ADVERTISEMENT

I O W A chant

Somebody make this happen. Wiscy has "jump around", Mississippi state has the cow bell, this should be what Iowa is known for going forward.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-1.jpg

I thought it was really incredible, but...I don't think it is a good chant when the defense needs us. The noise needs to be constant for the D.

As great as that chant is, it really is better suited for play stoppages.

I thought it was really incredible, but...I don't think it is a good chant when the defense needs us. The noise needs to be constant for the D.

I understand what you are saying but if we can get half the stadium yelling "I" then the other half yelling "O" etc that HAS to be louder than normal crowd noise.

Particularly when probably more than half the crowd would scream each letter anyway.

IMO, you would get more people making noise than normally do. Just my experience but you rarely get half the people around you screaming in a defensive situation. It might be 1 out of 10 yelling.

The Iowa crowd was rocking Saturday night. And the student section led the charge. Awesome.

I give Iowa credit because the last time I was in Kinnick was 2012... The whole blasting of commercials, band playing music while the stadium announcer was talking, the stadium announcer killing the momentum of the crowd with some announcement about season lacross tickets, etc... It has improved.

It's a small thing but I really wish Iowa would hire a better stadium announcer. Seriously, the guy we have sounds more like he should be announcing bingo matches. Bring in someone with some energy...

Anywho, great night at Kinnick and kudos to all of the fans who were there rocking it

Last edited:
Reactions: ichawk24
If you watch the broadcast, not only could you clearly hear it, the announcers commented on how loud the crowd was during the chant.

Agreed, I LOVED it.. for a bit. But once Pitt got a first down I wanted the crowd to get loud with constant cheering. It was great but it just went on a bit too long. The crowd on the 4th and 15 was VERY loud, too bad the defense couldn't step up there.

That is what we were realizing as they, you know, kept moving the ball.

We would have realized differently had they gone 4-out.

It was amazing. Gave me goosebumps. I was in the A section and it went on so long. It was a special night in Kinnick

Same here! It was crazy loud! Was there with the whole family. Loved watching my kids screaming "W". Great night!

Here is my proposal. They need to get this organized by the PA guy to initiate it maybe with an on field person to cue the crowd to get it started.

Someone in marketing etc could come up with a great way of coordinating it all.

East stands and north stands say "I" then west stands and south stands say "O" then alternate back for the W and the A.

This would be great because you have half the stadium instead of 1/4 of the stadium yelling at a time.

Use it for defensive stands and even red zone possessions for visiting teams.

This could be a huge home field advantage.

Hell, the whole stadium could yell each letter. Imagine HOW Loud THAT Would be!
Exactly! Each section does the I O W A in unison, it'll be 4X as loud!

Reactions: icu81222
Exactly! Each section does the I O W A in unison, it'll be 4X as loud!

Or we can stick with tradition.

People can still get an I-O-W-A chant going, it happens all the time. Join in.

But after TDs the chant is by section, with no reason to change.

Or we can stick with tradition.

People can still get an I-O-W-A chant going, it happens all the time. Join in.

But after TDs the chant is by section, with no reason to change.
but it would be really unique for Iowa to use this as a 3rd down or simply a defensive stand type chant. I can't imagine anything else being louder than this and IMO it would become a much talked about and intimidating part of Iowa football games.

but it would be really unique for Iowa to use this as a 3rd down or simply a defensive stand type chant. I can't imagine anything else being louder than this and IMO it would become a much talked about and intimidating part of Iowa football games.

Instead of the constant, buzzing, droning, yell on 3rd downs?

Instead of the constant, buzzing, droning, yell on 3rd downs?
Like I said previously, not everyone is screaming and yelling in those situations at a game. Have you been to many games? I am betting 1 in 10 people around you aren't saying much if anything.

The IOWA chant would get nearly everyone in the stadium yelling at the top of their lungs. Most people don't like to just scream "ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!" So they don't. They might clap, they might yell.. "let's go hawks!" but then they stop. It isn't constant from each person.

surely you get that, right?

I know you simply like to try and argue as you obviously have nothing better to do and you do that constantly

Could be an intimidating thing for visiting teams if fans started it when we 'knew' we were going to win. It could really get into other teams heads. I love watching opposing teams look around when that cheer just keeps going and going like what the heck is happening. There were a few of those on the Pitt bench Saturday.

I've always thought it would be awesome if the I-O-W-A chant went around the stadium 3 times as we currently do it, and then the whole crowd did each letter 3 more times.

Agreed, I LOVED it.. for a bit. But once Pitt got a first down I wanted the crowd to get loud with constant cheering. It was great but it just went on a bit too long. The crowd on the 4th and 15 was VERY loud, too bad the defense couldn't step up there.

I agree with this. It was cool, but I actually got frustrated with it, it's like the "WAVE." The crowd gets more caught up in the activity than the actual game. We needed a stop and I O W A isn't intimidating at all. It's one section yelling a letter while the other 45,000 sit quiet.

We needed to get loud on that drive from the first snap to make life difficult. That 4th down was deafening but should have been to that point prior to that.

I agree with this. It was cool, but I actually got frustrated with it, it's like the "WAVE." The crowd gets more caught up in the activity than the actual game. We needed a stop and I O W A isn't intimidating at all. It's one section yelling a letter while the other 45,000 sit quiet.

We needed to get loud on that drive from the first snap to make life difficult. That 4th down was deafening but should have been to that point prior to that.

Were you at the game or watching on TV? Because I can tell you the energy from the crowd was simply amazing to feel. The D looked to be fired up and so was the crowd. As the continued Pitt conversions demonstrate, their offense was just clicking when it needed to (see the 4th and long conversion). The crowd was very loud for the 2nd half of the series, and it didn't end up helping with a stop. Credit the opposing players for performing when they needed to. The crowd didn't stop them at full volume when they were heading into the student section to score.

I can't speak for the players (on either team), but I would think that a repetitive I-O-W-A could be just as distracting when calling plays or a snap count, because it's not just a constant roar. If anybody happens to know any of the players, I'd like to find out how they felt about it, because that will be the most convincing evidence to me either way.

Was louder than Dolph on the radio broadcast. Never heard such a thing. I love the cheer as is. I do wish it had a clear ending, for most situations. But the everlasting I-O-W-A after the go-ahead score was something special for a special night.

I've been to some great games in my time, so now that a game-day trip is too much for my phase in life, I'm satisfied that I had my time. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be at every game, but the whole day trip is too much with several small children. But this game. Man, the more I read about everything that went down outside the game itself, this is the one I really wish I could have attended.

Were you at the game or watching on TV? Because I can tell you the energy from the crowd was simply amazing to feel. The D looked to be fired up and so was the crowd. As the continued Pitt conversions demonstrate, their offense was just clicking when it needed to (see the 4th and long conversion). The crowd was very loud for the 2nd half of the series, and it didn't end up helping with a stop. Credit the opposing players for performing when they needed to. The crowd didn't stop them at full volume when they were heading into the student section to score.

I can't speak for the players (on either team), but I would think that a repetitive I-O-W-A could be just as distracting when calling plays or a snap count, because it's not just a constant roar. If anybody happens to know any of the players, I'd like to find out how they felt about it, because that will be the most convincing evidence to me either way.

I was there and doing both, from the student section so don't color me as not knowing the difference. Yes they converted on 4th down due to a coverage lapse. I also know the juice the defense showed to get them into 4th and long as something we hadn't seen all game. That's the same time that the crowd started to realize they needed to yell.

Regardless of what you say. 15,000 yelling I O W A at a time is not nearly the white noise level that wreaks havoc as 70,000 screaming. Clear? yes. Deafening? No.

Otherwise, teams all over would adopt a spelling bee to distract teams.

I was there and doing both, from the student section so don't color me as not knowing the difference. Yes they converted on 4th down due to a coverage lapse. I also know the juice the defense showed to get them into 4th and long as something we hadn't seen all game. That's the same time that the crowd started to realize they needed to yell.

Regardless of what you say. 15,000 yelling I O W A at a time is not nearly the white noise level that wreaks havoc as 70,000 screaming. Clear? yes. Deafening? No.

Otherwise, teams all over would adopt a spelling bee to distract teams.

I understand your points, and can't say you're wrong. I just have a different view. I was right next to the students in 124, so was right on the outside of the loudest section.

I bolded the above, because we stopped the chant prior to the set of downs you're referencing. And I would say that the D showed some pretty good "juice", to use your word, on quite a few other defensive series prior to this one. This just happened to be the longest Pitt series all game (due to Pitt's conversions), so the guys had quite a few more plays to be made.

Regardless of the above, I really don't want to get into an argument with you, because I do understand your point. I would repeat my appeal to the players (if anyone knows some) to see what they have to say about the crowd on the final Pitt possession.

I kind of thought the same thing but I also think it helped sustain the noise. And it had to make the Pitt offense feel surrounded.

Reactions: Cwhoward
I like when the north end zone and the west stands battle in the I O W A fight fight fight chant.

I always thought it would be cool to have the students alternate it with the rest of the crowd

It sounded fantastic on TV, felt like I was there in person. I've always loved that chant.

You know why the music wasn't blaring Saturday night? Night game, residential neighborhood, I bet they didn't want 150 db speakers blaring into the dark night.

Reactions: HobbieHawk
I'm in the A section, and a guy near me yelled on the W all night. Detectives believe alcohol was involved.
There is a guy in my section that does this every time whenever the I O W A chant is done. The guy is so annoying. 2nd year of hearing this attention whore.

For you soccer fans out there, this will sound familiar.

For example, after the first field goal, how about the west side shouts "Marshall" and the east side yells "Koehn", repeating 5-6 times? Soccer fans commonly do this as a way to recognize their favorite player or a player playing particularly well. This wouldn't work as an intimidation tool, so much as a way to fire up the players and home crowd. I've never heard it at a football game, but think it could be pretty cool, perhaps it could be triggered via a jumbo-tron video.

I like when the north end zone and the west stands battle in the I O W A fight fight fight chant.

I always thought it would be cool to have the students alternate it with the rest of the crowd
Unless it suddenly changed this year, it's I-O-W-A Iowa! Iowa! Iowa!

It's a good idea, but is lacking execution. Perhaps because we're trying to cram three syllables into one! Especially poor by my fellow west-siders. The northerners always dominate us.

As for the "soccer" style suggestion. Not sure about that idea in particular, but I do wish we had more coordinated crowd efforts. As we've seen, talking so much about the I-O-W-A chant here, a coordinated crowd is a super-cool effect. I would love to have a crowd like this:

That's the Yellow Wall, Europe's largest single stand (25,000 strong). They do the same thing as our north-west corner exchange, chanting 'BVB' (the club's initials). It starts at 3:00 in the video. Except, theirs sounds cool, and ours is a whimper. It takes years to establish a tradition strong enough to get this many behind it, but I would definitely love something similar to develop at Iowa. Maybe it's why I like the four corner I-O-W-A so much. It's the closest we have.

Unless it suddenly changed this year, it's I-O-W-A Iowa! Iowa! Iowa!

It's a good idea, but is lacking execution. Perhaps because we're trying to cram three syllables into one! Especially poor by my fellow west-siders. The northerners always dominate us.

As for the "soccer" style suggestion. Not sure about that idea in particular, but I do wish we had more coordinated crowd efforts. As we've seen, talking so much about the I-O-W-A chant here, a coordinated crowd is a super-cool effect. I would love to have a crowd like this:

That's the Yellow Wall, Europe's largest single stand (25,000 strong). They do the same thing as our north-west corner exchange, chanting 'BVB' (the club's initials). It starts at 3:00 in the video. Except, theirs sounds cool, and ours is a whimper. It takes years to establish a tradition strong enough to get this many behind it, but I would definitely love something similar to develop at Iowa. Maybe it's why I like the four corner I-O-W-A so much. It's the closest we have.
Yes, it is still I-O-W-A Iowa! Iowa! Iowa

I can't go to the games as most of you know but the ending of that game, the team effort, and fans chanting I. O. W. A. For so long hanging out for so long after the game brought tears to my eyes. It just felt so good to see kinnick rocking again. I have replayed the game twice, just can't get enough of that crowd and team. Thanks for a great night Hawks and hawk fans you were wonderful....

Like I said previously, not everyone is screaming and yelling in those situations at a game. Have you been to many games? I am betting 1 in 10 people around you aren't saying much if anything.

The IOWA chant would get nearly everyone in the stadium yelling at the top of their lungs.

So your solution to not everybody yelling on 3rd downs is to ask them to yell something different on third downs? Brilliant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT