ADVERTISEMENT

One Civil War was enough — don't risk another to erase history

You have white supremacists to blame for losing these statues and memorials. No one else.

I completely disagree with that. The white supremacists used to have their rallies out in the sticks somewhere, on private property, in secret.

The agitators demanding the statues be removed have brought them into the public square.

I think I have figured out a way to fix this whole disagreement. The supporters of the confederacy as a thing to worship could have a telethon to raise money. That money could then be rationed out so that anyone who wanted a statue to worship could have one built on their OWN property. If they so desired each person could they could chip in as much additional money as they want to make the statue as big as they want.

You are changing the discussion on me.
I thought we were discussing opinions. I have not said anyone's rights should be taken away.

I'm not changing anything. "Art" is freedom of speech and you're advocating removing the "art" (e.g. statues).

It puts it in proper perspective.

That's all I'm asking for, here.

I think the motivation for erecting the monuments is an important part of the perspective. If the motivation was generally to make a point to blacks and/or Yankees, this perspective challenges the notion that they are merely historical markers.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
I'm not changing anything. "Art" is freedom of speech and you're advocating removing the "art" (e.g. statues).
I have made no such assertion in this thread about removing or destroying statues. My discussion has been about viewing one side of the statue issue as better than the other side of the issue
. But if you want to get into the removement issue I can. By having a statue of the confederacy on public ground you are by default saying that the opinions and beliefs of those who favor the confederacy monuments are better that those who are against them. If you want to worship an ideal of racism then commission a piece of art and put it on your own property or a private museum open to the public. If a city or state wants a statue of racism removed from public land no one is stopping a person from making arrangements to have it put on private property. Yes, some have taken matters into their own hands and destroyed these remnants of slavery and that is unacceptable.

!?!?!

Seriously? Should Charlottesville be forced to publish Ann Coulter's next book if some Nazis demand it?

Nobody (except, I guess, you) is trying to advance that absurd argument.

Of course it's free speech. If "Jesus in a jar of piss" is protected, statues that have been in place for generations are protected, too.

I have made no such assertion in this thread about removing or destroying statues. My discussion has been about viewing one side of the statue issue as better than the other side of the issue
. But if you want to get into the removement issue I can. By having a statue of the confederacy on public ground you are by default saying that the opinions and beliefs of those who favor the confederacy monuments are better that those who are against them. If you want to worship an ideal of racism then commission a piece of art and put it on your own property or a museum open to the public. If a city or state wants a statue of racism removed from public land no one is stopping a person from making arrangements to have it put on private property. Yes, some have taken matters into their own hands and destroyed these remnants of slavery and that is unacceptable.

Well, no. Alternate statues and memorials could be constructed.

Well, no. Alternate statues and memorials could be constructed.
Disappointed-Terrible-Awful-OMG-Embarassed-Embarassing-WTF-GIF.gif

Wehrmacht memorial in Normandy...
1200px-German_military_cemetery_Normandy_1.jpg

Soviet memorial in Berlin...
500px-Panorama_of_the_Russian_War_Memorial_at_Treptow.jpg

Wehrmacht memorial Volgograd, Russia...

images

but we have to behave like petulant little bitches in this country... despite the dead actually being countryman.

Reactions: The Tradition
I completely disagree with that.
You're free to do that. I even understand how the flag is misidentified, and monuments as well. But, that is because of the white supremacists usage of the flag and their present-day attempts to keep the statues. Once the symbols are associated, by the majority of people, with something as blatant as racial bigotry, then the game is over. There's no tolerance for it, which is a good thing. People don't want to bother with deeper understandings. And, I don't blame them.

Shelby Foote even agrees:

Wehrmacht memorial in Normandy...
1200px-German_military_cemetery_Normandy_1.jpg

Soviet memorial in Berlin...
500px-Panorama_of_the_Russian_War_Memorial_at_Treptow.jpg

Wehrmacht memorial Volgograd, Russia...

images

but we have to behave like petulant little bitches in this country... despite the dead actually being countryman.
Where are the statues of traitors on horseback being glorified in the uniform of an invading army which was attacking the people of these lands?

Memorials of sacrificed soldiers should NOT be touched... do whatever you think is necessary to their political leaders and those that led them to their sad demise.
Well thats is the focus of this discussion, so maybe you could stop trying to muddy the waters by pretending a statue of Robert Lee is the same as some cemetery with a cross in the middle.

I grew up in Jacksonville when Lynyrd Skynyrd was popular and virtually everyone had a Skynyrd t-shirt with rebel flags on it. Even the black guys!
I missed this yesterday.

I don't think I've ever seen a black person who was a Skynyrd fan. Did you mean black GUY, singular?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT