ADVERTISEMENT

How do you get out of being youth sports manager

Be glad you're finding this out now. Wait until the kids are in high school and on travel teams. Remember this year then to remind you.

Why not change from having a mgr. to having a board or team. That way responsibilties get split up so no single person is overwhelmed. It also helps when someone is ready to move on, you are only replacing one part of the leadership vs. essentially starting over when you have a one man team and he decides to call it quits
It's also a great way for ahit to fall through the cracks.

Maybe use it as a teaching moment?

After the season tell your son you hated being coach(obviously not because of him) but there's something to sticking something out

without screwing over the team and/or your child?

After coaching for 14 seasons at the rec level, I ignorantly volunteered to manage my son’s U11 soccer team thinking it'd be SO MUCH easier. Good frack'n grief, what an overwhelming job and now I feel like I'm stuck with it and have ZERO desire of doing it again this year.

I posted the responsibilities in our GroupMe chat, hoping to find a volunteer. Here’s a quick rundown of what’s involved:

Responsibilities:
  • Communicate team schedules, practice times, and locations to players and parents, and share other key information as directed by Premier leadership.
  • Roster teams in GotSport for games, which includes printing and bringing match cards to games, and submitting them to WDDOA afterwards.
  • Maintain player cards and register the team for tournaments.
  • Registration for tournaments
  • Coordinate travel plans for tournaments, including calculating coach perdiem, collecting fees, etc.
Requirements:
  • Strong communication skills
  • Availability to manage team-related tasks
  • Completion of manager training via GotSport (Safe Sport Course, Heads Up Course, Background Check)
It may not seem like a lot, but it's like a full-time job, constant parent interaction, coordination, communication and spoon feeding (people are LAZY). I always help break down goals, cones, set up the bench, trace camera, etc., which has nothing to do with a manager role, just trying to help as a parent. I get ZERO help, parents just sit and watch while I struggle to set up a canopy by myself. I've been asking since May for a replacement and it's frack'n crickets. Do I just quit and say heck with it?
I’ve been coaching my daughter’s soccer team with another dad for like 4 years. They’re good and going to form their own club team, so we hired a coach. Sorry you had that experience. Our parents are great, do all the little things so I can do what few of them seem willing, which is to discipline their kids and hold them accountable, even if that means hurting their feelings.

Wife managed for years and we coached a few years. When my daughter stopped playing when she was 14 we were relieved as it took up nearly all our free time.....but we miss it too. My wife copes by being an FSU softball superfan.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Ugh, the way I deal with these people is to understand that they need me far more than I need them. I've told them that I'm making the decisions and their input is not needed. If they want to do things differently they are welcome to coach. It helps that I'm on very good terms with the board and since I run an organized practice and kids learn with me coaching the board really likes me coaching so they tell those people to GFT as well. Honestly, it was only an issue once. I think it's because most parents actually really appreciate people stepping up to coach, particularly since it is not a paid position (heck, I pay money for my kids to play) so that does take a lot of the anger out of them before it starts.
That's what I wish out coach would do. We have one of the best coaches in our club, BUT he's anti confrontational. He'll just bitch to me about her instead of putting her in her place. I told him if he's not going to, he needs to have the Director do it before I've had enough and snap on her. She's a cancer for the entire team/club.

EDIT: Here's an example of her behavior. She's yelling "Wake Up!" at our players all throughout the first half (making them feel like crap). The ref finally stopped the match and told her to support the players and to knock it off or he'd have her removed (apparently, she was yelling at the refs too). Chance for self-evaluation? Nope. Immediately got on her phone calling around to see if the ref could really remove her from the fields. After the match, my son asked why she's always yelling at them. "Dad, we're not asleep, we're trying our best".

After the match I told her to stop because she was making the boys feel like $hit. I walked off not even giving her a chance to respond.

Last edited:
I’ve been coaching my daughter’s soccer team with another dad for like 4 years. They’re good and going to form their own club team, so we hired a coach. Sorry you had that experience. Our parents are great, do all the little things so I can do what few of them seem willing, which is to discipline their kids and hold them accountable, even if that means hurting their feelings.
I LOVED coaching at the rec-level and I was blessed to have amazing parents along the way.

For club, it's not that I have bad parents, per se', (aside from the one witch above), it's that they are lazy and want everything spoon fed and are good with watching me do everything while they sit in their chairs and watch. They're all nice, support their kiddos, don't yell at refs, etc., but damn, I'm not a machine people. LOL

Reactions: seminoleed
That's what I wish out coach would do. We have one of the best coaches in our club, BUT he's anti confrontational. He'll just bitch to me about her instead of putting her in her place. I told him if he's not going to, he needs to have the Director do it before I've had enough and snap on her. She's a cancer for the entire team/club.

EDIT: Here's an example of her behavior. She's yelling "Wake Up!" at our players all throughout the first half (making them feel like crap). The ref finally stopped the match and told her to support the players and to knock it off or he'd have her removed (apparently, she was yelling at the refs too). Chance for self-evaluation? Nope. Immediately got on her phone calling around to see if the ref could really remove her from the fields. After the match, my son asked why she's always yelling at them. "Dad, we're not asleep, we're trying our best".

After the match I told her to stop because she was making the boys feel like $hit. I walked off not even giving her a chance to respond.
Every team has that mom/family. I’ve got lots of stories like that too.
I had a state cop threaten me regarding the club releasing his son mid season, so he could go play for the one area Club that could beat us.

• Wow
Reactions: alaskanseminole
Just let it slip while walking by one of the moms that it really is a man's job.

There is actually zero chance you don't want the job. That level of effort and detail on the job description. You live for this shit. Admit it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT