ADVERTISEMENT

I have a question about the woke term, "Latinx"...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
I get that liberals want to ensure no one suffers the indignity of being misgendered, but is there something wrong with the term, "Hispanic"?

Why the need to come up with a non-binary term for Latinos/Latinas? One already existed.

I get that liberals want to ensure no one suffers the indignity of being misgendered, but is there something wrong with the term, "Hispanic"?

Why the need to come up with a non-binary term for Latinos/Latinas? One already existed.
They are different. Hispanic relates or identifies a person from a spanish speaking nation and a connection with the Iberian Peninsula. Latino/a is relates or identifies a person from Latin countries - regardless of the language spoke - and would include indigenous peoples who cannot trace a spanish lineage (i.e., not mestizos). For example, you would not call someone from Brazil hispanic but you would call them latin

I always wonder, why do we call used cars pre-owned? Huh.

Reactions: TC Nole OX

Liberals shouldn't use the term Latinx because every poll shows that the vast majority of Latin people not only don't use the term but don't even like the term.

If you are using a term for people that group finds insulting. . . you are bordering on hate speech.

outside of a few folks on here and few authors using it... never heard or seen it in the wild. seems like another boogeyman.

Yes - which is not Spanish, which is what Hispanic refers to. It does not extend to the entire Iberian peninsula. Also, if you want to argue with the people in Brazil who have corrected me on this I will ask them if they are interested in chatting.

Why would you call someone who speaks Portuguese a "Hispanic"?

Furthermore, I wouldn't consider South America to be part of Latin America.

This sounds like a "YOU" problem....

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
I’m 25% Mexican. My Dad 50%. My Grandmother is 100%. No one in my family identifies as anything other than Mexican or Caucasian in my 52 year lifetime. I’ve never checked the “Mexican” “Hispanic” or “Latino” box on anything.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Liberals shouldn't use the term Latinx because every poll shows that the vast majority of Latin people not only don't use the term but don't even like the term.

If you are using a term for people that group finds insulting. . . you are bordering on hate speech.
Most are just happy that most Americans have stopped calling every brown skinned person a Mexican and recognize there are different countries and cultures.

I’m 25% Mexican. My Dad 50%. My Grandmother is 100%. No one in my family identifies as anything other than Mexican or Caucasian in my 52 year lifetime. I’ve never checked the “Mexican” “Hispanic” or “Latino” box on anything.
Season 10 Story GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Why not?

Why would you call someone who speaks Portuguese a "Hispanic"?

Furthermore, I wouldn't consider South America to be part of Latin America.

This sounds like a "YOU" problem....
You wouldn't call someone who speaks Portuguese Hispanic, but you would call them Latin.

I wouldn't consider South America to be part of Latin America.
I can't help you there. You should have taken geography during your time as FSU. The Latin in Latin America generally identifies countries that speak the romance languages and were predominately settled by roman catholics....as opposed to the Protestant-English/Dutch speaking colonies.

Reactions: BelemNole
You wouldn't call someone who speaks Portuguese Hispanic, but you would call them Latin.

I can't help you there. You should have taken geography during your time as FSU. The Latin in Latin America generally identifies countries that speak the romance languages and were predominately settled by roman catholics....as opposed to the Protestant-English/Dutch speaking colonies.
So islands in the Caribbean that were settled by the Dutch are not considered Latin?

So islands in the Caribbean that were settled by the Dutch are not considered Latin?
In the truest sense of the word, correct. You would exclude the ABC islands, Belize, etc. However, there is a broader (better word)--but still accepted-definition which includes all countries sough of the US.

Fijimn nails it. There is actually a difference and as someone who manages a team in Latin America with a HUGE presence in Brazil - do not call a Brazilian Hispanic!

Maybe that's why I got death threats for saying Kate Middleton got a Hispanic Butt Lift.

I heard a speaker one time saying that Hispanic is a made up word and shouldn't be used either.

Most are just happy that most Americans have stopped calling every brown skinned person a Mexican and recognize there are different countries and cultures.
How do you know this? Do you go around asking brown skinned people this question?

How do you know this? Do you go around asking brown skinned people this question?
Yes; but I don't "go around" asking brown skinned people...we merely laugh about it at my family parrillada or crawfish boil--where my Peruvian, Colombian, Argentinian and El Salvadoran friends intermix with my Mexican family.

Yes; but I don't "go around" asking brown skinned people...we merely laugh about it at my family parrillada or crawfish boil--where my Peruvian, Colombian, Argentinian and El Salvadoran friends intermix with my Mexican family.
I guess I don’t wonder or worry about someone’s nationality, nor is it a subject of conversation often. If someone has a heavy foreign accent, I might ask where they are from out of curiosity and to spur conversation. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a brown skinned person and assumed Mexican. Or ever vocalized it. Just seems weird that people would do that in any normal situation.

I’ve had people ask if I’m Indian. Never bothered me.

I guess I don’t wonder or worry about someone’s nationality, nor is it a subject of conversation often. If someone has a heavy foreign accent, I might ask where they are from out of curiosity and to spur conversation. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a brown skinned person and assumed Mexican. Or ever vocalized it. Just seems weird that people would do that in any normal situation.

I’ve had people ask if I’m Indian. Never bothered me.
Do you and/or your family speak Spanish?

No particular reason. I was just curious why you don't acknowledge your hispanic heritage. I am not suggesting that is wrong....just was curious because we are the opposite.
I do acknowledge it. I just never seek any additional benefits from it. My Mother was 100% Danish. I’m more Danish than Mexican. But I don’t really care. I’m an American with a mixed background.

Do you and/or your family speak Spanish?
I do not. A few within my family can, but growing up in small town Iowa, everyone spoke English. Speaking Spanish was not an option. My Grandmother and Great Grandmother spoke both Spanish and English.

They are different. Hispanic relates or identifies a person from a spanish speaking nation and a connection with the Iberian Peninsula. Latino/a is relates or identifies a person from Latin countries - regardless of the language spoke - and would include indigenous peoples who cannot trace a spanish lineage (i.e., not mestizos). For example, you would not call someone from Brazil hispanic but you would call them latin
Actually you might call them Hispanics if they have Portuguese descendants.

Ironically, imposing “Latinx” on a community that doesn’t want or need such a word is a form of linguistic imperialism.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
I do not. A few within my family can, but growing up in small town Iowa, everyone spoke English. Speaking Spanish was not an option. My Grandmother and Great Grandmother spoke both Spanish and English.
Have you ever asked your Grandmother about how she crossed the border. It would be interesting to learn how a Mexican immigrated to Iowa around (what I assume was the turn of the century). As you probably are aware, there was a free flow of Mexican labor until the early 1970s. She must have fallen in love in stayed rather than returning to Mexico at the end of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT