ADVERTISEMENT

I O W A chant

It was not new, we have done this before. It had been awhile, but we have most definitely carried the chant that long, that loud in the past.

I'm not doubting you or trying to call you out, but I'm not able to recall other times where we went that long. Do you remember any specific instances to jog my memory? I've been to 90-95% of the home games since the mid-90's (and lots of games prior to that), but don't have any that come to mind.

The one other time I can think of a super-extended I-O-W-A chant was when when we spanked OSU 33-7 in 2004. After a late TD, the chant just went on and on, because the game was more or less over and everyone was giddy with joy.

I'm not doubting you or trying to call you out, but I'm not able to recall other times where we went that long. Do you remember any specific instances to jog my memory? I've been to 90-95% of the home games since the mid-90's (and lots of games prior to that), but don't have any that come to mind.

Well, I was in the student section for the beginning of the Aughts, and that is where I would point. We may not have went as long as on Saturday, I never timed anything. But we have definitely went through kickoff and in to the next set of plays.

Off the top of my head? I would say the overtime loss to Michigan, night game vs. OSU, and a Wisconsin game. It certainly is rare, but this was not the first.

Edit after seeing the above post: May not have been the night game OSU, likely the one he is discussing.

The one other time I can think of a super-extended I-O-W-A chant was when when we spanked OSU 33-7 in 2004. After a late TD, the chant just went on and on, because the game was more or less over and everyone was giddy with joy.

I remember that, but I didn't think it lasted quite as long. My memory may be faulty on that count. It was an awesome game, but I'm still a little ticked we let them score at the end to break up the shutout.

Well, I was in the student section for the beginning of the Aughts, and that is where I would point. We may not have went as long as on Saturday, I never timed anything. But we have definitely went through kickoff and in to the next set of plays.

Off the top of my head? I would say the overtime loss to Michigan, night game vs. OSU, and a Wisconsin game. It certainly is rare, but this was not the first.

Edit after seeing the above post: May not have been the night game OSU, likely the one he is discussing.

Yeah, I think you've got a pretty good list. One common thing to note is that these games are all special circumstances (night game, rival, historically tough opponent, and/or a close game). It's nice to think that we could sustain the chant every game, but it may be asking too much to get that excited for more "average" games (i.e. most of the rest of this season).

Shit, I'm just happy to see the fans back in to it. The last few years from an energy standpoint have been tough. It was present in the first game, more so in this last one.

Don't get me wrong, the fans were ready at points last year, but it just never came together. There would be a great scoring drive (just for examples sake) and the crowd noise would be growing, and then it would die off after a non-defensive-stop, or vice versa where the D would get a big stop, crowd would buzz, then the offense sputtered. It just never had the opportunity to really get there.

This year has felt different from before the first game, and a big kudos goes out to the students who have filled their section twice now. Saturday's game, as you point out, was sort of the perfect storm: Close game, but with scoring and exciting plays (2 ints in 1st Q!), night game, came right down to the wire.

FWIW, a great friend of mine has been to pretty much every home game in the last 20 years. He also happened to be about 13 or so when he personally attended the 1985 Michigan game. So he's seen some great Kinnick crowds.

My question to him - "hey, has the I-O-W-A chant ever gone that long?" His answer, "never that I can remember. Pepp, it basically went organic and just kept going."

Shit, I'm just happy to see the fans back in to it. The last few years from an energy standpoint have been tough. It was present in the first game, more so in this last one.

Don't get me wrong, the fans were ready at points last year, but it just never came together. There would be a great scoring drive (just for examples sake) and the crowd noise would be growing, and then it would die off after a non-defensive-stop, or vice versa where the D would get a big stop, crowd would buzz, then the offense sputtered. It just never had the opportunity to really get there.

This year has felt different from before the first game, and a big kudos goes out to the students who have filled their section twice now. Saturday's game, as you point out, was sort of the perfect storm: Close game, but with scoring and exciting plays (2 ints in 1st Q!), night game, came right down to the wire.

This is a very good point, and I agree with you. This team seems to have what it takes to get us over the hump, and I'm excited for the remaining home games, despite the lack of big name opponents.

One thing I loved about the chant, it started flagging a little bit after Pitt ran a couple plays. Then the students dialed up the volume, and the whole place followed their lead. The tempo seemed to pick up a bit, too.

What a night.

FWIW, a great friend of mine has been to pretty much every home game in the last 20 years. He also happened to be about 13 or so when he personally attended the 1985 Michigan game. So he's seen some great Kinnick crowds.

My question to him - "hey, has the I-O-W-A chant ever gone that long?" His answer, "never that I can remember. Pepp, it basically went organic and just kept going."

This is my experience as well. However, the freshness of the experience and the way memories can fade do possibly have a factor in this. As theIowaHawk and ichawk24 have mentioned, there are some other games with similarly long chants. I still cling to my own belief that Saturday's was the longest. :)

Reactions: ichawk24

I believe the student section is smaller now. The south end zone no longer goes to the top. I think those seats now are public.

So your solution to not everybody yelling on 3rd downs is to ask them to yell something different on third downs? Brilliant.
You don't read very well . I stated several times that not every single person is yelling. In, fact, alot are not. And alot aren't constantly yelling.

Certainly not as much as they would with my proposed IOWA chant.

Yet again, you create BS so you can argue. Do you have a job? A hobby? Or do you simply just like to argue?

I believe the student section is smaller now. The south end zone no longer goes to the top. I think those seats now are public.

dsc_0332.jpg

The above picture illustrates how big the student section was previously. Students all wear black, since they are GA. You can see that the black in the corner is all the way to the back of the south endzone. This past weekend, however, photos show that the second tier is all reserved seating, with two gold sections above the students. See below:

635782978840623025-IOW-0919-Iowa-vs-Pittsburgh-09.jpg

Certainly not as much as they would with my proposed IOWA chant.

You think they will cheer (when they wouldn't before) because you propose it? That is the absurd part. If 1/10 werent yelling/cheering on third downs, they aren't likely to change because ICU asked.

One thing I loved about the chant, it started flagging a little bit after Pitt ran a couple plays. Then the students dialed up the volume, and the whole place followed their lead. The tempo seemed to pick up a bit, too.

What a night.

Students are vital to the whole experience, glad to see them coming back, can't wait until they are truly back to the mid-2000s level.

Right, as RecruitingViolation demonstrated, but the Students are still filling out what they have....something they haven't done in previous years.

Here is from the gigapicture: http://gigapixel.panoramas.com/iowa/football/20150919/

http://pano.ly/1l2l

It looks to me like the sw corner is students all the way up, the next section over (yellow, 221) is not (219, 220)

221 was often empty-emptyish last few years.

Right, as RecruitingViolation demonstrated, but the Students are still filling out what they have....something they haven't done in previous years.

Here is from the gigapicture: http://gigapixel.panoramas.com/iowa/football/20150919/

http://pano.ly/1l2l

It looks to me like the sw corner is students all the way up, the next section over (yellow, 221) is not (219, 220)

221 was often empty-emptyish last few years.

We had a row empty behind us in 124 last week. (bad game to skip) Two different groups of students sat there throughout the game because they said the student section was too full and they couldn't get in. That is a great sign in my book.

Unless it suddenly changed this year, it's I-O-W-A Iowa! Iowa! Iowa!

It's a good idea, but is lacking execution. Perhaps because we're trying to cram three syllables into one! Especially poor by my fellow west-siders. The northerners always dominate us.

As for the "soccer" style suggestion. Not sure about that idea in particular, but I do wish we had more coordinated crowd efforts. As we've seen, talking so much about the I-O-W-A chant here, a coordinated crowd is a super-cool effect. I would love to have a crowd like this:

That's the Yellow Wall, Europe's largest single stand (25,000 strong). They do the same thing as our north-west corner exchange, chanting 'BVB' (the club's initials). It starts at 3:00 in the video. Except, theirs sounds cool, and ours is a whimper. It takes years to establish a tradition strong enough to get this many behind it, but I would definitely love something similar to develop at Iowa. Maybe it's why I like the four corner I-O-W-A so much. It's the closest we have.
Something about a crap ton of Germans shouting in unison bothers me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT