ADVERTISEMENT

I’m starting to be optimistic for next season. Am I setting myself up for disappointment?

Walt White

Scout Team
Dec 27, 2022
Assuming there isn’t a slew of injuries, will this not be the most talent on an Iowa team since…2009? 2002?

I guess it will depend on the growth/improvement of the OL. But if that unit can gel and be respectable, here are some of the pieces Iowa has to work with next year:

Offense: McNamara, All, Lachey, Kaleb Johnson

Defense: Shannon, Lee, X, DeJean, Higgins, Jackson

I’ve left out some really good players, but those are the guys who I believe can or who already have made all-conference honors.

So, is this team good enough to have one of those special KF seasons that lands Iowa in the top ten at the end of the year?

It's a solid squad and I do think we will probably have a good year.

My biggest reservation is the offensive line. Something broken about that unit. We have to improve there. If we actually do, I do think one of those really special seasons is in play.

In fact I'll go ahead and call a 10 win season next year.

But I don't think the offense is capable of making the strides necessary to win the Big Ten and make the playoff. Which is a shame, because that could genuinely be within reach if we were more concerned about fielding a good offense than employing family.

Because of the portal additions, I’ll be optimistic going into the season as usual. However, The fact that KF thinks there are not enough chronic issues with the offensive side of the ball that any coach should be relieved of his duties, when most programs would have cleaned house, shows his lack of desire to actually win games, which just makes it so hard.

My biggest reservation is the offensive line. Something broken about that unit. We have to improve there. If we actually do, I do think one of those really special seasons is in play.

But I don't think the offense is capable of making the strides necessary to win the Big Ten and make the playoff. Which is a shame, because that could genuinely be within reach if we were more concerned about fielding a good offense than employing family.
I agree. This optimism all hinges on vastly improved OL play.

I think we'll win 9 or 10 games next season and the division. We have improved every area of weakness on offense by adding better players. A much much much better QB, a better WR, another outstanding TE, a better RT and probably a better C.

The defense and special teams will be good, because they always are and a ton of talent returns. Picking up that Virginia LB certainly helps overcome the loss of the best player on the team. Return a great punter and a good kicker.

A much easier schedule.

To put the Hawks in a more realistic lens, 1 score against the clowns and 1 score against the Cheatin' Illini and Iowa gets to 10 wins with the worse offense in the country.

my optimistic hope is that even if the OL is merely average, brian will deliver the goods IF the qb is slightly above average. similarly if the OL turns out to be above average, i think brian can make do with a average qb.

And if the D is indeed lights out, we'll be more than merely competitive. If they make the ccg and show up for that game, win or lose, i'll take it. for instance, the 2015 ccg loss still grates but nobody thinks that was a horrible loss.

all that said, if BF hits the 25ppg target AND Iowa manages a decent W-L record, will it be indicative that he has turned the corner and can be an effective OC?

Assuming there isn’t a slew of injuries, will this not be the most talent on an Iowa team since…2009? 2002?

I guess it will depend on the growth/improvement of the OL. But if that unit can gel and be respectable, here are some of the pieces Iowa has to work with next year:

I’ve left out some really good players, but those are the guys who I believe can or who already have made all-conference honors.

So, is this team good enough to have one of those special KF seasons that lands Iowa in the top ten at the end of the year?
I would like to see Iowa have an average offense. Score some points,give the defense a rest with some ball control and make some first downs late to seal a few victories. It does not have to be some wild eyed explosive offense.

It would make a difference.

Hard to say ... usually I'm on the optimistic side.

It's VERY rare during the Ferentz era for a single position group (with possibly the exception of the WR corps) to be a problem-area multiple years running.

The fact that the OL-play was subpar in BOTH '21 and '22 is a glaring area of concern. As I often write about, there is certainly context to the situation which helps to explain WHY the play was subpar. However, given that the play was a concern 2 years in a row ... there is no guarantee that the play will be better. Whether the play is better is entirely up to the players to fix (and the coaches to facilitate them getting there). The fact that opposing coaches were suggesting that our OL was "soft" adds to the concern about whether or not the players have the pride and the "edge" necessary to fix the problems.

Of course, given that Kirk is there to observe all the work being done with the OL ... you gotta figure that the right things are being done on the level of coaching. Heck, Morgan still hangs around fort Kinnick ... and can give pointers if the need arises. Thus, there are no lack of resources available to the players or Coach Barnett to be successful (on the OL).

What will be interesting and/or odd to observe is that the B1G west is getting quite a "facelift" heading into the '23 season.

Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Purdue have all-new coaching staffs

Illinois will AT LEAST be featuring a new DC.

Both Northwestern and Minnesota had shake-ups in their respective coaching staffs too.

With all of this potential "newness" ... how will this impact the weekly preps for those teams?

With a new DC ... will the Illini's D continue to be elite? ... or will they take a step backward?

What impact will portal players have? Who will benefit from the '21 Mel Tucker effect ... where the portal players made a large and positive impact? Who will get hit by the the '22 Scott Frost effect ... where all the mercenaries didn't help the team get over the hump?

Because of the portal additions, I’ll be optimistic going into the season as usual. However, The fact that KF thinks there are not enough chronic issues with the offensive side of the ball that any coach should be relieved of his duties, when most programs would have cleaned house, shows his lack of desire to actually win games, which just makes it so hard.
I’m frustrated with the whole Brian Ferentz special education plan too, but to suggest Kirk lacks desire to win games is ridiculous.

You would think especially with the schedule next year. But who knows what the other BIG teams will be like. Haven't paid much attention to their losses. But with the portal everyone has a chance to reload. Glad we don't see OSU or Michigan.

my optimistic hope is that even if the OL is merely average, brian will deliver the goods IF the qb is slightly above average. similarly if the OL turns out to be above average, i think brian can make do with a average qb.

And if the D is indeed lights out, we'll be more than merely competitive. If they make the ccg and show up for that game, win or lose, i'll take it. for instance, the 2015 ccg loss still grates but nobody thinks that was a horrible loss.

all that said, if BF hits the 25ppg target AND Iowa manages a decent W-L record, will it be indicative that he has turned the corner and can be an effective OC?
I don’t think Brian is a good OC, but he was dealt a pretty shitty hand last season. Yes, I get he is also responsible for recruiting and developing players, but Andy Reid would have sucked with that personnel last season.

I’m frustrated with the whole Brian Ferentz special education plan too, but to suggest Kirk lacks desire to win games is ridiculous.
No way anyone could convince me that KF has a stronger desire to win football games than to employ and protect Tommy Boy. All evidence suggests otherwise. All enabled by rat-toothed GB.

I think we go 12-0. In the B1G, I like the matchup with Michigan much better than OSU because I never like the matchups of elite WR's (Harrison, Egbuka and Fleming are big time problems) against PP's defenses.

Why? I don't see anyone else in the west, on paper, that is going to get better. Our non-conference is not challenging. We have good matchups against the east, although we do go to PSU. But, it is early and PSU will be breaking in a lot of new players. It is always hard to play on the road, but, I like they poise of Cade and I think he will slide right in with little growing pains. I just think he will make everything better, from the play calling, offensive line, receiver play and the running game. Not that I am saying Cade is the second coming, just that what he can do is a perfect fit for what this offense needs.

How I think we will win is that we will continue to make things very difficult for opposing teams with our defense and will be at the top again with respect to scoring D. But on offense, I think we will move the ball much more effectively and will score on a much greater percentage of possessions. I think we will just lean on these teams and suffocate them over the course of the game.

Yeah don’t get it!
No way anyone could convince me that KF has a stronger desire to win football games than to employ and protect Tommy Boy. All evidence suggests otherwise. All enabled by rat-toothed GB.

That’s because he has been so successful, you likely think it’s been so easy he is Half-assing it now and winning just enough to piss you off!

Think what you want, I agree he has a blind spot there, but he wants to win bad..possibly more than ever. He only has about 5 years!

Offensive Line needs to make big strides. This is what Kirk, Brian and Barnett need to hyper focus on. They were terrible last year

Think what you want, I agree he has a blind spot there, but he wants to win bad..possibly more than ever. He only has about 5 years!
Yep, I was right - you couldn’t convince me.

Thanks for giving permission to think what I want, though.

5 years?!?! Good God, I hope not.

Reactions: Hawkatheart
Yep, I was right - you couldn’t convince me.

Thanks for giving permission to think what I want, though.

5 years?!?! Good God, I hope not.

It doesn’t have anything to do with permission, you should think what you want.

It doesn’t however lend it anymore merit than more logical conclusions!

Reactions: kceasthawk

Kirk and Barta both knew this so that's why the parameters were set "SO HIGH". Brian is here for the next 3 years..

Reactions: not_mantiteo

Hell NO - banner year at the Bender household

Over the years I have had the urge to write up cheap shots like the last sentence. In my 80 plus years on this earth, I learned when the cheap shot urge hits you, write or type it (it makes you feel satisfied), sit on it for a while, then delete or throw it away.

Reactions: desihawk and F5n5
To be effective with this offense, the OL needs to be GOOD, not just acceptable.

Here's my scale -

Awesome!
Dam good
Good
Meh
Crappy

If the OL can figure out how to block the opponent instead of "air", this can be a pretty good team.

Over the years I have had the urge to write up cheap shots like the last sentence. In my 80 plus years on this earth, I learned when the cheap shot urge hits you, write or type it (it makes you feel satisfied), sit on it for a while, then delete or throw it away.
F your feelings, old man. Heading into year 7 of the Brian as OC disaster that KF 100pct created it's not a cheap shot. It's a simple observation KF has earned. You seem to struggle with accountability just like the head fat cat. It's OK.

It doesn’t have anything to do with permission, you should think what you want.

It doesn’t however lend it anymore merit than more logical conclusions!
I know you don't like what I post, but my assessments and observations are pretty darn accurate, not having any less "merit" than your unicorns and rainbows point of view. You've postedly absolutely nothing to refute my point that KF has abused his position to the point that BF's welfare is more important to him now than the actual success (i.e. winning games) of the program.

Reactions: DewHawk
F your feelings, old man. Heading into year 7 of the Brian as OC disaster that KF 100pct created it's not a cheap shot. It's a simple observation KF has earned. You seem to struggle with accountability just like the head fat cat. It's OK.
dont be a punk. “f your feelings old man”, not an Appropriate response to what he posted.

I know you don't like what I post, but my assessments and observations are pretty darn accurate, not having any less "merit" than your unicorns and rainbows point of view. You've postedly absolutely nothing to refute my point that KF has abused his position to the point that BF's welfare is more important to him now than the actual success (i.e. winning games) of the program.

You’re definitely in the minority and I’ll leave it there! And with that said while KF has been supposedly taking care of “junior” we have the 16th best winning percentage in the nation… I guess he’s a good multitasker!

You’re definitely in the minority and I’ll leave it there! And with that said while KF has been supposedly taking care of “junior” we have the 16th best winning percentage in the nation… I guess he’s a good multitasker!
You may want to edit your post. Iowa hasn't been in the top 16 in winning % since 2015 when they were 5th.
Following that it was
44th
37th
26th
22nd
19th
26th
40th

Wins perhaps?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT