record as a starter was impressive...27 wins in his three years (8, 9, and 10). Cheers and GO HAWKS!
Here we go with the “record” talk…

If there’s one program on the planet where you can point to a lot of wins accomplished with very bad QBs, it’s our program at Iowa.

I still laugh at KF saying if BF gets a job prior to the bowl game, he won’t be coaching in it. How’d that work out KF? He still doesn’t have a job. Bet his yard and KF’s look immaculate. Might as well start a lawn service. Only reason he was successful was due to GD and KOK in the background helping him. Once KOK left, he was on an island and had no one to go to to help him. Anything has to be better than him and I won’t miss his outbursts on the sideline acting like a giant idiot.

This year on offense will be a residual of what KF and BF did the last 6. It won't be fixed immediately. However, "fix" is a relative term. For Iowa under KF, serviceable is better and really our highest ceiling we could hope to achieve.

For me, it will be whether or not I have to mute the game and not watch on offense as I've had to do the last three years. That'll be my barometer.

Believe it or not, getting one first down at least every other possession will be considerable improvement. Not running on 3rd and 14 at midfield will be improvement. Not starting a QB who is problematic to anyone with eyes and obviously shouldn't be starting will be improvement. Not relying on our defense to score more than our offense will be improvement.

Two of these things KF has proven he can fix or comprehend. The other two I've given up hope on. It's going to take some time and an inevitable change in leadership to really make our offensive potential come to light.

If Lester can somehow get us back to O'Keefe levels, I'll take it. That's something I never thought I'd have wanted a decade ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Maybe BF was not the problem?
Oh, BF was definitely a problem. If it's all KF, that doesn't explain why KOK had an offense that was #1 in the Big 10 in 2002. Yeah, he had some shaky years, too, but there were other years KOK had solid offenses. It seemed like 2001, and 2005 were pretty solid, as well as 2008. 2010 may also have been pretty decent. Just going by memory.

Things got worse under Davis, and historically bad under BF.

Oh, BF was definitely a problem. If it's all KF, that doesn't explain why KOK had an offense that was #1 in the Big 10 in 2002. Yeah, he had some shaky years, too, but there were other years KOK had solid offenses. It seemed like 2001, and 2005 were pretty solid, as well as 2008. 2010 may also have been pretty decent. Just going by memory.

Things got worse under Davis, and historically bad under BF.
There's a definite trend. It's not "all" KFz but he's always been the governor on the engine...moreso the older he gets. The most recent example you site of a good offense was 14 years ago. There you have it.

That said, BF was a problem. Who installed him and kept him there way too long? and..was it for selfish reasons?

There's a definite trend. It's not "all" KFz but he's always been the governor on the engine...moreso the older he gets. The most recent example you site of a good offense was 14 years ago. There you have it.

That said, BF was a problem. Who installed him and kept him there way too long? and..was it for selfish reasons?
Agreed. KF teams have not typically had a good offense, but his coaching staff has definitely also had an impact on the results, for better or for worse. So there's some truth to both sides of the argument.

It would be naive to think that Brian was a singular cancer cell living in an otherwise healthy patient,.. I'm more inclined to believe that there will need to be additional treatments as we move along our road to offensive recovery...

It would be naive to think that Brian was a singular cancer cell living in an otherwise healthy patient,.. I'm more inclined to believe that there will need to be additional treatments as we move along our road to offensive recovery...
If we're gonna use medical analogies, let's say that BF was the prostatectomy, and now we're just a few radiation treatments from completely cleaning things up. IOW, had to get rid of the crux of the problem before dealing with the peripheral issues.

brian was state 5 cancer

I can't fathom a legitimate scenario where I ever miss BF as OC/QB coach.....ever.

Had KF/BF been satisfied with BF being a position coach and, at most, a run game coordinator, then I think all involved could have avoided this mess. But when you were born on 3rd base and think you hit a triple, your mind can lead you to believe that you're better than what you really are.

I honestly believe that Brian is an excellent OL and TE coach and that is where he should stick. I don't think he has the mental acumen to handle all the nuances involved in coordinating an entire P5 offense and I certainly don't think he has the people skills to manage all the position coaches involved either.

I do feel bad that it didn't work out.....the guy nearly gave up part of a leg playing for the Hawks and I'll always be grateful for that. But his handling of the offense the last 3 years and his arrogance and pompous attitude while it was happening certainly didn't endear himself to many, if any, fans.

So no, I'll never miss him coaching for the Hawks.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
We are already better based on what I saw on Saturday. After 115 freaking practices installing a new offense! Better already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT