ADVERTISEMENT

How Many U.S. President's Homes Have You Toured?

LuteHawk

HB Legend
Nov 30, 2011
Our family has toured 8

Washington, Mt. Vernon, Virginia
Jefferson, Monticello, Virginia
Madison, Montpelier, Virginia
Monroe, Ash Lawn, Virginia
Jackson, Hermitage, Tennessee
Lincoln, Springfield, Illinois
Eisenhower, Abilene, Kansas
Eisenhower, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

Washington, Jefferson, Madison, and Jackson actually had
mansions. We enjoyed visiting all eight of these places.

Visited Hermitage last spring. It was interesting to see as they were trying to reclaim the slave territory of the property that had gone natural for a long time. Trying to tell that part of the story, keep Jackson's image, but in light of how we view things now versus then.

LBJ's ranch, Texas

giphy.webp

Our family has toured 8

Monroe, Ash Lawn, Virginia
Jackson, Hermitage, Tennessee
Lincoln, Springfield, Illinois
Eisenhower, Abilene, Kansas
Eisenhower, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

Washington, Jefferson, Madison, and Jackson actually had
mansions. We enjoyed visiting all eight of these places.

I prioritize visiting historical sites when traveling including presidential libraries, homes, and birthplaces. I have visited all of the above in your list along with the following:
  • Washington birthplace, Virginia
  • Martin Van Buren, Kinderhook, NY
  • Lincoln birthplace, Hodgenville, KY
  • Lincoln boyhood, Lincoln City, IN
  • Grant National Historic, St. Louis
  • Grant home, Galena
  • James Garfield, Mentor, OH
  • Teddy Roosevelt birthplace, New York City
  • Taft home, Cincinnati
  • Wilson birthplace, Staunton, VA
  • Wilson home, Washington DC
  • Hoover, West Branch
  • FDR home and Top Cottage, Hyde Park, NY
  • FDR Little White House, Warm Springs, GA
  • Truman birthplace, Lamar, MO
  • Truman home, Independence, MO
  • Truman Little White House, Key West
  • LBJ Ranch, Texas
  • LBJ boyhood home, Johnson City, TX
  • Nixon, Yorba Linda, CA
  • Carter farm, Plains, GA
  • Reagan birthplace, Tampico, IL
  • Reagan boyhood, Dixon, IL

Need to get to Teddy Roosevelt’s house in Sagamore Hill next time in NYC, and also the Adams and Kennedy historic sites next time in Boston.

Mt Vernon
Monticello
Montpelier
Oak Hill
Eisenhower farm

Monticello is obviously the coolest and most interesting, but Montpelier was actually my favorite, and not just because I'm a Madisonian.

When I first visited, it was still under the control of the Dupont family and had not been "restored" to its original format. So you had the horse facilities that were still operational, and in the house, it was like taking a tour of a half century of design styles, culminating in Mrs. Dupont's art deco horse/tack room which was rather jarring after having come through Georgian and High Victorian rooms. But my favorite part was when they explained that the extremely shiny doorknobs throughout the house were actually glass, filled with mercury.(!) I also liked the story of Mr. Dupont building a personal train station so he didn't have to get off at Orange or Charlottesville.

When I went more recently, much of the structure was restored to its original format, which was great, and the dupont stuff had sort of been recreated separately. And there's now a ginormous exhibit on 'slavery at Montpelier' that few actually go look at. It got me curious, and with a little research, I found out that the board, which I learned at one point had been led by a former professor of mine who was a fantastic madison scholar, had essentially been reimagined such that it is now controlled by descendants of slaves. The place was really going sideways, but seems to have stabilized in a manner that is highly focused on monetization.

Still very much worth a visit. And if you're in the area, stop in at nearby Barboursville Vineyards, where you can see the ruins of the Jefferson designed mansion of Gov. Barbour, where Jefferson would stay when he would take now-route 20 to go to visit Madison. The wine, and the associated restaurant at Barboursville, are fantastic, and you can stay in a cottage on site.

I went to Mount Vernon and Monticello when I was a kid and can barley remember them.

I've been to Lincoln's Cottage a few times. It's a hidden gem.

Indeed. We used to do a cyclocross race on the grounds up there (i think NCVC still runs it) and it's a fantastic hidden spot in DC.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I prioritize visiting historical sites when traveling including presidential libraries, homes, and birthplaces. I have visited all of the above in your list along with the following:
  • Washington birthplace, Virginia
  • Martin Van Buren, Kinderhook, NY
  • Lincoln birthplace, Hodgenville, KY
  • Lincoln boyhood, Lincoln City, IN
  • Grant National Historic, St. Louis
  • Grant home, Galena
  • James Garfield, Mentor, OH
  • Teddy Roosevelt birthplace, New York City
  • Taft home, Cincinnati
  • Wilson birthplace, Staunton, VA
  • Wilson home, Washington DC
  • Hoover, West Branch
  • FDR home and Top Cottage, Hyde Park, NY
  • FDR Little White House, Warm Springs, GA
  • Truman birthplace, Lamar, MO
  • Truman home, Independence, MO
  • Truman Little White House, Key West
  • LBJ Ranch, Texas
  • LBJ boyhood home, Johnson City, TX
  • Nixon, Yorba Linda, CA
  • Carter farm, Plains, GA
  • Reagan birthplace, Tampico, IL
  • Reagan boyhood, Dixon, IL

Need to get to Teddy Roosevelt’s house in Sagamore Hill next time in NYC, and also the Adams and Kennedy historic sites next time in Boston.
You have been to all those places and haven't checked the one in your backyard off?

*Sorry missed it, I'm an idiot.

Visited Mt. Vernon when I was in 8th grade. That's it. No desire to see any others, they just don't really interest me too much.

I used to give tours of Herbert Hoover's birthplace cabin in West Branch. Other than the White House, I think that's the only presidential home I've visited.

Reactions: QChawks
We went through as grade schoolers in the late 90s.
My favorite factoid to share was that some of the rafters have ~2-3" holes in them because they were built from lumber that was rafted down the Mississippi River and the cheaper logs were the ones that had been drilled in order to join them at the periphery of the raft in order to hold the whole giant floating mass together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT