ADVERTISEMENT

How far beyond has Iowa fallen?

There is nothing more pathetic than blaming cheating for the reason that someone is better than you. Read your 125 prediction thread. It basically says that if Davis makes the finals or Ayala doesn't the refs cheated. I know it doesn't include the entire fanbase, but, blaming refs or "cheating" for the reason you are in the rear view mirror is beyond weak. Now, tell me to get lost and that I don't belong here.
It’s the new national pastime, eh?

@wahlberg
I edited one part of my first paragraph.

Also forgot to add when judging the last years I previously addressed another problem only our team faced. No strength and conditioning coach for at least 18 months. That's a huge deal in this current college environment. The current guy is probably the most well rounded since I've been here. It used to be status quo to hire a wrestler to do it. That is another change made by the staff. The last 2 have been actual S and C coaches.
Why no S and C coach for 18 months? Was it a hiring freeze from COVID?

I respect where you're coming from with pretty much all your points. I don't know if I'm ready to jump behind thinking that Tom should have 5 more years at his disposal to get back to truly competing with PSU (at NCAAs), but that's just me. Like I said, I can respect/see where you're coming from. And I don't feel disrespected by you. It's true that I did not stay very connected to the program after I finished.

If possible, can you share more about how Cael/PSU cheated? I am not calling you out for saying that. For all I know, it's possible. But I can't just take your word and believe that without a lot more info. If you can't provide more, that's fine (and I'm not asking you to name the athletes you spoke to). I understand you're saying PSU had more lenient rules (compared to us) around what they were able to pay athletes for their camps and, by extension, were likely able to offer recruits less scholly money and then fill in the difference with camp money. But, are you able to explain or talk more about Cael tampering with our roster (or any other types of cheating)?

With regard to the hypocrisy discussion, I hear you. But I don't know how all the other coaches around the country talk about moderation and clean living with their team. I'm sure they discuss it and prefer guys don't party, but Tom is a very intense communicator about these types of things in the team talks. I'm sure you know this. He lays out the standard and why it's the standard in no uncertain terms. That isn't a bad thing. It's just that it makes it more obvious when he doesn't enforce that standard with everyone. We don't have to agree on that, but I'm not the only one who felt like there was some hypocrisy at times. Doesn't mean I don't respect Tom or anything like that. In the post where I initially mentioned this perceived hypocrisy, I was trying to make the point that TnT's intensity behind their mantras that they frequently repeat in team talks and media interviews such as 'moderation (mostly clean living) is key' or 'you get what your earn' or 'do it right', while very entertaining and often motivational/inspirational, results in some unintended drawbacks and therefore is actually a flaw in their coaching/training system.

It also ignores Iowa missing out on NCAA's with Tom's best team. A team that was healthy and going to blow out the field. They would have also had multiple champs. Fast forward a year. The Strength coach left for a football job. Iowa had a hiring freeze so the team went the whole season without a strength and conditioning coach. Then Iowa gets covid in the room in February. They weren't allowed to train or be around each other for weeks. There was a blizzard outside so they couldn't even do individual outdoor runs. No gym access and punishment for getting caught being around each other would be your season's over. Penn State and other teams refused to wrestle us. The team went a month without any live competition heading into Big Tens. They went weeks without even being able to practice leading up to Big Tens. That team still won the national title but the focus was on the lack of individual titles which nobody ever talks about how that team wasn't allowed to train for the most important part of the season. The fact they still won the tournament was simply remarkable and a testament to how well the athletes and coaches handled the adversity.

It's stunning so many quickly jump on wahlbergs posts like they are relevant to the current landscape. His experience 15 years ago is as relevant as asking one of Carl's wrestlers from 15 years go what those practices are like. Wahlberg obviously has no connections to the program. He posts like a guy that made bad decisions and is now looking for someone to blame. Especially saying better wrestlers got special treatment. I wonder if he realizes the same happens at Penn State. Carl says no drinking during the year. Ed Ruth drunk drives into a taco bell with no repercussions.

Back to how irrelevant experience was to the current situation. Tom has changed the practice regimen over the years. The athletes now wear rings that monitor their recovery, sleep, etc. They brought in a big name outside nutritionist that took tissue samples to work on individual nutritional needs. Tom is all about doing whatever is best for his athletes.
These guys get multiple days a week where they work on recovery. Practices are generally 45-60 minutes.

Tom Brands busted his ass raising over 30 million dollars for a new facility. He started the process while he had the best team in the country from 3 years running. That was the logical next step for the program. At the time the cost was going to be 15-17 million. It was going to be done and then he could focus back on the other elements needed to beat Penn State. Covid once again effed everything up. The cost doubled and the time until completion got extended. It is finally pretty much move in ready. The next thing is to get more Top 10 recruits. As far as I'm concerned Tom has earned a full recruiting cycle (5 years) with the new facility that he pretty much single handed made happen. Dissenting opinions are fine, but the incessant negativity without acknowledging the fact that Covid bit us in the ass more than most even know just isn't right. While also acknowledging the gambling BS was also a big hit but nothing like what Covid did to the athletes on the championship team and the facility.
I very much appreciate your insights, as well as those from @wahlberg and many others here who could talk circles around me with your wrestling knowledge. But since I also had a slight difference of opinion with wahlberg on what most needed changed to improve, I would say I also have a hard time agreeing with you that Tom should get some type of temporary recruiting pass due to his work on the new facility. We still had 3 assistants (and supposedly new training approaches), but it would appear those assistants were not enough of a draw to get better recruits in recent years. That may need changed if so. Is Tom even willing to consider a change there? To be clear, I'm still a TnT supporter, in part because I'm not convinced we can actually GET anyone who MAY be better. But they have got to be willing to change EVERYTHING (legally, of course) if it can help us narrow the gap with Karl.

Reactions: gymdad
Ya they are all about recovery and being feeling good. Some of the posters could benefit from looking up the meaning of coach speak. They hear Tom talk about do what we do best and they jump on they don't scout, they don't practice positions, etc etc. Each guy was given a scouting report on their opponents before B1G's. I like reading this board at times as a time killer but it's tough being quiet when there are so many flat out lies repeated over and over. Every week guys have days to get what they need. Whether it's stay off the mats. Work on positions. Get a short live go. Whatever they need and want, they get.

Unless it's a special case like a hard nosed guy that wants to be on the mat all of the time. Many times they have kept guys off the mat to help recovery. Or in the case of Daniel Murphy who wasn't even allowed on the mats for his final year because Tom wanted to make sure he was healthy so he could pass his special forces physical. Murphy is now kicking ass in the special forces. I guarantee he appreciates the hell out of Tom for making him stay off the mats when the easy move is to let him go out and scrap.
Thanks for the update on Daniel Murphy. He is a truly amazing man.

I had the opportunity to have a conversation with him at a practice prior to Covid. We talked about his High School career in Colorado and why he was at Iowa. He shared his career goals and how Tom was helping him achieve his pursuit of becoming a Special Forces Soldier.

It’s a side of Tom which many people aren’t aware of.

I very much appreciate your insights, as well as those from @wahlberg Is Tom even willing to consider a change there? To be clear, I'm still a TnT supporter, in part because I'm not convinced we can actually GET anyone who MAY be better. But they have got to be willing to change EVERYTHING (legally, of course) if it can help us narrow the gap with Karl.
I think Tom going on solo recruiting trips shows he's in it. Don't underestimate how bad Tom hates losing. He isn't going to just collect a check to finish behind Carl. We have a solid core, but losing Nate Jesuroga was a blow, as is having Keuter part time. I personally believe Tom will do what it takes to be competitive with Carl.
Why no S and C coach for 18 months? Was it a hiring freeze from COVID?
Covid Hiring Freeze

I respect where you're coming from with pretty much all your points. I don't know if I'm ready to jump behind thinking that Tom should have 5 more years at his disposal to get back to truly competing with PSU (at NCAAs), but that's just me. Like I said, I can respect/see where you're coming from. And I don't feel disrespected by you. It's true that I did not stay very connected to the program after I finished.
Totally understand and I don't think 5 years will be needed to see the direction. I think 2 years minimum though is fair to see the direction now that ducks are in a row so to speak.
If possible, can you share more about how Cael/PSU cheated? I am not calling you out for saying that. For all I know, it's possible. But I can't just take your word and believe that without a lot more info. If you can't provide more, that's fine (and I'm not asking you to name the athletes you spoke to). I understand you're saying PSU had more lenient rules (compared to us) around what they were able to pay athletes for their camps and, by extension, were likely able to offer recruits less scholly money and then fill in the difference with camp money. But, are you able to explain or talk more about Cael tampering with our roster (or any other types of cheating)?
I'm not going to get into great deal. I hesitated posting it because it's old news now, and no repercussions are going to happen. It was only relevant because of the timeline in our conversation. I don't consider the camp money cheating. That was him taking advantage of a much more lenient compliance department. I don't believe it's my place to mention the athletes tampered with. But tampering wasn't the only thing, but I'm not posting on here. I wouldn't have a problem discussing it in person. None of it matters now. It's a free for all and it was only brought up to paint the picture of how I feel the momentum changed and what every other school across the country is up against. Also remember what Carl did with Andrew Long. He was willing to do anything it took to win. Now he doesn't have to take those risks due to the momentum they have. Even his child molesting best friend/donor gets very little discussion when it would be national news at Iowa. Iowa is under the microscope for every thing they do. Which is another hurdle that comes with the territory.
With regard to the hypocrisy discussion, I hear you. But I don't know how all the other coaches around the country talk about moderation and clean living with their team. I'm sure you know this. He lays out the standard and why it's the standard in no uncertain terms
This is another area where I believe your experience is different than the current reality. He knows some guys drink and that's their choice. He preaches moderation and states the obvious about what's optimum for your body if you want to peak individually. We can agree to disagree if you don't think every coach in the country discourages their college athletes from partying. But he doesn't come across at all like the no uncertain terms regarding if a kid is down town a lot. I believe Carl used to(maybe still does) have an agreement that you would be off the team if you drank in season. Sounds good until an Alton bar fight or a Ruth taco bell collision. The agreement doesn't pertain to the better guys. And we can agree to disagree also that every single program in every sport just more leeway for the best athletes. That can be academics or legal.

I would guess if a guy was going out all the time and is neck and neck with a guy doing things more optimum, the guy doing things right might get the tiebreaker if all else is equal. I also think that would be standard with any coach.

I'm not sure how it was for you, but there are always lots of laughs during the pre practice talk. The team has been a close knit family for several years now. I feel that change happened when we got the Pennsylvania Hawkeyes, and now it has continued due to some strong leadership.

Last edited:
There are a few asshole PSU fans still on here, but lately I’m seeing way too many friendly PSU visitors. I miss 2 years ago when we hated each other equally.
There are 1-2 decent PSU posters here. The rest are phony. I've said it before but PSU fans are a different kind of special. Even the Nitwits who spend time here and pretend to be legit wrestling fans looking for different perspective go back to their board and make snide comments about Iowa wrestlers, coaches, fans and posts made on our board, like a bunch of 7th grade school girls. Not to mention those that masquerade as Iowa fans on our board but are phonies, mucking up the Hawk board with false narratives.

I think Tom going on solo recruiting trips shows he's in it. Don't underestimate how bad Tom hates losing. He isn't going to just collect a check to finish behind Carl. We have a solid core, but losing Nate Jesuroga was a blow, as is having Keuter part time. I personally believe Tom will do what it takes to be competitive with Carl.

Covid Hiring Freeze

Totally understand and I don't think 5 years will be needed to see the direction. I think 2 years minimum though is fair to see the direction now that ducks are in a row so to speak.

I'm not going to get into great deal. I hesitated posting it because it's old news now, and no repercussions are going to happen. It was only relevant because of the timeline in our conversation. I don't consider the camp money cheating. That was him taking advantage of a much more lenient compliance department. I don't believe it's my place to mention the athletes tampered with. But tampering wasn't the only thing, but I'm not posting on here. I wouldn't have a problem discussing it in person. None of it matters now. It's a free for all and it was only brought up to paint the picture of how I feel the momentum changed and what every other school across the country is up against. Also remember what Carl did with Andrew Long. He was willing to do anything it took to win. Now he doesn't have to take those risks due to the momentum they have. Even his child molesting best friend/donor gets very little discussion when it would be national news at Iowa. Iowa is under the microscope for every thing they do. Which is another hurdle that comes with the territory.

This is another area where I believe your experience is different than the current reality. He knows some guys drink and that's their choice. He preaches moderation and states the obvious about what's optimum for your body if you want to peak individually. We can agree to disagree if you don't think every coach in the country discourages their college athletes from partying. But he doesn't come across at all like the no uncertain terms regarding if a kid is down town a lot. I believe Carl used to(maybe still does) have an agreement that you would be off the team if you drank in season. Sounds good until an Alton bar fight or a Ruth taco bell collision. The agreement doesn't pertain to the better guys. And we can agree to disagree also that every single program in every sport just more leeway for the best athletes. That can be academics or legal.

I would guess if a guy was going out all the time and is neck and neck with a guy doing things more optimum, the guy doing things right might get the tiebreaker if all else is equal. I also think that would be standard with any coach.

I'm not sure how it was for you, but there are always lots of laughs during the pre practice talk. The team has been a close knit family for several years now. I feel that change happened when we got the Pennsylvania Hawkeyes, and now it has continued due to some strong leadership.

So, you double down on your baseless cheating claims, and add in that Cael's best friend is a child molester.

200w.gif

So, you double down on your baseless cheating claims, and add in that Cael's best friend is a child molester.

200w.gif
Carl Markley is one of Carl's best friends, business partner, and donor to your program. Penn State fans are ultra sensitive to anything that paints a different light on their euphoric cult.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're full of crap. No one really cares that much over other team gear. I've lived in PA my whole life and there's a very diverse sports fan base here. PSU is the main school, but I've seen ND, Michigan OSU , Miami, Ok, etc all around the state and I've never seen anyone harassed. You're probably acting like a tool and drawing attention to yourself or maybe you look funny or something. It's not the Iowa gear, no one really cares.
yeah I was acting like a tool...I am actually a PSU fan and I live to post on an Opposing teams Fan page....i mean I am such a sorry sack of shit I have to find an Iowa page and post PATHETIC PSU fan worshipping posts so the other nut lickers can post smiles for my day to be complete. I can only hope that someday I can be relevant in the PSU wrestling scene but until then I will just hang out with the Iowa fans. Go back to the miserable cave you came from .

Covid Hiring Freeze

I have really been trying to refrain from posting but your allegations of cheating and the fact you keep bringing up Andrew Long and Ed Ruth in some sort of attempt to claim some sort of moral high ground is laughable.

Iowa wrestlers have had a laundry list of legal infractions under Brands, not to mention having one of your wrestlers shoot, yes actually shoot, another wrestler with a gun and still was not only on the roster, but was wrestling that Fall. Yea, that's real accountability. Then of course you had the attempts to bring in PD3 and now the Ferraris, who have a lot more baggage then Long did at the time.

As for your cheating allegations, complete and utter nonsense. You're just another bitter, emotional fan that cant accept reality so you need to delude yourself with conspiracy theories.

Perhaps you need to take a step back and pull your head out from Tom Brands arse.

Carl Markley is one of Carl's best friends, business partner, and donor to your program. Penn State fans are ultra sensitive to anything that paints a different light on their euphoric cult.

"Mr. Sanderson is a minority passive investor in entities co-owned by a number of investors including Markley. Sanderson learned of the allegations against Mr. Markley at the same time the public was made aware. Mr. Sanderson has no information or knowledge regarding the allegations other than what has been published. The entities are currently replacing Mr. Markley’s ownership."

Yes, best friends!

Iowa
I have really been trying to refrain from posting but your allegations of cheating and the fact you keep bringing up Andrew Long and Ed Ruth in some sort of attempt to claim some sort of moral high ground is laughable.

Iowa wrestlers have had a laundry list of legal infractions under Brands, not to mention having one of your wrestlers shoot, yes actually shoot, another wrestler with a gun and still was not only on the roster, but was wrestling that Fall. Yea, that's real accountability. Then of course you had the attempts to bring in PD3 and now the Ferraris, who have a lot more baggage then Long did at the time.

As for your cheating allegations, complete and utter nonsense. You're just another bitter, emotional fan that cant accept reality so you need to delude yourself with conspiracy theories.

Perhaps you need to take a step back and pull your head out from Tom Brands arse.
Iowa was passed by due to Sanderson coming to psu at the right time. Cael is just better at all aspects in the most fertile recruiting area in the country.

Psu is now what Iowa was and the fan base won’t be happy until the normal order of the glory days is restored. Personally I don’t think that will happen anytime soon. Psu won some close ones against Ok State, Minnesota, and OSU but most victories lately have been by a fairly large margin.

Reactions: todiebyyourside
"Mr. Sanderson is a minority passive investor in entities co-owned by a number of investors including Markley. Sanderson learned of the allegations against Mr. Markley at the same time the public was made aware. Mr. Sanderson has no information or knowledge regarding the allegations other than what has been published. The entities are currently replacing Mr. Markley’s ownership."

Yes, best friends!
Dig deeper buddy. He's been in the room plenty. He's also been buds with Nick Lee and RBY before NIL came along. Odd guy for them to like.

And I only interjected myself into this thread because a couple of posters and wahlberg were posting false information. Wahlberg could even be a PSU troll for all I know. I don't think so but can't put it past your fan base. He even pretty much called Tom Brands a hypocrite, so I posted some facts to show there isn't a bigger hypocrite than your cult leader.

Remember when your coach said Umm we ummm need ummm to grow ummm the ummm sport ummm of wrestling. Then proceeded to put a curtain up to keep fans out? He's a hypocrite. The best way for you guys to not read facts that hurt your feelings would be to quit being idiots on here.

Yes, best friends!
Is it not the case that Markley was the one who offered the investment opportunities to Sanderson? Don't get me wrong. I don't think for a minute Sanderson knew Markley was a sexual predator of children. But Markley didn't offer me a chance to invest in his horse farm or his house rental business. Sounds to me that these investment opportunities were the type that one might offer to, you know, a close friend.

Is it not the case that Markley was the one who offered the investment opportunities to Sanderson? Don't get me wrong. I don't think for a minute Sanderson knew Markley was a sexual predator of children. But Markley didn't offer me a chance to invest in his horse farm or his house rental business. Sounds to me that these investment opportunities were the type that one might offer to, you know, a close friend.
Not a friend or a close friend.........he is his BEST friend! You guys are comical, which makes this weekend's festivities that much more enjoyable, so, thanks!

A lot of what is being posted in this threads reminds me of HR (circa 2014) when the resident insiders here swore that kids (recruits) were "onto" Cael and he'd no longer be able to recruit effectively. This place is Golden!

Considering the egregious sins which took place on the PSU campus under Paterno's watch, you'd think PSU fans would be the last fan base to make light of Carl's relationship with a pedo who was a business partner and spent time visiting Carl in Happy Valley and on campus. This is clearly not something one can easily overlook. Nitwits want to joke about Iowa looking past the shortcomings of our coach/program/athletes but for fvcks sake, take a self awareness pill...

Should you think an article in the Iowa State Daily newspaper might be biased against Carl. Here's a similar article from the US Attorney's office site.

Considering the Nitwits that troll this board daily and make life difficult for Iowa fans, then joke and laugh about it, not only on your own board but this one as well. I carry not a bit of regret reminding the PSU faithful of past sins having taken place on their campus.

And the constant PSU drivel continues as I type this reply...

"I will say Penn State flat out cheated many years which gets glossed over. I have had direct conversations with athletes involved. The NCAA looked the other way. It's 100% factual and it often gets shoved away when the natives are riled up."

Can you expound upon that accusation? To make such a bold statement requires some backup don't you think?
Too bad the NCAA doesn’t have to adhere to open records laws. The NCAA has the proof in writing.

200w.gif
The only thing I will say about the whole cheating thing is that I absolutely believe PSU took advantage of a "lax" compliance office and pushed the envelope in the "gray" areas of the rules for years to help turn the tide for them. Look at it like Nascar racing. If the rules don't specifically say you can't do something, they do it until they change the rules. This is what happened for years imo with Carl. Is that cheating is up to the eyes of the beholder I guess. Is that why they are better now than everyone else? Not solely for sure, but it sure didn't hurt their chances in recruiting. As far as prove it or it didn't happen, does that crowd say the same about AJ Ferrari? Prove he didn't cheat and not just by saying they weren't charged or accused of anything. We all know that doesn't make you innocent. It is beating a dead horse at this point and nothing is going to be done or changed now anymore so it is nothing more than an argument at this point. The gray area advantages that Carl used set him up to be dominant now along with his resources and location. Couple that with a very good coach and a great staff and you have the domination we are seeing today. PSU fans see Carl as clever wheras other fan bases say he cheated. Choose whichever you like. Sorry in advance to the Iowa fans on here as this post will be like a bat signal for the Penn State faithful.

Iowa

Iowa was passed by due to Sanderson coming to psu at the right time. Cael is just better at all aspects in the most fertile recruiting area in the country.

Psu is now what Iowa was and the fan base won’t be happy until the normal order of the glory days is restored. Personally I don’t think that will happen anytime soon. Psu won some close ones against Ok State, Minnesota, and OSU but most victories lately have been by a fairly large margin.
Why don't you go back to the PSU board and continue making a fool of yourself there instead of doing it here and embarrassing sane PSU fans.

Holy effin hell, the excuse machine is on full effin throttle. Let’s see if I can compile at least 83% of our excuses into one master list……

1. Carl cheated.
2. Iowa compliance office is not nice to us.
3. We got sick during COVID.
4. There was a blizzard.
5. Wrestling community doesn’t count paper titles.
6. Tom has been too preoccupied with the new facility to pursue good recruits.
7. Said facility got expensive and was delayed, further delaying recruiting.
8. Some people had to endure snow flurries while standing outside.
9. Andrew Long.
10. Carl has a friend who is a pedo.
11. COVID hiring freeze.
12. Our strength coaches were all wrestlers.
13a. Carl tampered with our roster.
13b. Carl was not successful in freeing up space on our roster for better wrestlers.
14. Our #1 recruiting class set us way back.
15. Fans on this forum scare recruits away.
16. Our wrestlers got caught breaking NCAA gambling rules.

Ugh, my head is starting to hurt again. We have really been snakebit.

If you ever need an excuse, acusnoflake is your guy!

Holy effin hell, the excuse machine is on full effin throttle. Let’s see if I can compile at least 83% of our excuses into one master list……

1. Carl cheated.
2. Iowa compliance office is not nice to us.
3. We got sick during COVID.
4. There was a blizzard.
5. Wrestling community doesn’t count paper titles.
6. Tom has been too preoccupied with the new facility to pursue good recruits.
7. Said facility got expensive and was delayed, further delaying recruiting.
8. Some people had to endure snow flurries while standing outside.
9. Andrew Long.
10. Carl has a friend who is a pedo.
11. COVID hiring freeze.
12. Our strength coaches were all wrestlers.
13a. Carl tampered with our roster.
13b. Carl was not successful in freeing up space on our roster for better wrestlers.
14. Our #1 recruiting class set us way back.
15. Fans on this forum scare recruits away.
16. Our wrestlers got caught breaking NCAA gambling rules.

Ugh, my head is starting to hurt again. We have really been snakebit.

If you ever need an excuse, acusnoflake is your guy!

Excuses are for wussies!

Not a friend or a close friend.........he is his BEST friend! You guys are comical, which makes this weekend's festivities that much more enjoyable, so, thanks!
You or any of your little buddies that like to run their mouths here, going to be at the National Tournament??

• Haha
Reactions: GiApet
You or any of your little buddies that like to run their mouths here, going to be at the National Tournament??

I can't speak for the others, but, I won't be there this year. I"ve been there for most, but, can't make it this year. Why, were you going to arrange a rumble?

MAuRrg.gif

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
It also ignores Iowa missing out on NCAA's with Tom's best team. A team that was healthy and going to blow out the field. They would have also had multiple champs. Fast forward a year. The Strength coach left for a football job. Iowa had a hiring freeze so the team went the whole season without a strength and conditioning coach. Then Iowa gets covid in the room in February. They weren't allowed to train or be around each other for weeks. There was a blizzard outside so they couldn't even do individual outdoor runs. No gym access and punishment for getting caught being around each other would be your season's over. Penn State and other teams refused to wrestle us. The team went a month without any live competition heading into Big Tens. They went weeks without even being able to practice leading up to Big Tens. That team still won the national title but the focus was on the lack of individual titles which nobody ever talks about how that team wasn't allowed to train for the most important part of the season. The fact they still won the tournament was simply remarkable and a testament to how well the athletes and coaches handled the adversity.

It's stunning so many quickly jump on wahlbergs posts like they are relevant to the current landscape. His experience 15 years ago is as relevant as asking one of Carl's wrestlers from 15 years go what those practices are like. Wahlberg obviously has no connections to the program. He posts like a guy that made bad decisions and is now looking for someone to blame. Especially saying better wrestlers got special treatment. I wonder if he realizes the same happens at Penn State. Carl says no drinking during the year. Ed Ruth drunk drives into a taco bell with no repercussions.

Back to how irrelevant experience was to the current situation. Tom has changed the practice regimen over the years. The athletes now wear rings that monitor their recovery, sleep, etc. They brought in a big name outside nutritionist that took tissue samples to work on individual nutritional needs. Tom is all about doing whatever is best for his athletes.
These guys get multiple days a week where they work on recovery. Practices are generally 45-60 minutes.

Tom Brands busted his ass raising over 30 million dollars for a new facility. He started the process while he had the best team in the country from 3 years running. That was the logical next step for the program. At the time the cost was going to be 15-17 million. It was going to be done and then he could focus back on the other elements needed to beat Penn State. Covid once again effed everything up. The cost doubled and the time until completion got extended. It is finally pretty much move in ready. The next thing is to get more Top 10 recruits. As far as I'm concerned Tom has earned a full recruiting cycle (5 years) with the new facility that he pretty much single handed made happen. Dissenting opinions are fine, but the incessant negativity without acknowledging the fact that Covid bit us in the ass more than most even know just isn't right. While also acknowledging the gambling BS was also a big hit but nothing like what Covid did to the athletes on the championship team and the facility.
Riiiiiiiiiight.... So back our regularly scheduled programming.

Acu - thanks for the insight. Would you mind telling us what year Tom instituted these changes?

Reactions: goldenanimal
Riiiiiiiiiight.... So back our regularly scheduled programming.

Acu - thanks for the insight. Would you mind telling us what year Tom instituted these changes?
I was under the impression all of the Hawks problems were going to go away when "the binder" was dropped off.

I’ll be there. Going with our usual group of 2 PSU wrestlers, 2 OSU wrestlers , and 1 Iowa wrestler. Want to meet up? You’d be good for a laugh when we’re having a meal or drinks.

I’ll be there. Going with our usual group of 2 PSU wrestlers, 2 OSU wrestlers , and 1 Iowa wrestler. Want to meet up? You’d be good for a laugh when we’re having a meal or drinks.
Initially I was thinking, why not, might be a good time. But it appears you think I would be there for your entertainment?? If so, probably not the group I'm looking to hang out with then.

But the cool thing is with that interesting group you described you will be pretty easy to pick out.
Maybe I'll just stop and say hi, if I happen to see you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWil23
Just read a post by VHS alum that Tom is never at any events. Other posters immediately respond as "unacceptable" and "doesn't suprise me" etc. Tom was at an event not long ago while the other coaches ran practice. Posters need to realize just because some guy posts it on here doesn't mean it's true.

Which event was Tom at?

The team has been a close knit family for several years now. I feel that change happened when we got the Pennsylvania Hawkeyes, and now it has continued due to some strong leadership.

Good to hear. Hope it stays that way with AJ Ferrari and fam around the room. Can we go back to bringing in elite PA recruits rather than guy's leaving the courthouse? It's a step above Dresser recruiting at the 7-Eleven.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT