ADVERTISEMENT

How impaired is Cade?

Haaaa!!!! When? Good lord...he has no speed or agility. Never did. He can run in a straight line a little bit. He's never been better than Petras is that respect. He's overrated as a passer. Better than Petras but the talent around him is completely lacking. He isn't nearly good enough to overcome. You guys got snowed by the media on Cade.
Probably, but when things are looking as hopeless as the Iowa offense has, you're pretty susceptible to being manipulated.

Haaaa!!!! When? Good lord...he has no speed or agility. Never did. He can run in a straight line a little bit. He's never been better than Petras is that respect. He's overrated as a passer. Better than Petras but the talent around him is completely lacking. He isn't nearly good enough to overcome. You guys got snowed by the media on Cade.
Obviously you never paid much attention to Petras (or Padilla). They're the slowest QBs I remember in the Ferentz era. The bar is so low you could trip over it. No one would mistake a healthy Cade for Lamar Jackson, but it's patently obvious to any fair-minded viewer that he's hobbled. And when healthy, most definitely faster than Petras.

Cade is impaired for sure. However, I personally believe a non-impaired Cade would only benefit this offense marginally. I know it sounds like a broken record, but this entire offense is predicated on offensive line play and it isn't very good. And hasn't been in quite some time and thus the massive drop off in offensive production. To go back a bit, Petras totally botched some throws, but he also made some good ones and hung in there knowing he was going to get destroyed on pretty much every passing situation.

I wrote about this a couple of years ago after the ISU game, if you can't run on and protect the quarterback with the defense only rushing 3 down lineman you are in trouble. Big trouble. PSU the other night had their way with 3 dlineman, both on the inside and on the outside. I don't care what your playbook is, none of it is going to work in this scenario. And when you have to use a 2 tight ends and a back to protect the QB against a 4-man rush, you could have Jerry Rice and Randy Moss as receivers and it wouldn't matter.

I continue to feel badly for Spencer in all of this, he didn't deserve the ridicule that he received.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT