ADVERTISEMENT

How often do you think about the Roman Empire?

Umm not an every day thing for me. Weekly I'm sure. Comes up online a lot because I post on college football message boards and lurk a lot of reddit and Twitter.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
My wife and I know each other well enough that she would easily answer often. I actually would say every week for me.

I probably think about Napoleon daily, but I just find him and the time he lived in so fascinating.

My no pics was watching this the other day too. I thought about playing along and turning it in to a drawn out discussion about roads and aqueducts, but there was a football game about to start so I just said "I spend probably 10 minutes more per year thinking about the Roman Empire than I do thinking about Temujin and the Mongols."

Having workers bathe you wouldn't be so bad

mmlyuuvbuyj91.gif

Once a week, maybe every other week for me.

I saw kind of an analogue to this going around as well, something like "Ladies, I just found out that every guy has a favorite plane. Go ahead and ask him!" or something like that.

And when I read it, I was like "Well, that's not me, I certainly don't have a favor....OOOOH the SR-71 Blackbird!!!!"

Not often. Those Roman dudes back then were shorter, balded early and were huge misogynists. And they had bad breath from that nasty fish sauce they used to put on their food.

As a student of history, it is interesting to remember
the "Pax Romana". This was the era of peace in the Roman
Empire from 30 BC. to 180 AD. This was a period without
major wars . The serenity and tranquility of daily life was
wonderful for everyone.

such a beauty. I love going to Udvar-Hazy and it being the first thing you see with the Space Shuttle Discovery looming in the hangar in the background. That place is awesome.

Yep, I've seen it there, and I've seen it at the Museum of Aviation in Warner Robbins, GA. That place is very cool, because its a little more intimate than the Smithsonian.

I'm really not a plane or military guy at all, I enjoy seeing them, but the Blackbird is different. Takes your breath away to see it, especially combined with its unique history. Very cool whenever it pops up on TV or a movie or anything. Love it.

Yep, I've seen it there, and I've seen it at the Museum of Aviation in Warner Robbins, GA. That place is very cool, because its a little more intimate than the Smithsonian.

I'm really not a plane or military guy at all, I enjoy seeing them, but the Blackbird is different. Takes your breath away to see it, especially combined with its unique history. Very cool whenever it pops up on TV or a movie or anything. Love it.
When I worked as an ATC, SR-71's would come on the frequency once in a while asking for permission to enter our air space. We controlled up to 60,000 feet and they would be descending from above that so they could enter the AF's aerial-refueling zones within our air space. It didn't happen real often but it did get everyone's attention when it happened.

Thinking about it? or having it cross my mind?

Throw in Greece, the Egyptians, Rome, the Florentines, Medieval Europe and the Enlightenment ... and I would have to say that I see things all the time that remind me of the various histories. Historians seem to draw a line that goes all the way from Socrates through to John Locke, and even to Thomas Jefferson, so it is kind of hard avoid having one's memory jogged when reading the news of the day.

We as a society are not that different from any of those peoples.

My wife and I know each other well enough that she would easily answer often. I actually would say every week for me.

I probably think about Napoleon daily, but I just find him and the time he lived in so fascinating.
Agree, I love reading about when he was exiled to St Helena. That little island is a bucket list item for me.

Can not find it anywhere online but I watched an episode of Globe Trekker on PBS late one night years ago where a guy visited it, amazing history. It's one of the most remote inhabitanted islands in the world, guy had to get there by cargo ship back then. They put in an airport around COVID time, so it's slightly more accessible now, but I'd still love to sail there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
What is the oldest one you have?
5th century BC

01034q00.jpg

I have this one, which i like a lot. It's not as old, but I like it:

01054q00.jpg

Now that I think of the question...probably more than I realize.

I find their society and political structure fascinating. I always think people from "back in the day" get unfairly judged as not as smart because their technology wasn't "electronic" if you will...but that is not fair or accurate.

To think someone designed and built the colosseum for example like 2,000 years ago is amazing to me.

Not a big podcast person (more of an audiobook guy), but I listened to and really enjoyed Mike Duncan's "History of Rome" podcast. Basically was about 180 episodes, each about 25 minutes and spanned from about 400 BC to 476 AD or there about.

a4fd765584ce3dd91656ad728feec03c.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT