ADVERTISEMENT

How Long Can Classic Rock Stations Survive?

The-Dude-Abides

HR All-State
Jan 1, 2023
Although I'm a bit young to have lived it, I'm a pretty big fan of the rock n roll music of the late 60s into the 70s. 80s more of a mixed bag imo. 90s was a renaissance period. All of this is now being played on the self-styled classic rock stations, mostly old school broadcast.

I listen to these FM stations quite a bit (poor), and although there are some newer additions now and then (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and now even Green Day), the bulk of it seems to be music from the 70s and 80s, even some 60s. Stones, Zep, Aerosmith, Hendrix, Beatles, Journey, BTO, Skynyrd, Queen, lot of 80s hair bands, etc., etc.

My question is how long can this last? Many of these songs are pushing or past 50 years old yet the get daily rotation. Is this an anomaly compared to other eras of music? Does it end when you old farts all finally die off?

Edit to add: Eagles. A shit ton of the Eagles.

Plus LOTS of Journey. I listen to Classic Vinyl and Classic Rewind on Sirius, plus my local FM classic rock station. I often wonder the same... when all the 50+ set dies out, will anyone listen to this music. And the new music coming out today, will that still be played in 50 years like the classic rock is now?

I mostly listen to talk radio (sports, npr, local stuff) but my wife listens to all music all the time (pop, classic rock, random crappy stuff) and I hear my kids sing along to all of it. The kids are pretty young and they seem to dig the classic rock genre while having no idea how old those songs are. I think classic rock stations will live on for a long time.

I love music but mostly listen to streaming stations to hear new stuff or full albums of new and old bands I’m taking in at the time.

Do “oldies” stations still exist on terrestrial radio? As a kid in the 80’s I loved the local oldies station. But that music was only 30 years old at the time, same as 90’s music is today.

Although I'm a bit young to have lived it, I'm a pretty big fan of the rock n roll music of the late 60s into the 70s. 80s more of a mixed bag imo. 90s was a renaissance period. All of this is now being played on the self-styled classic rock stations, mostly old school broadcast.

I listen to these FM stations quite a bit (poor), and although there are some newer additions now and then (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and now even Green Day), the bulk of it seems to be music from the 70s and 80s, even some 60s. Stones, Zep, Aerosmith, Hendrix, Beatles, Journey, BTO, Skynyrd, Queen, lot of 80s hair bands, etc., etc.

My question is how long can this last? Many of these songs are pushing or past 50 years old yet the get daily rotation. Is this an anomaly compared to other eras of music? Does it end when you old farts all finally die off?

I’d say as long as there are mechanics and people working on machinery floors, there will be some greasy radio blasting out “Won’t Get Fooled Again”.

As long as there's people that lived in the era still alive.

Don't hear much 50's rock on the radio any more, do we?

Pretty much this. It's still on because roughly 40% of the population are boomers and Gen X who listened to it growing up.

As our numbers dwindle, those stations will either change formats are go away.

My two teenage boys currently in high school favorite bands are…
Guns N Roses
AC/DC
Led Zeppelin
Aerosmith
Van Halen
Journey
Metallica

I think classic rock stations are safe for another 50 years.

My daughter listened to that in HS (still does) along with Pink Floyd, Bowie, Rush and punk and 80s alt.

She was the only person in her class listening to any of it. The other girls were listening to 00s/10s pop or country, the guys to Nu-Metal, hip hop or country.

Most of them would guessed The Beatles if you put on Hot For Teacher and asked what band recorded it.

There are two main "rock" stations in Tallahassee and they have pretty much played the exact same music since I arrived in '92. The classic rock station views the 60s and 70s as the classic rock era and plays mostly those songs. They will mix in some 80s rock sometimes. The "rock" station plays songs from the 90s and 2000s. Lots of grunge.

I'm guessing the definition of classic rock won't fully shift until us Gen-Xers die off.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
There are two main "rock" stations in Tallahassee and they have pretty much played the exact same music since I arrived in '92. The classic rock station views the 60s and 70s as the classic rock era and plays mostly those songs. They will mix in some 80s rock sometimes. The "rock" station plays songs from the 90s and 2000s. Lots of grunge.

I'm guessing the definition of classic rock won't fully shift until us Gen-Xers die off.
Gulf 104 and X 101.5?

Gulf 104 has been around since the early 80s, at least. 101.5 changed quite a bit from mid 80s-90s.

Gulf 104.1 has 99.9 playing the same stuff now.
101.5 is playing what they played when I came here in '93, although for a while it seemed like they played 4 Chili Peppers songs an hour...

Reactions: Flie
Gulf 104 and X 101.5?

Gulf 104 has been around since the early 80s, at least. 101.5 changed quite a bit from mid 80s-90s.

Yeah. 101.5 still seems exactly the same to me although they used to have the local DJs that did the morning shows vs Lex and Terry. Granted, I don't stay on that station long whenever I switch to it. It's usually soundgarden, red hot chili peppers, nirvana, pearl jam, or stone temple pilots whenever I switch to 101.5.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
Pretty much this. It's still on because roughly 40% of the population are boomers and Gen X who listened to it growing up.

As our numbers dwindle, those stations will either change formats are go away.
I’m guessing they will be similar to what rock stations are today. They play music from the 90’s and today and sprinkle in some older stuff from the 70’s and 80s.
They just won’t be playing the new music and will probably sprinkle in more from the 70’s and 80’s plus a tiny bit from the 2000’s.

One of our daughters who grew up having to listen to my 60s and 70s rock (in the 80s and 90s), loves it too.

On a related note, when we moved back to Iowa in 1990, an AM station (KRNT?) used to play popular music from the 50's, 60's, and 70s. Pretty sure it was all syndicated programming. Around 2000 they moved to more recent music which had them competing with the FM classic rock stations. Soon after that they went to an all sports talk format. Miss the older stuff that you don't hear anywhere anymore. Though I have a couple of Tidal lists that have those songs.

My college-age son listens to classic rock and hip hop/rap.

My college-age daughter listens to everything. She’ll go from Taylor Swift to The Smiths to a Queen deep track and back again. She’s in charge of the music when we have family get togethers.

My nephew is a college Junior and listens to classic rock.

There are younger people that do listen to it.

I do a lot of activities trips with school. Every one of them, I play music during the trip. Pretty much every trip, someone compliments my choices.

I think with younger generations, it's all about exposing them to it (making great choices) and chances are they'll seek it out.

One thing I do with my daily route kids is if one of them is wearing a classic rock concert T-shirt (mostly girls, and you'd be surprised how many do)...the afternoon trip home I then play that band's music.

Hope it's not OT to tie this in to Iowa football. I was amused last year when reading a Tory Taylor interview. His parents and some other relatives had just visited Iowa for the first time. I think they were here for two home games and one road game.
He seemed very proud to tell the interviewer that his family had told him that the song they play when the team comes down the tunnel is by a band from Australia!

Guns N Roses
AC/DC
Led Zeppelin
Aerosmith
Van Halen
Journey
Metallica

My 21 year old son loves the 90’s stuff I introduce him to. STP, Alice In Chains, Cake, etc. He doesn’t believe me when I tell him that stuff was played on the radio back then. He tells me any good music made today you’re never going to find on terrestrial radio.

Reactions: SA_Hawk
"Classic Rock" isnt a genre. It's a generational thing. Once music hits 25 years old it becomes classic rock.

Do “oldies” stations still exist on terrestrial radio? As a kid in the 80’s I loved the local oldies station. But that music was only 30 years old at the time, same as 90’s music is today.

I was going to reference this...they're pretty much dead. 60s "oldies" genre is my favorite music, even though I'm a generation too young for it. Growing up in the 80s, my father was a music enthusiast with music from the 60s, and I grew up with music ALL the time, and more than the regular handful of albums. I think my father has today like 20k CDs. He didn't have THAT many albums when I was a kid, but to give you an idea, I got more than just The Supremes and The Beatles. And the rest of the time listening the the phenomenal oldies radio station in the city I grew up in.

When I got to the age where I could choose my own music, I went through my own thing...Top 40 (I had the Milli Vanilli tape), rap (still love that very first generation of 80s/early 90s hip hop), then eventually rock/classic rock (it wasn't so separated when rock was still being made and popular) through the rest of my teenage years.

But as an adult, I eventually gravitated back to the music of the 1960s and "oldies". And the oldies stations really started to degrade in the 2000s. In the 80s and into the 90s, many were still being curated by people who cared about the music...into the 2000s, most of them narrowed down to the same 100 songs everyone knows. Unchained Melody into My Girl into Satisfaction, repeat. Really weak sauce. I'm not sure there are any local oldies radio stations left.

I think classic rock radio stations are definitely following the same path, when I turn them on from time to time. They play 4 AC/DC songs, instead of the 12 that were in rotation when I was younger. Three Supertramp songs instead of 9. I'm not expecting deep cuts, but they've just shortened the bench so much that there's really so much left to discover if you only had the radio to go by.

But the fact that young people DON'T just have the radio to go by will keep that music alive, even if "classic rock radio" dies out. As people mentioned, young people have definitely found that music. I'm disappointed that oldies died out before the streaming era exposed more young people to it, but even then there are a small number of young people that do engage earlier than the classic rock era. It's not many compared to classic rock, but my kids have met a handful of peers over the years that also knew The Hollies, Badfinger, etc. Because they were raised on it, they're always surprised to run into someone else their age, and they let me know when they do. It's a very small percentage, but my kids run into more people their age that know 60s music than I did when I was 20 in 1992.

All that being said, the Sirius 60s music channel is 100% awesome. They are pretty much the ideal oldies station, clearly still programmed by people that give a shit. I couldn't program it better if I wanted to. Then add in Underground Garage that keeps a significant portion of its programming from the 60s, and an eclectic selection at that, and Sirius is a godsend for oldies fans.

I find that most of my student's listening preferences are far more eclectic than when I was in school. A lot of hip-hop and rap, but a lot of stuff I've never heard of either. They listen to a lot of people who just put up YouTube videos.

My daughter listened to that in HS (still does) along with Pink Floyd, Bowie, Rush and punk and 80s alt.

She was the only person in her class listening to any of it. The other girls were listening to 00s/10s pop or country, the guys to Nu-Metal, hip hop or country.

Most of them would guessed The Beatles if you put on Hot For Teacher and asked what band recorded it.

My kids grew up on 1960s "oldies" music and some classic rock, and they have a vast reservoir of knowledge about it. My oldest (26) still knows it and thinks of it fondly, but I don't think listens to it any more. My second (23), she says that about 25% of her time on Spotify is playing the oldies mixes.

My 20 year old son...he was always just fine with the 60s music, but introducing him to early classic rock like Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull when he was little really sparked his interest. He's extremely (but not exclusively) into prog rock, stuff I have a limited tolerance for. About a year ago, we went to a football game with my father and one of his friends, and it turns out my father's friend was heavily into prog rock, and somehow it came out, and this 70 year old and my 19 year old spent like an hour name checking and discussing all this prog rock, shit I never heard of in my life.

Shooting completely blind, I would guess overall radio economics are a bigger threat to the existence of classic rock radio than the popularity of the genre itself.

Hopefully they continue, it can still be one of those things that are community/geography bound as opposed to national stations like Sirius/XM/Spotify and the rest of the streamers.

Eastern Iowa listeners will know the Finally Friday mashup at 5:00 and "Letting the Led Out" at 7:00, and people from other communities would likely identify the same bits if the stations share corporate ownership....

Guns N Roses
AC/DC
Led Zeppelin
Aerosmith
Van Halen
Journey
Metallica

The band " Hairball " pulled most of these off last Friday at the Xtreme Arena in Coralville, including an impressive wardrobe change between songs/bands...

I grew up in the 60's and 70's with today's Classic Rock artists. I mostly listen to Classic Vinyl on Sirius XM today.

I have a daughter who entered her teens about 10 years ago and I would occasionally embarrass her by driving around with XM's Big Bands Sound station from the 40's with the volume cranked up and the windows down. She would try to slink below the window line pleading with me to change the station.

Good times. lol

• Haha
Reactions: VodkaSam
I think that era of music will live on for a long time. I still listen to the Beatles, beach boys, Judas, etc. it’s just…classic lol.

It's a sign of getting old to claim that music has lost something. That it's not "good" anymore. I think there's some truth to that nowadays though. Not so much in how songs express feelings or reach people, but in how "musical" they are. And in how genuine they are from particular artists vs. studio people.

Reactions: General Tso
When I see a teenager driving by...it's flip a coin on if you hear rap or classic rock coming from the car.

When I see a teenager driving by...it's flip a coin on if you hear rap or classic rock coming from the car.
That's good to hear. I remember discovering some of this music at about 14 or 15 and pirating half the public library's CD collection in a matter of weeks. Checked out Electric Ladyland and had a damn near religious experience hearing Voodoo Child for the first time.

"Classic Rock" isnt a genre. It's a generational thing. Once music hits 25 years old it becomes classic rock.
NioWjkK.png

Guns N Roses
AC/DC
Led Zeppelin
Aerosmith
Van Halen
Journey
Metallica

This. My 14 y/o mostly thinks music written after the 90s sucks shit... and he's right, you know

Reactions: Speedway1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT