ADVERTISEMENT

I found this interesting

Sharky1203

HB All-American
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2023

George Soros Fund Acquires $400 Million Stake in 227 US Radio Stations Ahead of 2024 Election​

Billionaire hedge fund manager George Soros has recently found himself at the center of controversy due to his move to become a controlling shareholder in the second-largest owner of radio stations in the United States. This development has raised concerns, particularly in the lead-up to the 2024 election.

Soros has a history of investing in media brands, and his recent acquisition of a substantial stake in Vice Media Group has drawn attention. Last year, Soros capitalized on Vice’s financial struggles by purchasing a stake in the company for a fraction of its previous value following its bankruptcy in 2023. This deal valued Vice at approximately $350 million, with Soros securing an undisclosed ownership interest.

Audacy, the second-largest radio broadcaster in the U.S. after iHeartMedia, recently filed for bankruptcy. With ownership of 227 major radio stations across 27 states and 45 cities nationwide, Audacy holds a significant presence in key markets such as New York, Denver, Washington D.C., and many others. Soros reportedly acquired around 40% of Audacy’s debt, which, while not constituting a majority stake, grants him considerable influence over the company’s affairs. This move has prompted speculation that Soros’s fund could effectively control Audacy, raising concerns about the potential implications, especially in light of the upcoming election.

Critics have voiced apprehensions regarding Soros’s political affiliations and his history of supporting left-leaning politicians. Soros is renowned for his advocacy and substantial financial contributions to political causes, having donated over $140 million to political campaigns in 2021 and $170 million to the 2022 mid-term elections. Given his significant stake in Audacy, concerns have been raised about the potential influence Soros could exert through the media landscape, particularly with regard to shaping public opinion and influencing electoral outcomes.

As Soros’s involvement in Audacy continues to unfold, observers remain vigilant about the implications for media ownership and political discourse in the United States, especially in the lead-up to the highly anticipated 2024 election.

The influence of George Soros on the U.S. political system has long been a subject of speculation and concern, with some fearing that his recent acquisition could be utilized as a campaign tool or to sway outcomes in the upcoming 2024 election. The transaction has raised eyebrows, with one conservative voice close to the deal describing it as “scary,” according to The New York Post.

While multiple entities are involved in the transaction, it remains unclear who will ultimately wield effective control over the radio stations or whether there will be a noticeable impact on their operations. Soros, known for his extensive business dealings and acquisitions totaling hundreds of billions of dollars, typically aims to generate returns on investment for his stakeholders.

There are precedents of media brands maintaining journalistic integrity despite being owned by interested parties. For instance, Jeff Bezos, the Founder of Amazon.com Inc., acquired The Washington Post in 2013 when it was struggling. Despite being owned by Bezos, The Washington Post has continued to operate independently and has even criticized its billionaire owner on occasion.

As the implications of Soros’s acquisition for radio stations across the U.S. and the 2024 election remain uncertain, it is expected that the move will continue to spark speculation and controversy leading up to the November election. While it remains to be seen how this development will unfold, it is likely to remain a topic of intense scrutiny in the months to come.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...S&cvid=fd43cd1c13184d9ea98a1907658829a1&ei=10

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: Scruddy and Torg
I will never forget traveling in Florida and trying to get a left leaning talk station on the radio. Every where I went in the state I could easily 3 or 4 different stations with far right leaning talk shows on.

Just trying to even out the playing field a little bit. It will still be nowhere close to the right saturation of radio stations.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
Hope this doesn’t impact my monthly paycheck for GIAOT posting.

I will never forget traveling in Florida and trying to get a left leaning talk station on the radio. Every where I went in the state I could easily 3 or 4 different stations with far right leaning talk shows on.

Just trying to even out the playing field a little bit. It will still be nowhere close to the right saturation of radio stations.
I agree. I don't think this is the new Citizen Kane.

Waiting for your outrage on the network TV imbalance.

You're welcome.

Find NPR Everywhere​

Your news source is this:

"Sinclair Broadcast Group, the right-wing media behemoth swallowing up local news stations and spitting them out as zombie GOP propaganda mills, is ramping up pro-Trump content in the lead-up to the 2024 election. Its latest plot? A coordinated effort across at least 86 local news websites to suggest that Joe Biden is mentally unfit for the presidency, based on edited footage and misinformation."

And you wonder why I call you a histrionic bitch......

Pee is Q, Q is Pee. You are exactly what you claim to hate chis.

Ah, good old @Sharky1203 - haven't seen him in a minute since he talked about how he was in a bad ass biker gang and wanted to meet up with some HORTers. I miss him.
Still here. Just don't need to say much. Too many idiots with big mouths for me to want to say much.

Still here. Just don't need to say much. Too many idiots with big mouths for me to want to say much.
images

Reactions: Sharky1203
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT