ADVERTISEMENT

How many gallons of water do you use per person a month?

gohawks50

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2010
I live in the country and found out about a week ago that my well is going dry. I have a large cistern that feeds 2 houses which I was able to find a farmer to put 3500 gallons of water in last Thursday. I have contacted a well drilling company as well as researching whether it's possible for me to hook up to city water (which can be accessed just on the other side of Hwy 34). Both options will take a few months before I can get hooked up. Anyway Google says the average person uses 3000 gallons a month or 12,000 gallons for a family of 4. That seems high, but maybe I'm wrong. I won't be watering the lawn, livestock, or filling a pool. I'm trying to figure out how often I will need to ask the farmer to put in an additional 1200 gallons or so until I can get hooked up to a new water source.

I live in the country and found out about a week ago that my well is going dry. I have a large cistern that feeds 2 houses which I was able to find a farmer to put 3500 gallons of water in last Thursday. I have contacted a well drilling company as well as researching whether it's possible for me to hook up to city water (which can be accessed just on the other side of Hwy 34). Both options will take a few months before I can get hooked up. Anyway Google says the average person uses 3000 gallons a month or 12,000 gallons for a family of 4. That seems high, but maybe I'm wrong. I won't be watering the lawn, livestock, or filling a pool. I'm trying to figure out how often I will need to ask the farmer to put in an additional 1200 gallons or so until I can get hooked up to a new water source.
Showers are close to 2 gallons per minute. Think about how much you flush, shower, do laundry, do dishes, drink water, cook with water, etc.

Reactions: Moral
Who Cares GIF by Judge Judy

Reactions: QChawks
Showers are close to 2 gallons per minute. Think about how much you flush, shower, do laundry, do dishes, drink water, cook with water, etc.
Yeah, I have looked into those numbers. I'm doing my best to be conserve water. I used to live in a small town, but I don't think my water usage was ever 3000 gallons per person a month, but I didn't really pay attention to the gallons just the dollar amount. I thought maybe some of you would have an idea.

I live in the country and found out about a week ago that my well is going dry. I have a large cistern that feeds 2 houses which I was able to find a farmer to put 3500 gallons of water in last Thursday. I have contacted a well drilling company as well as researching whether it's possible for me to hook up to city water (which can be accessed just on the other side of Hwy 34). Both options will take a few months before I can get hooked up. Anyway Google says the average person uses 3500 gallons a month or 12,000 gallons for a family of 4. That seems high, but maybe I'm wrong. I won't be watering the lawn, livestock, or filling a pool. I'm trying to figure out how often I will need to ask the farmer to put in an additional 1200 gallons or so until I can get hooked up to a new water source.
I'm monitoring mine and my wife and I are using around 3,000/mo total.

Reactions: gohawks50
Yeah, I have looked into those numbers. I'm doing my best to be conserve water. I used to live in a small town, but I don't think my water usage was ever 3000 gallons per person a month, but I didn't really pay attention to the gallons just the dollar amount. I thought maybe some of you would have an idea.
3000 does seem high, but I also only look at price not number.

I'm monitoring mine and my wife and I are using around 3,000/mo total.
Usually 1500-2000 gallons per month per person.

If it’s yellow, let it mellow. Save the flush for later.

Edit: I had the wife look up our last month’s water bill. We used 2,263 gallons between the two of us. The youngest son comes over once a week to do laundry too.

Last edited:
If that’s true, and my calculations are correct, I use nearly 1200 gallons a month just showering…..that seems excessive. Am I a bad person? I like showers…..

If that’s true, and my calculations are correct, I use nearly 1200 gallons a month just showering…..that seems excessive. Am I a bad person? I like showers…..
One time in some fluff college class this 19 yo kid was going on and on about how his purpose was to be a water conservation activist or something and some random student from the back of the classroom asked him "you ever brush your teeth in the shower? feels so good"

It was such a troll bc you could see the water guy's eye twitch.

also don't feel bad bc there was some poster a while back that said they wash their truck like 25 times per month

• Haha
I don’t know. the minimum which we are required to pay for 748 gallons even if we don’t use it, I’m usually at 3 units so I guess I’m around 2200 gallons.

Edit: My dog and I also don’t drink the tap water because they’re constantly changing whether or not it’s got problems, so I have another bill of the big bottles from the store of probably $50 a month.

We used about 3200 gallons in February for a family of three and 5000 in January.

When we built the new water system in Hills, each household was entitled to 4,000 gal/mo. at the base rate and 5.00/1,000 gallons over that. Most households never go over...
That’s cheap water. We pay a $50/month fee for the privilege of being hooked up to rural water, and $9/1000 gallons on top of that. Water bill’s usually around $110-$140/month.

That’s cheap water. We pay a $50/month fee for the privilege of being hooked up to rural water, and $9/1000 gallons on top of that. Water bill’s usually around $110-$140/month.
So you use roughly 7 to 9,000 gallons per month? How many people? Any special circumstances like watering livestock or the lawn?

I’m sorry, but what kind of psychopath monitors their water usage?
Don't know about being a psychopath, but when it comes to waste, I'll admit to a hint of OCD. My water bill spiked in December and again in January. Made no sense given the lack of outdoor watering that takes place in summer and it's just the wife and I. I called the village to see what might be going on. The lady turns me on to an app called EyeOnWater that shows daily historical water usage. Sure enough it shows my water usage going up with the temperatures going down. The only thing I could think of that used more water in the winter was the humidifier hanging off the furnace. Sure enough, daily usage dropped precipitously after I turned the humidifier off. Stuck solenoid had it running constantly. Mystery solved and my water usage is where it should be.

So you use roughly 7 to 9,000 gallons per month? How many people? Any special circumstances like watering livestock or the lawn?
4 people. My wife and I and two teenagers. The low water use months are ‘normal’ water usage; showers, laundry, dishwasher, etc.

I put in a smart toilet/bidet. It only uses 1.2 gallons per flush. My washer is high efficiency as well as my dishwasher. I just put in a recirculating pump on my water heater with a valve under my bathroom sink that opens to let the water in the hot water line into the cold. This brings hot water to the faucet without wasting any water. This is set up on a motion detector and smart plug. I take steps to conserve water, but I've never checked to see how much we use.
I did take out the flow restrictor from the shower head though. It is lovely.

We are in the 12,000 gallon a month area. There are 6 of us and a dog we live in town so no livestock. 4 of the 6 are female and 4 are kids 15 and younger. We try and use less but it always seems about the same at the end of the month.

I’m wanting to replace my water softner to an on demand type which should help since our current one is a piece of crap. None of our toilets run when not being flushed so not sure what else to do other then remind the kids to not spend all day showering.

Don't know about being a psychopath, but when it comes to waste, I'll admit to a hint of OCD. My water bill spiked in December and again in January. Made no sense given the lack of outdoor watering that takes place in summer and it's just the wife and I. I called the village to see what might be going on. The lady turns me on to an app called EyeOnWater that shows daily historical water usage. Sure enough it shows my water usage going up with the temperatures going down. The only thing I could think of that used more water in the winter was the humidifier hanging off the furnace. Sure enough, daily usage dropped precipitously after I turned the humidifier off. Stuck solenoid had it running constantly. Mystery solved and my water usage is where it should be.
Our local annual sewer rates are calculated on winter time usage. That would cause us to pay higher rates all year. That would suck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT