ADVERTISEMENT

I Shouldn't be Surprised

Gooseeman

HR Heisman
Apr 14, 2002
but I kind of am.

The Community Action Agency I work for helps low income families with a lot of different things.

We are heavily involved in the Community with Christmas presents for families as well.

Within an hour of a client getting gifts, they had them for sale on a swap site in our Community for $30 for toys totaling about $250.

They are now banned from Services so I hope it was worth it.

Reactions: Herkmeister
I volunteered to deliver presents for Needy folks for about 4 yrs. The Christmas bureau or whatever it was called. It folded . some dude was running a scam.
But anyway one time I delivered to a house bigger than mine by about twice!! It was huge . oh well

I helped deliver gifts to needy families for years. It was humbling, and yet sad. There were home's we would set the presents inside the door. The scenes in some home's was so bad, the parents should have had their children taken from them. Just horrible conditions.

Maybe they lied and had no kids
That seems petty to deny services because the family could use cash more. Maybe next year just give cash to start. All those Chinese toy makers don't need your money money.
these toys are donated by the Community. I seriously doubt most people wouldn’ have a problem with it Based on the income we documented $30 would not make a difference. Maybe they should ask for cash

I don't know about this situation, but I am reminded of an episode of M*A*S*H by this story. Major Winchester gives chocolates and goodies to the orphanage, he immediately sees the items being sold on the black market. He is enraged and confronts the nuns (I think, it's been awhile since I've seen it. Maybe it was Mulcahey?). Winchester is told the goodies are being sold for food and clothing/blankets. What good is chocolate if you are hungry and cold all the time?

$250 value and they only got $30? Maybe next time put the prices on the toys so they can get a fairer return.

Reactions: artradley
Should there be? Why? When you give something away, why do you think you still have a right to govern how it's used? When a family needs cash and is given Barbie Dolls, this sort of selling needs to be considered legitimate. Defend your position.
The client got a $900 check on Dec 22nd so not seeing where $30 was needed. The toy Program is for those that can not afford gifts for their kids. Our Agency Director banned them not me. We had also just helped the monetari
Should there be? Why? When you give something away, why do you think you still have a right to govern how it's used? When a family needs cash and is given Barbie Dolls, this sort of selling needs to be considered legitimate. Defend your position.

Our Agency Director decided on the ban. The Program is for clients who say they can't afford gifts for their kids. We had just helped them monetarily, and he just got a $900 on Dec 22nd. You think it's ok our Agency Director disagrees. Merry Christmas.

Reactions: hawkeye54545
The client got a $900 check on Dec 22nd so not seeing where $30 was needed. The toy Program is for those that can not afford gifts for their kids. Our Agency Director banned them not me. We had also just helped the monetari

Our Agency Director decided on the ban. The Program is for clients who say they can't afford gifts for their kids. We had just helped them monetarily, and he just got a $900 on Dec 22nd. You think it's ok our Agency Director disagrees. Merry Christmas.
I'm suggesting you don't have any ground to decide what that family needs best and selling toys should hardly be considered an offensive act. Telling people they can't sell their toys is offensive however.

but I kind of am.

The Community Action Agency I work for helps low income families with a lot of different things.

We are heavily involved in the Community with Christmas presents for families as well.

Within an hour of a client getting gifts, they had them for sale on a swap site in our Community for $30 for toys totaling about $250.

They are now banned from Services so I hope it was worth it.

So your organization won't help them with anything now? Seems petty and vindictive.

$900 can be gone in the blink of an eye....Rent/Food/Gas/Electricity.

I know this is HROT, and most of you haven't been poor, but $30 can make a huge difference...when you have nothing.

I don't know about this situation, but I am reminded of an episode of M*A*S*H by this story. Major Winchester gives chocolates and goodies to the orphanage, he immediately sees the items being sold on the black market. He is enraged and confronts the nuns (I think, it's been awhile since I've seen it. Maybe it was Mulcahey?). Winchester is told the goodies are being sold for food and clothing/blankets. What good is chocolate if you are hungry and cold all the time?
It is the guy from the orphanage to whom he gave the chocolates and who is visiting the camp because they are having a party for the orphans. Great episode and may be the saddest TV Christmas episode ever. The other main plot line is trying to keep the mortally wounded soldier alive past Christmas so his family won't have to think of Christmas as a sad day.

Reactions: lucas80
I'm suggesting you don't have any ground to decide what that family needs best and selling toys should hardly be considered an offensive act. Telling people they can't sell their toys is offensive however.

once the item is given, it is theirs to do with as they wish....but if the item was given under the pretense that they didn't have any resources to get christmas presents for the kids and the items were sold off as cash, then I don't see a problem with those individuals being removed from participating in that program anymore.

Sorry to get this off topic... but I compare it to giving a beggar $$$ only to see him walk into the convenience store and buy cigs or alcohol.

To the OP... I tend to lean with agreeing with the program director.

The toys were for the kids. I don't know about banning them from all services, but I agree it was bullshit to sell them.

If you are receiving welfare you shouldn’t be able to buy alcohol or tobacco products, especially if you have kids. Should be noted/marked on your drivers license/ID.
You can't, but this wasn't welfare, it was a gift.

these toys are donated by the Community. I seriously doubt most people wouldn’ have a problem with it Based on the income we documented $30 would not make a difference. Maybe they should ask for cash
30 bucks for heroin?

I feel like the parents need for cash to score some drugs outweighed their need for their kids to have toys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT