ADVERTISEMENT

How far beyond has Iowa fallen?

Initially I was thinking, why not, might be a good time. But it appears you think I would be there for your entertainment?? If so, probably not the group I'm looking to hang out with then.

But the cool thing is with that interesting group you described you will be pretty easy to pick out.
Maybe I'll just stop and say hi, if I happen to see you all.
We go every year. Went from competing against each other to a great group of friends.
Initially I was thinking, why not, might be a good time. But it appears you think I would be there for your entertainment?? If so, probably not the group I'm looking to hang out with then.

But the cool thing is with that interesting group you described you will be pretty easy to pick out.
Maybe I'll just stop and say hi, if I happen to see you all.
We go every year. Went from competing against each other to a great group of friends. Plenty of joking around, trash talk, and having fun. We’ll be at Boulevard Brewery tomorrow night to kick off the weekend

Reactions: el dub
18. The playing field is too level.

That quote invoked this memory:

g-pol-080501-bush-mission-hmed-4a.jpg

Dig deeper buddy. He's been in the room plenty. He's also been buds with Nick Lee and RBY before NIL came along. Odd guy for them to like.

And I only interjected myself into this thread because a couple of posters and wahlberg were posting false information. Wahlberg could even be a PSU troll for all I know. I don't think so but can't put it past your fan base. He even pretty much called Tom Brands a hypocrite, so I posted some facts to show there isn't a bigger hypocrite than your cult leader.

Remember when your coach said Umm we ummm need ummm to grow ummm the ummm sport ummm of wrestling. Then proceeded to put a curtain up to keep fans out? He's a hypocrite. The best way for you guys to not read facts that hurt your feelings would be to quit being idiots on here.
I understand you're in a pissing match with other posters and all, but no. I didn't post false information and I'm not a PSU troll. For you to suggest that merely because you don't agree with my take just makes it obvious that you idolize TnT to the point that you're incapable of believing they have flaws. Piss away with the other posters all you want, but don't start dragging me into it.

I’ll be there. Going with our usual group of 2 PSU wrestlers, 2 OSU wrestlers , and 1 Iowa wrestler. Want to meet up? You’d be good for a laugh when we’re having a meal or drinks.
JWillie, I'd be curious what Iowa wrestler you'll be hanging out with but please share the other four wrestlers as well. I'll keep my eyes peeled. You don't post much. So, what brings you to these parts?

• Haha
Reactions: Gobblin and T8KUDWN
I understand you're in a pissing match with other posters and all, but no. I didn't post false information and I'm not a PSU troll. For you to suggest that merely because you don't agree with my take just makes it obvious that you idolize TnT to the point that you're incapable of believing they have flaws. Piss away with the other posters all you want, but don't start dragging me into it.
I said there was a possibility and I followed it up saying I don't think that's the case. You chose to ignore that for some reason. I respectfully explained why I felt your information during the blackberry era wasn't relevant. I also respectfully disputed your hypocrite claims with facts about another coach. You drug yourself into this with your posts and questions towards me. I wonder what Carls wrestlers would have been posting back then since they were losing? I was always respectful towards you so the insulting me with the idolizing crap gets nowhere. I don't idolize anyone except some family members. I also have never said a word about thinking someone is incapable of mistakes. That was surprisingly weak and frankly I didn't expect it from you. That makes me actually think you probably were a troll all along.

Last edited:
Reactions: T8KUDWN
Ya they are all about recovery and being feeling good. Some of the posters could benefit from looking up the meaning of coach speak. They hear Tom talk about do what we do best and they jump on they don't scout, they don't practice positions, etc etc. Each guy was given a scouting report on their opponents before B1G's. I like reading this board at times as a time killer but it's tough being quiet when there are so many flat out lies repeated over and over. Every week guys have days to get what they need. Whether it's stay off the mats. Work on positions. Get a short live go. Whatever they need and want, they get.

Unless it's a special case like a hard nosed guy that wants to be on the mat all of the time. Many times they have kept guys off the mat to help recovery. Or in the case of Daniel Murphy who wasn't even allowed on the mats for his final year because Tom wanted to make sure he was healthy so he could pass his special forces physical. Murphy is now kicking ass in the special forces. I guarantee he appreciates the hell out of Tom for making him stay off the mats when the easy move is to let him go out and scrap.
That is awesome!!!

I said there was a possibility and I followed it up saying I don't think that's the case. You chose to ignore that for some reason. I respectfully explained why I felt your information during the blackberry era wasn't relevant. I also respectfully disputed your hypocrite claims with facts about another coach. You drug yourself into this with your posts and questions towards me. I wonder what Carls wrestlers would have been posting back then since they were losing? I was always respectful towards you so the insulting me with the idolizing crap gets nowhere. I don't idolize anyone except some family members. I also have never said a word about thinking someone is incapable of mistakes. That was surprisingly weak and frankly I didn't expect it from you. That makes me actually think you probably were a troll all along.
Stating someone was spreading false information (when they weren’t) and suggesting they might be a PSU troll (when they’re not) is a funny way of showing respect. I was respectful toward you as well, until you posted that garbage.

Stating someone was spreading false information (when they weren’t) and suggesting they might be a PSU troll (when they’re not) is a funny way of showing respect. I was respectful toward you as well, until you posted that garbage.
First part I can see taking it that way although no disrespect was intended so apologies for you taking it that way. The second part you left out where I said I didn't believe you were, and you probably realize the context was aimed towards a known troll, rather than you.

Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
We go every year. Went from competing against each other to a great group of friends.

We go every year. Went from competing against each other to a great group of friends. Plenty of joking around, trash talk, and having fun. We’ll be at Boulevard Brewery tomorrow night to kick off the weekend
I won't get into town until Thursday morning, so I guess I will miss the fun.

• Haha
Reactions: Gobblin
Come to this place with facts and truth and you’re a bootlicker….

When we win our next title half the posters who are currently frequenting here most often will disappear… It’s truly a case study in shitheadedness.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm back on the 3rd grade playground, or maybe watching the 4th grade debate team. I'm going to say I told you so whether we crap the bed or shock the world this weekend. Let's just get to the wrestling and hope our wrestlers let 'er fly like folks do here. I hope they all bring out their inner Desanto.

Many criticisms are valid. But, calling for the removal of the 2nd most successful coaches of the past 20 years is where you are rightly going to get a LOT of resistance. This is especially true when NO ONE has a LEGIT candidate with ANY experience and a resume that any AD would gladly make the change to.

As highly as I do think of the Brands I am not opposed to a change. I get that Iowa is so used to being at the top that perennial top 5 finishes aren’t good enough. I just AM NOT someone that would make that change. without a VERY high level of confidence that a new coach not only could do better, but would be 100% dedicated to staying there long enough to win more NCAA Titles than Brands has.

So far, I simply do NOT see ANYONE that fits that description…
Bingo. Brands was the obvious choice then, at the time change was wanted. It wasn’t change, then we’ll figure it out.

I think this weekend will tell a lot. Ayala doesn't make or break it, but it might be one the best examples we will have. High level recruit going to the best lightweight room in the country. Seems to be more focused on holding position than attacking. Don't remember him being that way coming out of high school. I really think you could see a night and day difference at times all season. If he lets it fly, I think he wins. That's on the coaches to get him in that mindset.

Honest question: Are you and @armbartilt “associates?” You seem to have overlap in your content, and both joined in the era the Western PA kids came into view/onto campus for Iowa.

Last edited:
First part I can see taking it that way although no disrespect was intended so apologies for you taking it that way. The second part you left out where I said I didn't believe you were, and you probably realize the context was aimed towards a known troll, rather than you.
Acu - when did Tom institute these changes to the practice structure?

The 9 years prior was poor and largely a result of the #1 class not panning out. And maybe there wasn't a quick enough response thinking everything was fine after winning 3 in a row. EDITED: So I would agree it wasn't at the level we want. And every response is meant with all due respect.

The last 2 years I previously addressed. Tom's next step was to secure a state of the Art practice facility. Cost doubled. Time line took years longer. Raising over 30 MILLION dollars is very difficult.
Do you disagree that the last 2 years were immensely affected by the Covid BS due to the enormous increase in facility cost and delay in completion? That affects the focus timeline to be all in on recruiting.

Just read a post by VHS alum that Tom is never at any events. Other posters immediately respond as "unacceptable" and "doesn't suprise me" etc. Tom was at an event not long ago while the other coaches ran practice. Posters need to realize just because some guy posts it on here doesn't mean it's true.

Just so you know where I stand. My hope or expectations are to be truly competitive with PSU 1-2 years every 5 year recruiting cycle. With the caveat that shit does happen. Look at the gambling this year that cost us a almost shoe in 2nd place. (not our goal but example of things to consider when judging a cycle). I acknowledge the train psu has going there. Tom got an amazing facility built. His successor is going to be walking into an amazing situation. Tom can now focus on landing more high end recruits. I think you will see over the next few years more guys on top of the podium.

I will say Penn State flat out cheated many years which gets glossed over. I have had direct conversations with athletes involved. The NCAA looked the other way. It's 100% factual and it often gets shoved away when the natives are riled up. Carl tampered with our roster 3 times that I personally know of. Their compliance also had a different set of rules than our regarding camp payments. Those are not small factors when wondering why we are behind.

They're the only coaches in the country to do it more than once and I feel are still the only ones to have a chance at derailing that train. We can respectfully disagree.

You haven't been around for so many years that I can't take his seriously. No disrespect intended. They've also brought home more hardware than any other staff besides PSU. They must be doing a lot right.

These changes have been well received by the athletes. Diets are changing. Smarter practices. Of course you can't make a kid eat what's suggested but it's been very high compliance as far as I know.

I don't think it comes across as hypocritical at all. Every coach in the country preaches clean living. Brands preaches moderation. Like any coach, he would rather the guys not party. Every single team goes through what you are describing. Every coach in the country is a hypocrite if that's the bar you're setting.

Which event was Tom at?

Acu - when did Tom institute these changes to the practice structure?

J60R_K.gif

I feel like I'm back on the 3rd grade playground, or maybe watching the 4th grade debate team. I'm going to say I told you so whether we crap the bed or shock the world this weekend. Let's just get to the wrestling and hope our wrestlers let 'er fly like folks do here. I hope they all bring out their inner Desanto.
This wait …. til noon on Thursday. Ug! It’s a long dull wait! Gotta say thanks to all you posters who entertain. The Real Deals, posers, and cranks ….. it’s all a good read. Certainly beats the drivel emanating from the Okey St, Bucknut, and MeatChicken forums. Hell …. if they can make a reality TV show out of Game Wardens, they sure as hell ought to be able to make an amusing show out of the contents of this forum. Jesus …. every psychiatrist in the country would watch.

This wait …. til noon on Thursday. Ug! It’s a long dull wait! Gotta say thanks to all you posters who entertain. The Real Deals, posers, and cranks ….. it’s all a good read. Certainly beats the drivel emanating from the Okey St, Bucknut, and MeatChicken forums. Hell …. if they can make a reality TV show out of Game Wardens, they sure as hell ought to be able to make an amusing show out of the contents of this forum. Jesus …. every psychiatrist in the country would watch.
Will grading be on a curve?

MeatChickens have a forum?

With all due respect I'm not interested in an anonymous Q and A on this forum with scrotums and psu trolls in abundance. Feel free to reach out if truly interested.

Hey scrotum I'm almost surprised you didn't start your next account by now.
That's... a really weird insult to make. You're willing to give out the exact details of these changes, but not the time?

And of course i'm truly interested! I'm a Hawk fan till I die. First team I ever even knew existed. Gable acolyte and I've spent some time in the Iowa room in years past as a fan.

But fine. You won't give out timeframe. If Tom has been willing to make those changes, i hope to see it show at NCAAs. The injuries are still a concern, but I can appreciate the work.

With all due respect I'm not interested in an anonymous Q and A on this forum with scrotums and psu trolls in abundance. Feel free to reach out if truly interested.

Hey scrotum I'm almost surprised you didn't start your next account by now.
Why’s that?
btw, it’s kind of funny that you keep calling me scrotum like it’s some kind of insult….when in reality my handle is actually based on it.

That's... a really weird insult to make. You're willing to give out the exact details of these changes, but not the time?

And of course i'm truly interested! I'm a Hawk fan till I die. First team I ever even knew existed. Gable acolyte and I've spent some time in the Iowa room in years past as a fan.

But fine. You won't give out timeframe. If Tom has been willing to make those changes, i hope to see it show at NCAAs. The injuries are still a concern, but I can appreciate the work.
This interview was done in 2018. Tom clearly states there is no room for recovery with young people because there's too much to learn. I started this about that point. If you go to 18:00 for thoughts on over training. You need about 1 minute at each of the above times to understand.

Interesting that @acuhawk is talking about all the changes yet fairly recently In Tom's own words he basically contradicts everything stated.

This interview was done in 2018. Tom clearly states there is no room for recovery with young people because there's too much to learn. I started this about that point. If you go to 18:00 for thoughts on over training. You need about 1 minute at each of the above times to understand.

Interesting that @acuhawk is talking about all the changes yet fairly recently In Tom's own words he basically contradicts everything stated.

In all fairness, i had heard this was pretty recently. i DID NOT know that he had reduced practice times to 45-60 minutes.

One thing I heard about was they stopped doing the old school hardazz preseason, either this season or last. So I do know Tom has changed the training a bit.

Calling 2018 fairly recently is a feeble attempt to fit the narrative. Acuhawk is talking current events,

Good coaches evolve and Tom's approach to training, recovery, individualized workout plans, nutrition, etc has changed. Not as quickly as some(most) would like, but it's been happening.

Anybody see a starting wrestler sporting a shoulder harness this year? One case in point to an intentional change to training and recovery.

Reactions: Gobblin and vhsalum
BTW, it's playing with words but I do not think Iowa has fallen behind, they were passed. For app a generation Iowa dominated college wrestling. they had a3 year title run post Gable, then other teams had multi year runs, Minnesota and Ok state I believe. The Iowa had a multi tear title run then Sanderson got to PSU. Wrestling seems to be the sport where you get these mini to decade or more dynasties.

Calling 2018 fairly recently is a feeble attempt to fit the narrative. Acuhawk is talking current events,

Good coaches evolve and Tom's approach to training, recovery, individualized workout plans, nutrition, etc has changed. Not as quickly as some(most) would like, but it's been happening.

Anybody see a starting wrestler sporting a shoulder harness this year? One case in point to an intentional change to training and recovery.
When Angelo Ferrari was asked about his visit to Iowa, he pointed out they really emphasize recovery, which really surprised me, and made me think maybe TnT were using alittle “if you can’t beat them, join them” with PSU and more modern training ideas. I doubt he was lying.

When Angelo Ferrari was asked about his visit to Iowa, he pointed out they really emphasize recovery, which really surprised me, and made me think maybe TnT were using alittle “if you can’t beat them, join them” with PSU and more modern training ideas. I doubt he was lying.
Pretty sure that was Deluca. Pretty eye-opening comment, and a good dang sign I'd say.

Pretty sure that was Deluca. Pretty eye-opening comment, and a good dang sign I'd say.
I have no problem emulating PSU in some areas, no need to reinvent the wheel. We used to be better with strength and conditioning in the Gable years, which gave Gable teams an advantage back then, but other coaches started doing the same thing which took that advantage away from us.

In all fairness, i had heard this was pretty recently. i DID NOT know that he had reduced practice times to 45-60 minutes.

One thing I heard about was they stopped doing the old school hardazz preseason, either this season or last. So I do know Tom has changed the training a bit.
Does he have the team playing Dodge ball to open practices?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT