ADVERTISEMENT

How often should the American people storm the Capitol building?

How often should the American people storm the US Capitol?

• Never - that would be mean!

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Once in a century - save it for only the really juicy stuff!

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Once in a lifetime - Everyone should experience it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once every ten years - yeah, enough crap goes down that they deserve it!

• Once every 2 years - Yes, every Congress pulls this crap and we need to make our presence known

• Every month - Crap Lucious, we should just set up camp outside on the mall full time

• Every friggin vote - Congress packs pork into everything, the people need a permanent presence

• OP's Mom - no reasoning behind this answer but I'd like to storm that everyday

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

LuciousBDragon

HR Legend
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2017
The American Southwest
Now, do not hear what I am not saying. But, watching the events unfold today give me two key thoughts. First and foremost, violence should not be tolerated and is unacceptable. There are a few today who are choosing violence instead of peaceful protest and that is never the right way to voice your opinion.

Secondly, it is somehow encouraging to see the people (peaceful people) take what is theirs. Take the protest to the steps of the Capitol! Take it to the floor where the meeting is taking place! Why should taxpayers pay for boundaries & fences around the government buildings they also paid for? Why should the protest stop hundreds of yards away from the debate? Why can't it be closer to the debate floor? Democracy dies in darkness (that's the WaPo's own words), so it is encouraging people to see the citizens challenge the lawmakers face-to-face.

Perhaps the reason our government is so dysfunctional for the people is because they do not fear the people. They need reminded who they work for. Sure, Congressmen & Women meet with the people but do they fear us? I can imagine several lawmakers today were afraid. That's a good thing. They should fear the people. Fear us all so much that they dare not do something against the will.

Now, we will never all agree that the reason for today's storming is valid. That's fine. That's not the point of my post. But, think of all the hundreds and thousands of votes, motions, and debate over the years where the people should have been standing outside ready to rage. House passes motion # 1234556-B allowing remittance of $2B to the nation of Bolivia to study birdshit patterns? Shouldn't we have been storming the shit out of that instead of just allowing it to happen? $2B more earmarked for the much delayed and troubled F-35 joint-strike fighter? The most expensive defense project ever over a trillion of your tax dollars? Only 19 years in the works, hell, the Apollo space program not only got off the ground faster but made it to the friggin' moon in half the time! STORM THE GATES!!!

I think some (not all) of the founding fathers are smiling down on us today. Democracy is messy and imperfect. They knew this, they intended for the gates to be torn down every now and then. So, how often should we storm the capitol?

It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a traitor than to open it and remove all doubt

Why can't it be closer to the debate floor? Democracy dies in darkness (that's the WaPo's own words), so it is encouraging people to see the citizens challenge the lawmakers face-to-face.
The proceedings were televised live. And "the citizens" never challenged a single lawmaker face-to-face. Your "analysis" is idiotic.

I don't mind today's protests at all—the nonviolent stuff. Just amused that they're under false pretenses. Love the fake news people protesting, motivated in large part by fake news. I do commiserate that power is far, far too isolated and insulated (for the most part).

Now, do not hear what I am not saying. But, watching the events unfold today give me two key thoughts. First and foremost, violence should not be tolerated and is unacceptable. There are a few today who are choosing violence instead of peaceful protest and that is never the right way to voice your opinion.

Secondly, it is somehow encouraging to see the people (peaceful people) take what is theirs. Take the protest to the steps of the Capitol! Take it to the floor where the meeting is taking place! Why should taxpayers pay for boundaries & fences around the government buildings they also paid for? Why should the protest stop hundreds of yards away from the debate? Why can't it be closer to the debate floor? Democracy dies in darkness (that's the WaPo's own words), so it is encouraging people to see the citizens challenge the lawmakers face-to-face.

Perhaps the reason our government is so dysfunctional for the people is because they do not fear the people. They need reminded who they work for. Sure, Congressmen & Women meet with the people but do they fear us? I can imagine several lawmakers today were afraid. That's a good thing. They should fear the people. Fear us all so much that they dare not do something against the will.

Now, we will never all agree that the reason for today's storming is valid. That's fine. That's not the point of my post. But, think of all the hundreds and thousands of votes, motions, and debate over the years where the people should have been standing outside ready to rage. House passes motion # 1234556-B allowing remittance of $2B to the nation of Bolivia to study birdshit patterns? Shouldn't we have been storming the shit out of that instead of just allowing it to happen? $2B more earmarked for the much delayed and troubled F-35 joint-strike fighter? The most expensive defense project ever over a trillion of your tax dollars? Only 19 years in the works, hell, the Apollo space program not only got off the ground faster but made it to the friggin' moon in half the time! STORM THE GATES!!!

I think some (not all) of the founding fathers are smiling down on us today. Democracy is messy and imperfect. They knew this, they intended for the gates to be torn down every now and then. So, how often should we storm the capitol?
I think the founding fathers would have capped them once they entered the Senate and House chambers

We should probably roll some tanks over them and really truly become the vassal state of China. Tieneman Square baby

I think the founding fathers would have capped them once they entered the Senate and House chambers

There is very little doubt the founding fathers would have acted violently in response. They were revolutionaries after all. Duelling was a thing.

I wonder how many 30-60 year old first time voters you're describing. People who scoffed at voting before they were inspired by Trump into paranoid delusion. You're encouraged that they finally tried democracy and it didn't work how they wanted it to so now they're trying this. I couldn't disagree more. I've never hated the idea of the individual more than seeing this version.

I don't mind today's protests at all—the nonviolent stuff. Just amused that they're under false pretenses. Love the fake news people protesting, motivated in large part by fake news. I do commiserate that power is far, far too isolated and insulated (for the most part).
I had NPR on in the background and heard a commentator express her frustration at the protestors who have their own truth and ignore reality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT