ADVERTISEMENT

HWC practice 9/15

fufighters

HR MVP
Nov 13, 2009
Today's practice review:
Another great crowd lots of excitement.
Remember that the old coach might come out during this review.
First what a great room, guys giving no quarter. I believe if Iowa is to win a National title then our guys in the practice room will be a big reason why. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Im a firm believer in how you practice is a big indicator of how you preform.

This practice could easily be all about Louden Swain...sorry Austin Desanto.
From the very start, he was right to business. From the warmups and stretching... right to drills. There is a focus/drive I haven't seen for some time.
Would almost like to see him redshirt so TnT
Have more time with him. Hes got attitude and doesn't like to lose. He makes a mistake and you'll know it...the fire burns in him and he takes it personally. What passion!!
Today he and Murrin scrapped for almost 90 minutes. No water breaks/so much sweat on the mat they were almost ice skating.
But it didn't stop, just find a spot to scrap more. Many times coaches would come over and say a few words, he would digest it and then adjust. He reminds me a lot of the Brands as Freshmen...hes got a leadership type aura already. ENOUGH SAID!!!!
Big Cass, did not work out much, but did drill alot. First thing you notice is his size, hes a bear with a big infectious smile. Telford and Burak were doing a lot of teaching with him. Like to see Big Cass redshirt, wear a 20lb weight vest everywhere(to develop speed)and just work on technique and school. Hes got talent and you can see it. A year of sitting and stoke that fire and he may be a top 3 guy as a freshman. Develop more quickness and he could win it all.
Kemdog: worked out with Stickley and he looked big. But when he worked out with Sammy he was definitely smaller. I'd say his weight is probably 182 tops. BOWMAN looked bigger than kem also.
His speed against Sammy was impressive, he was quick/fluid and at times powerful. His ability to score was a highlight. I see an attacking 174lber.
LUGO: didn't really see much from him and he seamed like he just couldn't get loose. His matches were average and don't know if he was injured or not. When Desanto and Murrin are brawling next to you it can tend to make it look like nothing is going on.
Spencer Lee..when you're that good it's almost like watching a kid in a play ground. He was wrestling against Clark and just looked like everything he did was effortless.
Cory at times seamed very frustrated. How Spencer got out of some of Cory's attacks, amazed me(and Cory)...He is way beyond where TNT were as freshmen. Although his mom was there and I would have liked to see how that match would have gone.
Marinelli: not a lot to say...just same brace/same pace and crowds your space. Hes a bull and wrestles like Metcalf. Don't know if the brace is long term precaution, but it does seam to limit him on his attacks.
Morningstar...he does it all and you can see h ou w much respect he has not only from the coaching staff, but from the wrestlers. There's a great chemistry between our coaches and you can see it, egos were left at the door and the bonds are pretty strong..a very fluid looking team.

Finally Caleb Young Warner Stoll were non participants. Warner did say he was leaving Monday for worlds.
Would highly recommend going if you have the chance.

Last edited:
There was two additional observations that should be noted. One its clear that Iowa wrestling should have and needs it's own stand alone facility! The program has earned it and if they can build a bubble house for football, they can certainly build a new facility for the wrestling program!
Second if you get a chance check out the framed shirt next to the exit when leaving.
It's a tribute to
Jeff Nichols former Navy Seal.
Seal team 5 and 6...Oct 2002 thru Oct 2013.
A shirt worn on most combat missions and 12 deployments spanning hundreds of missions.
His quote..." if I was going to die I was going to die wearing the black and gold of Iowa wrestling "
It's a great tribute and a fantastic story of how important Iowa wrestling is. Hey Flo you want a story...try that one!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT