ADVERTISEMENT

How liable are parents for their child's actions?

funksouljon

HR Heisman
Jan 26, 2004
STL area
The Crumbley Trial had me wondering, how liable are the parents for the kids activities? This case is specific to firearms, but COULD be expanded.

Obviously if they took reasonable steps to prevent access, thats different than purchasing a firearm for a child to "own" which is also different than if the child acquired the firearms without the parental consent / knowledge.

But I expect they will be found guilty. And it does open up options for grieving families of victims looking to place blame and get some form "who is responsible?"

Parents are generally financially responsible for the willful actions of their child.

What would the proportionate level of guilt be? Meaning if the child killed 3 people, and the parents are found negligent, could they be charged to the same degree as the child ? e.g getaway driver in a bank robbery is held to the same crimes as the ones who went inside.

What would the proportionate level of guilt be? Meaning if the child killed 3 people, and the parents are found negligent, could they be charged to the same degree as the child ? e.g getaway driver in a bank robbery is held to the same crimes as the ones who went inside.
I would say some jail time and confiscate all their financial assets including retirement funds.

• Haha
Reactions: Underscore2
I would think there would be a chance for that, but it might depend on the level of negligence. Figure on one extreme, I basically have an armory that I don’t secure, keep them loaded and always have plenty of ammo around and the kid just has to go into the closet and grab what they want. That would probably be ripe for those charges.

On the other extreme end, I could have guns secured properly, haven had the entire family take gun safety training and the kid finds a way into the safe. That might be a harder charge.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Well, like everything, it depends. If the parents take active steps to enable a child to do something then they are very liable. If parents have been trying to address an issue with a child and have been taking steps to get the child help then I wouldn't think they are liable at all. As a society we need to quit taking the approach of "It's never the kid's fault". That philosophy isn't helping us.

if they do something good = it's call because of me

if they do something bad = it's because of outside influences

Well, like everything, it depends. If the parents take active steps to enable a child to do something then they are very liable. If parents have been trying to address an issue with a child and have been taking steps to get the child help then I wouldn't think they are liable at all. As a society we need to quit taking the approach of "It's never the kid's fault". That philosophy isn't helping us.
Largely agree. I also want to see many more prosecutions for parents who don’t properly secure their firearms. Anytime I hear about a kid shooting someone in their home, the gun owner probably deserves significant prison time. If you’re 7 and you can access a gun unsupervised, it mostly isn’t the kid’s fault.

Be responsible....
2cefcebb5d6e716935e91fbf55bb0dca.jpg

Reactions: goldmom
If you can't raise a child properly, than don't have children. Mom in forementioned case admitted that she never tried to get mental health for her son, even though she knew resources, and knew he was messed up.

She went further in letting him have a firearm that he was obsessed with.

What idiot parent lets their child do that?

Last edited:
Largely agree. I also want to see many more prosecutions for parents who don’t properly secure their firearms. Anytime I hear about a kid shooting someone in their home, the gun owner probably deserves significant prison time. If you’re 7 and you can access a gun unsupervised, it mostly isn’t the kid’s fault.

Agree with this although teens could probably get into a safe if they really want to.

I am ultimately agreeing it depends on the level of negligence

This is a very dangerous road we're traveling down. Buckle up.

That a person can be so negligent with the way they raise their kid that it makes them partially responsible for their children's actions. As someone with 3 kids I think that is a good thing.

We aren't talking about prosecuting someone responsible or who tried their best. We're talking about negligence. If you had a dog that was constantly aggressive to people and you shrugged your shoulders and just accepted it and then that dog later mauls a small child you would be punished because of your negligence.

Well, securing guns properly would be part of "doing everything possible" to prevent the incident imo.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Agree with this although teens could probably get into a safe if they really want to.

I am ultimately agreeing it depends on the level of negligence
Yes - level matters. If the gun safe includes hunting rifles and the kid regularly hunts, has been trained and probably has access, sure. Even a teen who has paid enough attention….but it’s still my gun and I’m still ultimately responsible for it….or if it’s a gun I provide to my kid, it’s on me also to make sure the kid is mature enough to handle, stable enough to handle and understands all relevant safety.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Is this question about all parents with guns and children or just middle class to affluent white parents? Do we cut a break to inner city welfare moms or hold them to the same standard?

Over Christmas a young man shot and killed his sister over Christmas presents. He had earlier threatened his older brother with his gun for the same reason. After he shot his sister the older brother shot him.
We know at least two underage men were packing hand guns and threatening people. Nobody disarmed them.
Should the mom and if we can figure out whom the dads are go to jail?

Is this question about all parents with guns and children or just middle class to affluent white parents? Do we cut a break to inner city welfare moms or hold them to the same standard?
Hold them to the same standard but I'm betting there aren't too many poor people, I mean, that's what you meant right? Poor people? Hard to get that through the dog whistles.

But anyway, poor people aren't spending a ton of money on guns anyway. They can't afford them.

Hold them to the same standard but I'm betting there aren't too many poor people, I mean, that's what you meant right? Poor people? Hard to get that through the dog whistles.

But anyway, poor people aren't spending a ton of money on guns anyway. They can't afford them.
You actually think the number of guns is less in poor neighborhoods because they can’t afford them? JFC that is another level of stupid.

You actually think the number of guns is less in poor neighborhoods because they can’t afford them? JFC that is another level of stupid.
That's a reason. But there are several reasons. Believe it or not, most people in poor areas don't have homes filled with illegal firearms. And just because you seem like you are in "jump to the dumbest conclusion possible" mode, I don't think most homes in affluent areas have guns either. However, of the few that do the chances that at least one of those homes has 25 firearms is actually pretty good.

The Crumbley Trial had me wondering, how liable are the parents for the kids activities? This case is specific to firearms, but COULD be expanded.

Obviously if they took reasonable steps to prevent access, thats different than purchasing a firearm for a child to "own" which is also different than if the child acquired the firearms without the parental consent / knowledge.

But I expect they will be found guilty. And it does open up options for grieving families of victims looking to place blame and get some form "who is responsible?"
So, when does the parent of gang bangers shooting up the neighborhood go to trial?

Soon, I hope.

How about the same standard?

If we are looking at guns, i have stated in other threads that any crime committed with a gun should result in a minumum 20 year sentence, with no early release. Serve the full sentence. You commit a second gun crime, youre in for life.

If someone commits a crime with someone elses gun, the legal gun owner should have some sort of accountability for not securing it and allowing it to get into the criminals hands.

If this country wants to get serious about gun crimes, but still stay hands off on any sort of regulations, this should be a reasonable option.

Reactions: billanole
Over Christmas a young man shot and killed his sister over Christmas presents. He had earlier threatened his older brother with his gun for the same reason. After he shot his sister the older brother shot him.
We know at least two underage men were packing hand guns and threatening people. Nobody disarmed them.
Should the mom and if we can figure out whom the dads are go to jail?
Any gun owner who fails to properly secure their weapon allowing a child to access should be liable for anything the child does with that gun. Period. Full stop.

Part of being a responsible gun owner is storing your weapon safely and ensuring only those with proper training can access it.

The attack began when 20-year-old Adam Lanza killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, in the home that the two shared in Newtown. She was shot four times with a .22-calibre rifle. She had purchased the rifle, as well as an AR-15—the civilian semiautomatic version of the military M16 assault rifle—and several other firearms that Adam Lanza would use later that day, in the years prior to the shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT