ADVERTISEMENT

How does ISU totally kill Iowa in recruiting

Kurt Warner

HB Heisman
Jan 12, 2010
Iowa
I know they've had quite a bit of success the last several years and Hoiberg really got them going but my golly they get studs in there. Iowa ...not so much. What's the deal? There needs to be a major shake up in iowa city.

Success since Fred started to where Prohm has it still is a big reason. You have to win and be in the Dance consistently for kids to want to play for you.

Also not sure why Fran refuses to go hard after transfers. Weiler Babb, Shayok, Jacobson, Talley are all transfers. Have another one sitting out this year. You don’t need 13 guys playing. There is room on a roster for guys to transfer and sit out.

I just don't think anyone wants to transfer in

Soooo, this is uncomfortable. So that coach you have. He kind of has a reputation. I don’t believe this to be true but, word is he comes off as a bit of a screamer. I know, I know. Kids need to toughen and stuf up but yeah definitely a screamer. You know the old saying, you can catch more bees with honey...

Reactions: ATCy
Good players with options don't want to play for a tyrant who treats his players poorly during games and tries to attack officials. McCaffrey embarrasses himself, the players and the program

Good players with options don't want to play for a tyrant who treats his players poorly during games and tries to attack officials. McCaffrey embarrasses himself, the players and the program
You can go on YouTube and see his rants. Bet the farm other schools are sending links to kids. People raising a child in a single parent home don’t want that. Craziness is why many are in a single parent situation.

If you are going to be crazy you better have banked a couple Final Fours.

Reactions: JAMAM
They take a pass on 6'6 to 6'10 skinny white guys

Yep. Unless it's a Weiskamp type player, Iowa State passes on white players. Fran needs to as well.

I'll tell you a story my uncle shared with me many years ago. He went to Iowa State back in the early 80s around the time Johnny Orr was hired. Johnny was around mingling with students and someone asked Johnny why he wasn't recruiting anyone from Iowa that year. Johnny looks at him and without blinking an eye said, "Coz there's no blacks in Iowa."

Lol.

Fran needs to get more brothas on the team. Plain and simple.

It's effort. Plain and simple. Pay me the same salary as an assistant coach on the Iowa men's basketball team and I'll go get you better players. These are very wealthy individuals who have lost their fire and have 0 accountability.

Fran wants kids who are good citizens and good students, so he doesn't have to worry about them flunking out or having disciplinary issues. Moss re-shirted early for academic reasons, so he could stay eligible. Iowa State goes after players who are ahtletic and good ballers. I don't think a few of IS players could pass Fran's citizenship and academic standards. Plus, Iowa is just not a famous college basketball school. It isn't. Back in the days when we had Horton and crew, some of these players were tough dudes who weren't angels by any means, and some major effort was put in to keep them eligible and passing their drug screens.. The blue bloods will always get the best players, and coaches like Fran get the best they can from the scraps, sorry to say. Nothing wrong, though, with getting good citizen players. Plus, I think Fran is a very, very average (at best) coach. Wisky doesn't get superstars either, but they are definitely coached up. I still miss the Tom Davis days when the players fought incredibly hard, and played much better defense than now..

Last edited:
Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Give me more details of how iowa state is killing us in recruiting.

Uhhhhhhhm...Ellingson, Fleming, Dickerson, Wagner, Oglesthree, Baer, Pemsl, Dailey, Moss, Nunge, Dickerson...

To name a few who wouldn't sniff a walk on opportunity at Iowa State.

If you don't think Iowa State basketball has been vastly superior to Iowa in recruiting this decade, I don't know what to tell you.

Fran wants kids who are good citizens and good students, so he doesn't have to worry about them flunking out or having disciplinary issues. Moss re-shirted early for academic reasons, so he could stay eligible. Iowa State goes after players who are ahtletic and good ballers. I don't think a few of IS players could pass Fran's citizenship and academic standards. Plus, Iowa is just not a famous college basketball school. It isn't. Back in the days when we had Horton and crew, some of these players were tough dudes who weren't angels by any means, and some major effort was put in to keep them eligible and passing their drug screens.. The blue bloods get the best players, and coaches like Fran get the best they can from the scraps, sorry to say.. Nothing wrong, though, with getting good citizen players. And I think Fran is a very average coach. Wisky doesn't get superstars either, but they are coached up.

That's a cop out. And Wisconsin generally gets higher ranked players than Iowa.

Uhhhhhhhm...Ellingson, Fleming, Dickerson, Wagner, Oglesthree, Baer, Pemsl, Dailey, Moss, Nunge, Dickerson...

To name a few who wouldn't sniff a walk on opportunity at Iowa State.

If you don't think Iowa State basketball has been vastly superior to Iowa in recruiting this decade, I don't know what to tell you.

Iowa State has had a similar number of non productive players leave. Actually more probably.

There are plenty of good players out there who have superior talent and academics to what we have. It boils down to sloth and 0 accountability. Coaches know they won't get fired and the AD is impotent to make changes.

Reactions: blhawk
Yep. Unless it's a Weiskamp type player, Iowa State passes on white players. Fran needs to as well.

I'll tell you a story my uncle shared with me many years ago. He went to Iowa State back in the early 80s around the time Johnny Orr was hired. Johnny was around mingling with students and someone asked Johnny why he wasn't recruiting anyone from Iowa that year. Johnny looks at him and without blinking an eye said, "Coz there's no blacks in Iowa."

Lol.

Fran needs to get more brothas on the team. Plain and simple.
That sounds like Johnny, but it wasn't really the case. He had quite a few white Iowa kids playing for him over the years.

ISU has tried to get the top Iowa kids, just hasn't been able to do it. Hinrich verbally committed, then backed out when Floyd left. Tried to get Collison, too, and obviously wanted Harrison Barnes.

And he was a decidedly better recruit than wieskamp? Same class, similar role, similar ranking

This is a fair point. I think it may have more to do with the guys they surround their best recruits with. ISU has filled in with the less sought after 3* players while ISU has done the same PLUS the transfers mentioned above. Maybe?

This is a fair point. I think it may have more to do with the guys they surround their best recruits with. ISU has filled in with the less sought after 3* players while ISU has done the same PLUS the transfers mentioned above. Maybe?
Horton-Tucker was the Chicago player of the year. I really like what I've seen of Weiskamp and would like to have him, but I don't think they were comparable recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT