ADVERTISEMENT

I have never felt worse about the Iowa Athletic Programs

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
Anyone else just fatigued? Maybe it's the 2 long time coaches.

At least the women hoopers win. Makes the men look even worse lol.

Reactions: Hawk_82
Fran fatigue will do that to a guy then throw in some Brian Ferentz kick ass offense for a nice cherry topping. Just watch Clark and the women that will bring your spirits up

Somehow I just became amused with how bad BF is at OC. He is just one montage away from taking it to the next level. A story about how a kid of a football coach managed to overcome adversity and become a coach for his father and is then forced to face more adversity because of lawsuits and being not great at being an OC. Will he master offensive coordinating and win Iowa the sports championship? Only time will tell.

Somehow I just became amused with how bad BF is at OC. He is just one montage away from taking it to the next level. A story about how a kid of a football coach managed to overcome adversity and become a coach for his father and is then forced to face more adversity because of lawsuits and being not great at being an OC. Will he master offensive coordinating and win Iowa the sports championship? Only time will tell.
Brian just needs to hold out until the whole world can be flashed by a massive Men In Black style pen memory eraser. Prob his best case scenario right now.

Why does that one guy's peen shrink then pop up like a boner? It's like he got pinned and his testicles and bean just gave up and said **** it, ima getta hard.

Reactions: millah_22
I had fun in the Commings era. We lost, but it was a more fun era.

NIL, portals, multi millionaire coaches, nepotism, etc. Yuck.
Your gripe is with all of college athletics then. And you’re not wrong in that regard. Still cheer for the Hawks like crazy but I couldn’t care less about recruits, transfers, or coaching changes.

Reactions: Lindemann
Your gripe is with all of college athletics then. And you’re not wrong in that regard. Still cheer for the Hawks like crazy but I couldn’t care less about recruits, transfers, or coaching changes.

I find myself cheering more for the Olympic sport athletes. If we had a men's soccer team I would be all in on that. The women compete.

You are right, it's not just Iowa.

But Barta and the lawsuits, Rhabdo, Doylegate, BF, etc..have worn me out.

Then Fran and his teams playing Fieldhouse defense in a system that is statistically proven to fail for 13 years has worn me out there.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Speaking of nepotism, Commings let his son play QB.
Nothing surpasses lil Lick.

2922b0fe-f7c3-11de-84ea-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg

IDK, it seems the majority of the fans are simply looking for something different in men's FB and BB. Yes, both are solid programs in terms of W/L. Yes, both have some serious flaws. No, it doesn't look like anything will change anytime soon.

Tom Davis was let go (contract not renewed) for basically the same reasons. Solid program, some flaws, rinse and repeat. Fans were bored and wanted a change. That particular decision didn't work out.

I'm not one to think either should be fired, but It's time for a change. But I do get why Barta and the U are staying the course.

• Sad
Reactions: Roodolf
IDK, it seems the majority of the fans are simply looking for something different in men's FB and BB. Yes, both are solid programs in terms of W/L. Yes, both have some serious flaws. No, it doesn't look like anything will change anytime soon.

Tom Davis was let go (contract not renewed) for basically the same reasons. Solid program, some flaws, rinse and repeat. Fans were bored and wanted a change. That particular decision didn't work out.

I'm not one to think either should be fired, but It's time for a change. But I do get why Barta and the U are staying the course.
I don't think that it is just because it things have gone stale. It is also because things happened to really become stale while the coaches in Football and Basketball have pushed their kids' interests at the same time. Arguably to the detriment of each program. I don't think any of us can argue that Brian hasn't been detrimental to football the past few seasons. And Pat and Connor have both played many minutes in many games over the past few seasons over players that they probably shouldn't have.

The Nepotism angle drives me the most nuts.

Also, the Field Hockey coach case. My God was that poorly handled. Its like administration 101 to handle something like that.

When I buy I ticket, I know some small portion is paying out settlements born of poor administrative performance.

The Nepotism angle drives me the most nuts.

Also, the Field Hockey coach case. My God was that poorly handled. Its like administration 101 to handle something like that.

When I buy I ticket, I know some small portion is paying out settlements born of poor administrative performance.
Then don’t buy a ticket brah. Pretty simple.

• Wow
Reactions: Ree4 and Roodolf

It can be so damaging to f*ck up a hire. We’ve seen it here, we’ve seen it so many other places. With Barta’s track record of never firing a white cis coach, if he f*cks it up I am not confident he could fix it.

• Sad
I don't think that it is just because it things have gone stale. It is also because things happened to really become stale while the coaches in Football and Basketball have pushed their kids' interests at the same time. Arguably to the detriment of each program. I don't think any of us can argue that Brian hasn't been detrimental to football the past few seasons. And Pat and Connor have both played many minutes in many games over the past few seasons over players that they probably shouldn't have.
I think that's a fair assessment.

Brian with the lawsuit and poor results on the field should have been enough to show him the door. I have said here many times that I think KF is doing a disservice to BF by keeping him, not favoritism. If the offense sucks again this year BF may need security guards at his house.

Sandford played about 21 minutes a game, but for season had the second highest "per 40 minutes" stats on the team. Bowen and Dix certainly could have been on the floor more as well.

I think that's a fair assessment.

Brian with the lawsuit and poor results on the field should have been enough to show him the door. I have said here many times that I think KF is doing a disservice to BF by keeping him, not favoritism. If the offense sucks again this year BF may need security guards at his house.

Sandford played about 21 minutes a game, but for season had the second highest "per 40 minutes" stats on the team. Bowen and Dix certainly could have been on the floor more as well.

There are 10 years of statistical evidence of Frans teams.

They are tops in offensive efficiency and terrible at defense. Statistics show that you have to be decent at defense to be successful, but he throws the same system out year after year with the same results. Its the very definition of insanity.

might sound ridiculous but my interest in iowa sports is still peaking. my feeling is that as long they keep grinding away iowa fb is very close to breaking off some great seasons. even in bb despite the tourney shitshows in actuality last few years have shown iowa at least be relevant in conference. women's bb is definitely king, talented and pleasant looking to boot.

• Haha
There are 10 years of statistical evidence of Frans teams.

They are tops in offensive efficiency and terrible at defense. Statistics show that you have to be decent at defense to be successful, but he throws the same system out year after year with the same results. Its the very definition of insanity.
I guess it's really hard for some coaches to pivot. KF and Fran exemplify that. You believe in what you believe and the best you allow yourself to do is tweak.

But Fran did himself in in 2022/23 - he wants a high powered offense but started and played CMac and Ulis 53 minutes a game and they averaged less than 13 points. That leaves 147 minutes for the rest of the team to get to 80. I never thought they should be on the floor together.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
I actually don’t know if he did it not but it’s funny to say when people post the pic 🤷‍♂️😅
It did, actually. JL got a steal on the defensive end and took it all the way to the hoop. I think he was just hoping to draw a foul, but the ball somehow went in and he was just as surprised as everyone else in the arena.

His stat line in that game actually wasn’t bad. He went in for Cully Payne in the second half when Payne was forced out with cramps. JL ended up with 8 minutes played, 6 points, 2 steals, and no turnovers.

That is true...but unlike the current situation there were a lot of problems so it didnt stand out lol.
To be honest, I feel like Commings deserves more credit and respect for laying the foundation of what came after he was fired.

Iowa needed a guy like Hayden Fry to change the culture of the program. But Hayden also benefitted from some really good players that Commings recruited.

Commings’ Ohio connections started the pipeline of Stoops brothers with Bob. And he hired Bernie Wyatt to his staff, whose NY/NJ connections brought, among many others, some of the best players on that stellar 1981 defense like Andre Tippett and Lou King and Pat Dean.

Fry inherited a program that hadn’t won in 20 years, but the cupboard was far from empty.

Reactions: RileyHawk
To be honest, I feel like Commings deserves more credit and respect for laying the foundation of what came after he was fired.

Iowa needed a guy like Hayden Fry to change the culture of the program. But Hayden also benefitted from some really good players that Commings recruited.

Commings’ Ohio connections started the pipeline of Stoops brothers with Bob. And he hired Bernie Wyatt to his staff, whose NY/NJ connections brought, among many others, some of the best players on that stellar 1981 defense like Andre Tippett and Lou King and Pat Dean.

Fry inherited a program that hadn’t won in 20 years, but the cupboard was far from empty.

He also had some very good individual players; Joe Devlin, Jim Jensen, Jim Caldwell, Tom Rusk, Andre Jackson, etc.

To me, Tom Rusk will always be Iowa Football. To the 12 year old me anyway.

Reactions: TJ8869
it's been much, much worse.

2007 was one of the more recent down times of major Iowa sports that I can recall, football team went 6-6 and appeared to be going nowhere anytime soon and Todd Lickliter's first season as head coach was a shitshow. I think they won maybe 12 or 13 games that year.

At least this years football team won 8 games and a bowl game and the basketball team made the NCAA tourney. To me, those are respective seasons.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT