ADVERTISEMENT

Letting Parents Consent To Kids Using Social Media Is Like Letting Them Consent To Kids’ Drug Use

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
Of course that is a quote from a GOP politician. More proof Republicans are about controlling the populace and not personal rights. It does seem DeSantis is having a momentary slip into common sense.

Florida Politics reports:

The Senate continues to adjust a controversial ban on social media for Floridians under age 16. But legislation (HB 1) ready for a vote in the Senate still doesn’t allow parents final say whether kids can log into platforms.
Sen. Erin Grall, a Fort Pierce Republican, said the state needs to treat access to addictive platforms the same as other social ills. “A parent should never be able to consent to a child’s drug use,” Grall said. “This is a different version of drug use than most of us have ever seen. But it is just as bad.”
The Senate shot down an amendment filed by Sen. Tina Polsky, a Boca Raton Democrat, that would have at least allowed young entrepreneurs to access social media.
Read the full article. DeSantis has threatened to veto the bill, saying that he fears it would not withstand scrutiny by the courts.

Grall appeared here last week for her bill that would place “volunteer chaplains” in public schools.

Last year Grall appeared here for her bill that would require rape victims to show proof of having been raped in order to qualify for an abortion exception.

Grall that same month authored a bill that would fine trans people $10,000 for using the “wrong” public restroom.

1. Do you think there should be an age limit on social media?
2. Do you think social media is a net positive for kids or does it do more harm than good?
3. Do you think social media is addictive?
4. Do you think social media has convinced people to kill themself? shoot up a school? become trans?

I don't have an opinion on the people/comments in your post, but I do have concerns about social media for kids. Im curious where you stand on the questions above.

1. Do you think there should be an age limit on social media?
2. Do you think social media is a net positive for kids or does it do more harm than good?
3. Do you think social media is addictive?
4. Do you think social media has convinced people to kill themself? shoot up a school? become trans?
1) probably. But, i am for parents to be a parent and monitor their childs phone to see if there are any apps/websites they dont want their children going to and the pages they follow. If we go with age restrictions, we probably should have a limit on the upper side of the age scale also

2) id say it is more harmful on society overall, not just kids

3). You cant even go to the gym without seeing people scrolling on their social media.

An anecdotal story, I was over the border in canada for an afternoon last weekend. During lunch, i noticed that nobody at any of the tables had their phones out. Everybody was engaged and interacting with the people at their table. It was refreshing to see. Not sure how long its been since i have seen that.

4) im sure there have been.

Questions for you
1) do you see social media as being harmful overall, or just kids. If harmful overall, have you deleted your social media accounts.

2) what are your thoughts on the social media habits of former president, currently the GOP front runner for president?

3) if you think its harmful just for kids, and you have kids, what are you doing to set the example for your kids? Are you on your social media accounts when you are with them?

Last edited:
Florida is all over the board... this chick is saying parents shouldn't be able to permit kids to use social media while the surgeon general is saying its up to the parents if they send their unvaccinated child into a petri dish of measles at school. Florida AND the GOP have really become... well, I can't even come up with a succinct description what they have become since they are all over the board on being dangerously ridiculous.

Reactions: Ree4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT