ADVERTISEMENT

How to you fix CHA?

I bet the majority of people bitching in this thread do not have season tickets and did not contribute to the original or follow up arena fundraising campaigns. And I bet they would sit on their butts if there was a new campaign to build or remodel the arena. they want others to build it so they can have fun.

We are ranked #12 in basketball facilities in the B1G. There is only 2 facilities in b-ball; the arena & the indoor practice facility. Our indoor facility was built within the last 10 years and is decent so that leaves only CHA that makes up ranking 12th of 14 teams. What does that say to our recruits and future coaches if that’s what outside opinions think?

It’s fine to say ‘we don’t want to raise the money’ but it also means we can’t have lofty expectations either. That’s just the reality.

1) Sell alcohol
2) Make student tickets free
3) Wall off the concourse so people walking around/waiting for their soft serve can’t easily watch the game, and make for a generally louder arena
4) Create a club area where more affluent individuals/people with passes can order drinks and mingle
5) Create/better market a student spirit group that attends each game and allow it to drive student attendance as it increases in popularity
6) Prosper

From the games I’ve been to and my view from Nebraska, Iowa sports marketing is awful, and they are lucky that they have a loyal fan base or the football attendance would be dying too. Zero creativity, tons of money grabbing. If I’m going to an Iowa basketball game, (especially if I don’t live in Iowa City) then I better have a better time than if I choose to watch it at a bar or at my house. I don’t go to Carver to WATCH the game. I go to EXPERIENCE the game, and the current administration doesn’t seem to understand the difference. The opportunity to be a part of the burrito lift isn’t getting me through the doors

Edit: and this all is regardless of whether the game is being played at Carver or somewhere else. Make a new arena while keeping the same marketing tactics, and the result will be the same

Yes they could. It would wipe out a lot of seats, in several rows. But it would be worth it!

On the north and northwest side of the arena(behind the bench and the around the tunnel) they could bring the infrastructure under the seating(which would be removed).

Build 2 bigger sections, and 2 smaller sections, with standing room areas, restrooms and concessions. And a narrow aisle around the arena, Using rows 20-24...

Since the media has shank in nunbers, and the area takes up a ton of space, relocate that. Have part of that area be one of the larger concessions areas. Sections BB & CC. Have the other larger section be in part of L & M. With two smaller ones in sections D & JJ... Those two would be just for restrooms and beverages.

Seating would be re-added above the concession areas. Or have that be table seating, with standing room and TVs. And more beer.

The convenience of just a few toilets 30+ rows closer.... Aahh.. It makes my bladder feel relieved just thinking about it!!! LoL

It can be done. And it would make the place much more conforming to modern arenas... Which should have been done originally, if the powers that be just used their heads.
By far, the winner. Are you a friend of Barta?

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Carver isn't the problem, and never has been. The problem is the current mix of people that go to games there. They make it boring as hell and such that I don't even really like to go to games there. I feel out of place when I get excited and clap and cheer and stand up, because often I'm about the only person doing it. Back in the day, before the current set of season ticket holders took over, it was loud and very raucous in there. Nothing about the building has changed, the only thing that has changed are the people that are attending the games.
You are talking about old folk, right?

For the most part CHA isn't the problem, but it would be nice to find a way to trap the sound of the crowd and amplify it a bit. Teams feed off that energy when it happens. Sure, I'd like to see the students closer to the action and more of a home court factor, but most of the time they are no-shows, even during the conference season.

My seats are in an area that is largely season ticket holders and most of the fans surrounding me are timid at best during the game. It makes me a bit self aware when I'm screaming at the refs and the opponents or just trying to raise the roof a bit to give the team a little boost. I get awkward looks and an occasional "sit down" yelled at me. I don't care any more though, I'm going to cheer, yell and occasionally curse when I'm at Carver. The sticks in the mud can suck it if they don't like it. I've been going to Iowa BB games since 1981 and I'm not going to start acting like a passive, genteel observer now.

I'm all for having beer available @ CHA, that should help the sound issue a bit.
I have actually spoken to engineers about this. A design flaw. The acoustics create an overflow onto the upper concourse. They say Kinnick is the exact opposite. And even more intensified after the renovation of the north end zone. Decibel meters running at 114 last year during the Iowa St game. That is hellishly loud! I think the record during a rock concert is Motörhead at 130, then The Who at 120. And with the new display board, Kinnick will create probably, the highest decibel environment to play in. I’m too young, but from what I have heard, the field house had that. Back when Iowa had a top 20 program. And was known as a basketball school. Comments?

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Carver isn't the problem, and never has been. The problem is the current mix of people that go to games there. They make it boring as hell and such that I don't even really like to go to games there. I feel out of place when I get excited and clap and cheer and stand up, because often I'm about the only person doing it. Back in the day, before the current set of season ticket holders took over, it was loud and very raucous in there. Nothing about the building has changed, the only thing that has changed are the people that are attending the games.

Yep.

I bet the majority of people bitching in this thread do not have season tickets and did not contribute to the original or follow up arena fundraising campaigns. And I bet they would sit on their butts if there was a new campaign to build or remodel the arena. they want others to build it so they can have fun.

You’ve got it exactly backwards.

It is not the responsibility of everyday people to prop up the Iowa Basketball program and improve it. That responsibility belongs solely to those currently being paid handsomely to fulfill that very job description. It is their responsibility to create a product that everyday people want to buy and support.

To suggest that there’s something wrong with people if they don’t feel compelled to spend their money on crappy products is plain silly.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
You’ve got it exactly backwards.

It is not the responsibility of everyday people to prop up the Iowa Basketball program and improve it. That responsibility belongs solely to those currently being paid handsomely to fulfill that very job description. It is their responsibility to create a product that everyday people want to buy and support.

To suggest that there’s something wrong with people if they don’t feel compelled to spend their money on crappy products is plain silly.

I conquer!!

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Yes they could. It would wipe out a lot of seats, in several rows. But it would be worth it!

On the north and northwest side of the arena(behind the bench and the around the tunnel) they could bring the infrastructure under the seating(which would be removed).

Build 2 bigger sections, and 2 smaller sections, with standing room areas, restrooms and concessions. And a narrow aisle around the arena, Using rows 20-24...

Since the media has shank in nunbers, and the area takes up a ton of space, relocate that. Have part of that area be one of the larger concessions areas. Sections BB & CC. Have the other larger section be in part of L & M. With two smaller ones in sections D & JJ... Those two would be just for restrooms and beverages.

Seating would be re-added above the concession areas. Or have that be table seating, with standing room and TVs. And more beer.

The convenience of just a few toilets 30+ rows closer.... Aahh.. It makes my bladder feel relieved just thinking about it!!! LoL

It can be done. And it would make the place much more conforming to modern arenas... Which should have been done originally, if the powers that be just used their heads.

By far, the winner. Are you a friend of Barta?

No sir. If I were, and had some serious coin, I would happen!

Eliminating 5 rows, plus the additional alterations in seating around the mezzanine & above the concession areas would drop about 1,300 to 2,200 seats. So, we would be at 14,200 or down to 13,300. Or 600 more seats than the average attendance last year.

Making the arena more fan friendly(which they should have done in 1983!!!), would make it more inviting.... YES, having a better product on the floor would help. But we had a good team last year and only averaged 12,730... 2015 we averaged 13,285. And nationwide trends are dropping.

A mezzanine would kicka$$. Barta should fund a study to see what it would cost. Why not!?!

That noted, the biggest boost to making Carver more exciting would be putting "first come, first served" students(the most avid & rabid student fans) on the floor. Whoever gets there first, gets the best seats... They will be loud & add more energy on the floor, where it NEEDS to be...
A couple of sections behind the visitors bench. And a couple of sections across from the Hawkeye bench would do the trick!
Then have general admission next to and above the students. GA fans are much more into the games than the blue hairs.

WTH Barta, nor Bowlsby, have never tried this, even ONCE, is baffling.

Last edited:
I hate to be the editor, but I couldn't resist. ;)

Iowa has an attendance problem, but I don't think you can blame the building. Rabid students and fans aren't going to the games - do you really think it's because of the building?
yes--ask the students, it is hard to get there and get back to downtown after the game, fans begin too far from the court.
--can and does it get loud, yes, but to get the students back it is going to take a closer to where they live venue that is easier to get to and from.

yes--ask the students, it is hard to get there and get back to downtown after the game, fans begin too far from the court.
--can and does it get loud, yes, but to get the students back it is going to take a closer to where they live venue that is easier to get to and from.

There are lots of reasons to not want to go to the games - it's winter and it's dark & cold, they can watch on TV or at a bar with their buddies, the games are no fun - too far away is an easy excuse. You can ride a Cambus to the front door. Thousands of students go to Kinnick because it's fun and cool to go to football games and it's a long haul for a lot of students.

They simply do not want to go - not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm not one of those that feel that somehow students should feel "obligated" to go. If it was a great time, I guarantee you getting to the arena would not be a problem. Right now, and for the last 20 years, Iowa BB has not been that much fun. I went to the games at the Fieldhouse, because they weren't on TV. Today, I would go to a bar with friends.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
We are ranked #12 in basketball facilities in the B1G. There is only 2 facilities in b-ball; the arena & the indoor practice facility. Our indoor facility was built within the last 10 years and is decent so that leaves only CHA that makes up ranking 12th of 14 teams. What does that say to our recruits and future coaches if that’s what outside opinions think?

It’s fine to say ‘we don’t want to raise the money’ but it also means we can’t have lofty expectations either. That’s just the reality.

It would be nice to know what coaches were voting on...I imagine the practice facility means very little to opposing coaches, but the visitor locker room and facilities would be very important.

Reactions: And1Hawk
It needs more aisles that are wider!!

Really? A big issue with the facility is that you have all the aisles that run all the way down to the floor, this causes each section to only have 6 or 7 seats as it gets down to courtside. Also, the circular design is just so 70's/80's cookie-cutter ballpark, they all got torn down. Having a rectangular court doesn't require a round building.

The 1983 issue was designing it as a multi purpose venue. Poor basketball acoustics but good for concerts. Changes are needed

Should award seating preferences to those that attend the most games. Every game 1/4 th of the pricey ticket seats are empty

Should award seating preferences to those that attend the most games. Every game 1/4 th of the pricey ticket seats are empty

Give the students the opportunity to be on the floor. Have multiple sections. One behind the visitor's bench. One across from the Iowa bench.

First-come, first-serve. The students that are overly eager to be there get the best seats. Put some general admission fans next to them.

These are the younger and/or more diehard fans that would bring the energy.

This has Never been tried at Iowa. Why not give it a go??? Looks pretty dang cool at the arenas that do this!! Does it not??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT