ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane season has arrived right on time....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
As Memorial Day travel will near pre-pandemic levels with AAA predicting 42.3 million travelers this year, there could be some trouble brewing in the tropics. Americans may not only have to dodge downpours and deal with rough surf but also remain aware of the risk of tropical development along the United States' southern Atlantic coast, AccuWeather meteorologists warn.

There are two areas that forecasters will be closely monitoring for potential tropical development during the last week or so of May.

However, AccuWeather's team of long-range meteorologists and tropical experts have been warning since late March that conditions could become favorable for development ahead of the official start of the 2023 Atlantic hurricane season, which begins on June 1.

"During the next several weeks, very warm water will be in place off the southeast Atlantic coast of the U.S., in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea," AccuWeather Hurricane Expert Dan Kottlowski said. "These are natural areas where a front can drop in or a storm in the upper part of the atmosphere can take advantage of the warm water and slowly lead to tropical development."

TrepDevelLateMayChan22May-1.jpg

Clock ticking for system east of Bahamas

The first area of concern is a broad area of tropical moisture situated just east of the Bahamas. Downpours have been leading to localized flooding in Puerto Rico and Bermuda in recent days. This feature could develop a circulation through the middle of this week.

The problem with this system is the lack of low pressure in the mid-levels of the atmosphere despite low pressure at the surface, Kottlowski explained. "It's a very shallow feature that is going to move northward into drier air and increasing wind shear."

Wind shear is the change in breezes at different heights of the atmosphere or across the sea surface. When the winds increase significantly or change abruptly, it can often be a deterrent for tropical development.

"You can get multiple areas of low pressure to develop at the surface, but in order to get a tropical system to develop, there needs to be some development in the vertical part of the atmosphere as well," Kottlowski said.

With this forecast path, the system east of the Bahamas and its direct impacts will remain east of the U.S., but it can enhance showers and thunderstorms near Bermuda this week.

Homebrew system bears watching late this week​

A second and primary zone of potential tropical development AccuWeather meteorologists have been focusing on is much closer to the U.S. shore, with the best chance of forming from Friday to Saturday.

Some data indicate that a cluster of thunderstorms will try to develop this week over the warm waters of the Gulf Stream right along the southern Atlantic coast. There is a narrow zone where surface water temperatures are near 80 degrees Fahrenheit. The critical minimum temperature for tropical development is 77-78 F.

WaterTempsThisWeekChan22May.jpg

The question is, will the system have enough time to develop before being hurled inland?

"It sometimes takes two to three days for a complex of thunderstorms to develop into a tropical system, and it looks like the setup will not allow the system to have enough time to do so," Kottlowski said.

Kottlowski pointed out that Tropical Storm Colin formed along the Southeast coast very quickly last year, but that was during the late summer when waters were warm through a deep layer and not just at the surface.

"Currently, Gulf Stream waters are warm enough off the Southeast coast but not through a deep layer of the ocean," Kottlowski said. "Waters were warm through a deep layer for Colin."

The first two names of tropical storms for the 2023 Atlantic hurricane season are Arlene and Bret. A recent analysis by the National Hurricane Center revealed that a tropical storm formed east of New England before moving inland in Atlantic Canada during January. Since this was not determined until well after the system formed, no name was ever assigned.

Bad beach days​

Regardless of tropical storm formation, an extended period of unsettled to stormy conditions will evolve along the southern Atlantic coast this week with the likelihood of cloudy and wet conditions farther north along the Eastern Seaboard for the Memorial Day weekend.

As a dip in the jet stream persists this week then amplifies into a storm high in the atmosphere, much of the Southeast will be uncommonly cool for late May, AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Joe Lundberg said.

StormThruWedChan22May.jpg

"Into Tuesday evening, the adverse weather will tend to focus on Georgia, northeastern Florida and part of South Carolina with downpours and maybe some gusty winds in any thunderstorm," Lundberg said. "The coast will become windy, with problems with high surf and coastal flooding."

By midweek, the inland areas of the Southeast will get somewhat of a respite with little rain, but the coast will likely remain stormy.

"On Thursday, Friday and Saturday, coastal areas from the Carolina beaches on south to northeastern and central Florida will likely become very unsettled with stiff winds, rough seas and surf and pockets of showers and thunderstorms," Lundberg said. "Some beach erosion and minor coastal flooding at times of high tide are likely."

If a system forms along the coast, tropical or not, conditions may become quite stormy with heavy rain, strong winds, severe thunderstorms, an isolated tornado or waterspout and moderate coastal flooding.

s jet stream energy feeds into the broad storm in the upper atmosphere over the Southeast, it could strengthen the system enough to allow rain and wind to spread into the mid-Atlantic region over the extended holiday weekend, Lundberg said.

"With the approach of Memorial Day weekend, many people normally head to the coast for a vacation with just some beach time or pleasure boating," Lundberg said. "However, this setup is likely to be bad for business as the weather may thwart many people's plans along much of the Atlantic coast."

Tropical or not, the rainy season in Florida has arrived for sure.....

Flew around that crap in and out of San Juan last night. Big nothing burger.

All times of year

I'll take winter in Central Florida over winter in just about any other location in North America. Only other parts of Florida or SoCal might have us beat. But I also like a little chill in the winter so I prefer it over south Florida.

Last edited:
I'll come down and spend a week at Trad Manor doing chores if there is a hurricane before Sept. 1.

If not, I get to spend a week at Trad manor and Trad is my butler/servant/chef for a week.

Deal?

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
I'll take winter in Central Florida over winter in just about any other location in North America. Only other parts of Florida might have us beat. But I also like a little chill in the winter so I prefer it over south Florida.
I love Midwest winter

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
DIdn't last long, but at Cape Coral we had hurricane-like winds and rain last night around midnight; rain was coming down sideways and the wind was howling, along with thunder and lightning, for about 15 minutes. Then, poof! it was gone. Came back around 3 a.m. for another round but without the rain, and it's still coming down here. We needed the rain though, so it's all good.

DIdn't last long, but at Cape Coral we had hurricane-like winds and rain last night around midnight; rain was coming down sideways and the wind was howling, along with thunder and lightning, for about 15 minutes. Then, poof! it was gone. Came back around 3 a.m. for another round but without the rain, and it's still coming down here. We needed the rain though, so it's all good.
I just read that the NWS confirmed a tornado touched down in Pine Island this morning at 11:10.

My wife and I, along with two granddaughters, are flying to Punta Gorda on July 10 and will end up in Marco for a week.

I hope you guys keep those tropical storms from causing problems.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT