ADVERTISEMENT

How have you been impacted by Coronavirus?

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
We have 2 trips scheduled.

- Los Angeles, April 22-27. ACP (medical) conference for my better half. Conference is cancelled but we're still going due to current investment. We have Eagles tickets that Friday night isn't cancelled yet.

- Croatia, May 14-29. Flying into London and out of Paris. Flight from London to Split, Croatia on BA was cancelled. Had to rebook and pay $200 more each. We'll see how it plays out on whether we actually get to go as planned or move it to later in the year.

Hopefully we don't catch it...

All of my kids sports and academic events have been canceled. My son's SATs have been canceled. I'm getting set up to work from home this week. I expect the kid's schools to go to online classes in the next week or so.

Reactions: thewop and NoleATL
May 27-30 Chicago Cubs games. Still going as I figure I can find something to do in Chicago if MLB cancels games up to then.

Reactions: NoleATL
Five training conferences have been cancelled. No "non-essential" visits to locations. Employees are being screened daily when they report to work and are being excluded from work if there's any suspected exposure to the C-19.

I had 3 work related trips over the next month cancelled.

Plus, we are coming up with contingency plans to move required training to the right. So, I've spent a lot of time today on the phone and sending about 200 emails.

Sounds like it will be the catalyst for my employer to set everyone up to be capable of working remotely. Be nice next winter when we're now just allowed to work from home 2 days per week and I can just let the plows do their thing after an overnight snowstorm.

Company will probably go bankrupt and I will be furloughed leading to driving Uber/Lyft which will probably make no money while people are sheltered indoors. 6 figures to 0 is going to be fun.

We're scheduled to go to Greece for two weeks in early June. Nothing has been cancelled yet, but it seems likely that it will be. So far, the effect has been that I've had to put up with my wife being in a very, very bad mood for the last couple of days.
But hey, it's helping me get more hours in at work - I sure as hell don't want to go home. The boys can fend for themselves.

Kids are legitimately sick, twins, close to turning 5. Found out our thermometer doesn't work when my wife left work to go get them, at daycare the ran temps around 101. Can't find a f'ing thermometer anywhere. Hard to monitor temperature without a thermometer, and I never thought I'd need a stockpile of thermometers.
Went to 2 Walmarts, 2 Hy Vees, 3 Walgreens to try to find one. Gave up. Hopefully the kids make it - if they die off, I'll know their fever was too high.

Ts & Ps.

People are ridiculous, in conclusion.

Company will probably go bankrupt and I will be furloughed leading to driving Uber/Lyft which will probably make no money while people are sheltered indoors. 6 figures to 0 is going to be fun.
You wouldn't make any actual money with Uber/Lyft anyway in optimal times, so that part won't be impacted.

Reactions: anon_ts5cfra6drv7r
Hopefully nothing but I have season tickets for the Sioux City Bandits which will probably be canceled. I also have trips planned in april and may that I hope wont be affected.

Also beginning to consider cancelling our Disney trip at the end of the month. I'm less worried about actually contracting the virus than I am about the trip turning out a disappointment due to understaffing or flight issues or something of the sort. On the flip side - if things go smooth, the place may be relatively empty.

my kids school has been suspended through april 6 at least
my office is closed indefinitely and im working from home

cancelled spring break trip
daughters 7th birthday party has been suspended

Biggest Impact? All USAF BMT Graduation events have been canceled, so I won't get to witness my daughter graduate Basic Training. I'm pretty upset about that~

As long as I leave my portfolio alone, nothing financially (yet).

I'm holding on to the 13K I have saved to pay off my Grand Cherokee (12.3K owed)

I have a Disney Vacation starting April 1st (which I've mentioned ad nauseum). I've contacted Disney everyday this week and they keep saying they are opened for business and intend to stay that way.

Other than that, not much to see here in San Antonio, impact-wise (unless I run out of toilet paper).

Last edited:
Oldest daughter is a senior in high school who has been accepted to a number of different universities. She was saving the best visits for last, and all of her presumptive favorities have now cancelled her scheduled tours. Sounds like they are scrambling to figure out how to support kids info needs remotely, but definitely not the same as being able to eat in a dorm hall, attend a class, etc.

I would not be surprised if the school cancels her prom, graduation ceremony, spring sports season, etc. I am forecasting a crappy end to her high school career.

All in all, very minor things since everyone in the extended family is so far very healthy. But I know she is bothered by these impacts.

Upcoming trip to the Dominican got cancelled, school might have to go virtual, and worst of all the fvcking tournaments are all cancelled and the best two weeks of the year are going to be unbearable.

Reactions: torbee
Upcoming trip to the Dominican got cancelled, school might have to go virtual, and worst of all the fvcking tournaments are all cancelled and the best two weeks of the year are going to be unbearable.
Out of curiosity how will k-12 do this? Just assign topics and tell kids to self study? Do some kind of webcasting through google classroom? My kids are in Ankeny but I imagine schools across the state are coordinating so you don't have school all through the summer after a hiatus (assuming one is coming)

Kids are legitimately sick, twins, close to turning 5. Found out our thermometer doesn't work when my wife left work to go get them, at daycare the ran temps around 101. Can't find a f'ing thermometer anywhere. Hard to monitor temperature without a thermometer, and I never thought I'd need a stockpile of thermometers.
Went to 2 Walmarts, 2 Hy Vees, 3 Walgreens to try to find one. Gave up. Hopefully the kids make it - if they die off, I'll know their fever was too high.

Ts & Ps.

People are ridiculous, in conclusion.
Amazon product ASIN B00MUK6M82

All OT at work has been shut down. They're encouraging everyone to take vacation days during the next 2 months. Even letting people take unpaid days off if they want. Our company deals with a lot of business travel, so when people aren't traveling, it gets slow. I'm guessing it'll just be a matter of time before they start letting some folks go.

Just got an email that ALL Gannett newsrooms are being asked to go to remote working. That is - NONE of my employees or myself are supposed to physically go into the office for the forseeable future.

Will anyone notice?

I kid. I kid. (sorta)

As long as the state hockey tourney goes well, ZFG

I still have to go to work tomorrow but I'm taking medicated wipes with me. People who feel ill at all are told to stay home. I wouldn't be shocked if my hours were cut back. People won't come out to shop cars like they have been so the impact will be interesting.
I'm sure the FSU Spring Game will be cancelled which is a bummer because I have friends from around the state who were planning on meeting up for several parties. I'm pretty bummed about that.

Will anyone notice?

I kid. I kid. (sorta)
They shouldn't really notice - so much reporting is done now via email/phone/etc. and all reporters and editors have laptops, Skype/Zoom, etc. so the "work" can be done from virtually anywhere.

The biggest negative is not having face-to-face meetings where we work through ideas/discuss sourcing, etc. But we will work through it.

Nice not having my 50 minute commute though!:)

They shouldn't really notice - so much reporting is done now via email/phone/etc. and all reporters and editors have laptops, Skype/Zoom, etc. so the "work" can be done from virtually anywhere.

The biggest negative is not having face-to-face meetings where we work through ideas/discuss sourcing, etc. But we will work through it.

Nice not having my 50 minute commute though!:)
Think of poor Big Oil and the gas stations missing out on all of your commuting. It's a shame.

Oldest daughter is a senior in high school who has been accepted to a number of different universities. She was saving the best visits for last, and all of her presumptive favorities have now cancelled her scheduled tours. Sounds like they are scrambling to figure out how to support kids info needs remotely, but definitely not the same as being able to eat in a dorm hall, attend a class, etc.

I would not be surprised if the school cancels her prom, graduation ceremony, spring sports season, etc. I am forecasting a crappy end to her high school career.

All in all, very minor things since everyone in the extended family is so far very healthy. But I know she is bothered by these impacts.

Prom was already canceled out here.

Sounds like they are scrambling to figure out how to support kids info needs remotely, but definitely not the same as being able to eat in a dorm hall, attend a class, etc.
I didn't step foot onto campus until the day I arrived with my one suitcase of clothes and nothing else.

Reactions: UKGrad93
I didn't step foot onto campus until the day I arrived with my one suitcase of clothes and nothing else.

I did the same when I headed off to play soccer my freshman year in college. I didn't even know exactly where the town was. When I transferred to FSU, my only times on campus had been a few trips to hang out drinking my older brother's beer

May 27-30 Chicago Cubs games. Still going as I figure I can find something to do in Chicago if MLB cancels games up to then.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Rudolph
Yeah, I chose Iowa because I liked the Hawkeyes and they gave me some money for my first year. Did not have a formal visit and similarly did not bring much to campus.

I am shocked how different the decision process is since I went to school. So much more involved, huge school resources in marketing to these kids and kids feel peer pressure over a decision that honestly does not matter that much.

Of course, my no pic (also underage you pervs) daughter is a helluva lot smarter than me with more options than I had.

Not working today and tomorrow to watch basketball all day. Now I get to do shit around the house instead.

If this thing goes into the summer and affects the George Strait concert in Minneapolis....
HkrjlG.gif

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT