ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical Bowl Destination?

TheEnigma80

HR All-State
Sep 25, 2009
Lets say the Hawks run the table (including an upset in the BCCG), what is the ceiling for where they can end up?

I know that the Rose Bowl is off the table due to it being a Playoff Semifinal, so would it be one of the New Years 6, and if so, where do we think they'd end up?

Again, all hypothetical, take it 1 game at a time, focus on Illinois yadda yadda yadda, but since we're the fans and not the players we can actually do this and discuss it :)

I'll hang up and listen.

Go Hawks!

Since we're playing make-believe, I'll give it a shot:

NY6 Bowl
Can't be the Orange Bowl (B1G Champ can't play there in non-semi-final years) - would be ACC vs. Ohio St/Michigan.
My guess is that Peach Bowl will be SEC team vs. Tulane
My guess is that Cotton Bowl will be Big 12 champ vs. Washington/Oregon or SEC team.
So, in this hypothetical world, I would predict Iowa in Fiesta vs. Washington/Oregon or SEC team.

NY6 Bowl
Can't be the Orange Bowl (B1G Champ can't play there in non-semi-final years) - would be ACC vs. Ohio St/Michigan.
My guess is that Cotton Bowl will be Big 12 champ vs. Washington/Oregon or SEC team.
So, in this hypothetical world, I would predict Iowa in Fiesta vs. Washington/Oregon or SEC team.
Would love that scenario, give us a tune-up before they join the conference next year (which is still insane to say)

NY6 Bowl
A two loss Alabama if they lose the SEC championship game?

Hawks make it to the B1G regardless of record and lose = Citrus (even if they lose both and get blown out, still Citrus because there is nobody else to choose)
Hawks win next 2, go to B1G and plays a close game but loses and PSU loses one = NY6
Hawks win next 2, go to B1G and plays a really tight game, shows well, PSU wins the rest = outside shot at NY6, probably Citrus
Hawks go to B1G and wins = NY6
Hawks lose both and don't go to B1G = Vegas

Hope that PSU shits the bed against Rutgers or MSU and obviously Hawks win next 2.

On a sidenote, as much as it still infuriates me about Cooper's return against Minnesota, it will more than likely have no bearing on the bowl outcome. Even if Iowa won that game, wins their next 2 and predictably gets beat in the B1G, PSU would probably still go to the NY6 based on the head-to-head. I doubt the CFP board would put Iowa in front of PSU in the standings. Where it would matter is if Iowa wins the B1G, because at 11-1 and beating a #1 team they would probably be in the CFP, but not with 2 losses.

NY6 Bowl
Yes and yes this would be perfect ...

This morning a prediction was made that sounds good:

Iowa will play Ole Miss in the Citrus Bowl on Jan. 1, 2024.
This will be in Orlando at 1pm on ABC TV. (Big Ten Vs SEC)

Reactions: soybean
This morning a prediction was made that sounds good:

Iowa will play Ole Miss in the Citrus Bowl on Jan. 1, 2024.
This will be in Orlando at 1pm on ABC TV. (Big Ten Vs SEC)
Ole Miss - 16th ranked Offense and 58th ranked Defense. Only losses to GA and AL, this would be interesting if we had a remotely competent offense.

Reactions: NI hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT