ADVERTISEMENT

I think the chances of Caitlin Clark making Team USA for the Paris Olympics may have gone up

MplsHawk

HB Heisman
May 29, 2001
They just announced the 3 on 3 team, and Cameron Brink and Hailey Van Lith both made that team. I was thinking that CC might not make the 5 on 5 team with all of the salty veterans around, but naming HVL to an Olympic team, but not CC would seem unlikely. That makes me think that CC has a better chance of making the 5 on 5 team now.

3 on 3 team

I’m not sure she’s deserving (not saying she isn’t, either) but they’d be absolutely crazy not to include her from a marketing standpoint.

I agree. There are good arguments that she is probably not deserving, but as you said, for marketing it makes sense to add the all time scoring leader of NCAA and two-time player of the year. They also should consider the benefit of making some room for a few younger players on national teams. I don't think it does a lot of good to just keep the same aging players every Olympics, World Cup, etc. Also, CC may not deserve it, but she deserves to by on an Olympic team more than Hailey Van Lith does.

Last edited:
I agree. There are good arguments that she is probably not deserving, but as you said, for marketing it makes sense to add the all time scoring leader of NCAA and two-time player of the year. They also should consider the benefit of making some room a few younger players on national teams. I don't think it does a lot of good to just keep the same aging players every Olympics, World Cup, etc. Also, CC may not deserve it, but she deserves to by on an Olympic team more than Hailey Van Lith does.
12 is a small roster. Make it 15, just if it is breaking in some rooks with limited minutes for future Olympics when they will be front and center.

She's among the league leaders in every category on a terrible team. I'm not sure what more she would have to do to "deserve it". Sure, there are players that have done better in each category, but they aren't among the leaders in as many areas as she is.

She's among the league leaders in every category on a terrible team. I'm not sure what more she would have to do to "deserve it". Sure, there are players that have done better in each category, but they aren't among the leaders in as many areas as she is.

I'm not saying she isn't doing great, but I don't know if she is already one of the top 12 players in the WNBA. She might be, but based upon stats it doesn't seem like she's quite there yet. She's currently 18th in scoring, 4th in assists, and 30th in rebounds. Maybe that combination makes her deserving, I don't know. I just think it is likely that there are 15-20 WNBA player that are just as deserving based on this season's play. However, they don't all bring the resume that she brings, the popularity that she brings, etc.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
She is a leader in some categories, but this is a bit of an overstatement. There are 12 teams with 11-12 players on each team so between 132-144 players. According to this website https://stats.wnba.com/players/trad...&dir=-1&Season=2024&SeasonType=Regular Season here is how she ranks:

Pts/game 6th
Fg % 93rd
3pt% 68th
FT% 26th
Rbds 15th
TO’s 1st (2x all but 4 players)
Stls 13th
Blks 10th
Fouls 4th
Min 1st
Techs 1st (tied)

With some teammates that could hit their shots/layups and run the floor, and if you told her not to shoot long 3s and instead just facilitate, she could average 12-15 assists per game in the Olympics.

I will say she’s more deserving of a spot on the team than Boston right now.

I'm not saying she isn't doing great, but I don't know if she is already one of the top 12 players in the WNBA. She might be, but based upon stats it doesn't seem like she's quite there yet. She's currently 18th in scoring, 4th in assists, and 30th in rebounds. Maybe that combination makes her deserving, I don't know. I just think it is likely that there are 15-20 WNBA player that are just as deserving based on this season's play. However, they don't all bring the resume that she brings, the popularity that she brings, etc.
On a better team she’d be leading the league in assists and would probably not be leading in turnovers. Her teammates have horrible hands, don’t know where to go on offense, and are horrendous shots.

Not sure about now, but she was leading the league in rebounds by a guard a couple days ago.

15.6 ppg by a point guard that has to be exhausted from the stupid schedule the WNBA gave her team is really impressive.

She’s doing all of that while being guarded closer than any other player in the league and getting regularly hammered without any fouls called. She’s also bringing a block and a steal per game. The amazing post player Angel Reese finally got her first career block in her 8th game.

She is deserving of a spot. She isn’t deserving of a starting spot or big minutes yet though.

Y'all heard about the "Je Chie Dans La Seine Le 23 Juin" protest event planned for June? It's crazy.

Wouldn't say I'd stand behind the Parisians in this one but I do support them!

She is a leader in some categories, but this is a bit of an overstatement. There are 12 teams with 11-12 players on each team so between 132-144 players. According to this website https://stats.wnba.com/players/traditional/?PerMode=Totals&sort=MIN&dir=-1&Season=2024&SeasonType=Regular Season here is how she ranks:

Pts/game 6th
Fg % 93rd
3pt% 68th
FT% 26th
Rbds 15th
TO’s 1st (2x all but 4 players)
Stls 13th
Blks 10th
Fouls 4th
Min 1st
Techs 1st (tied)

Those stats are totals, not per game. That makes her look better or worse in various categories. Like minutes per game, she's 13th, not first. Turnovers, she's 2x all but like 15 players. Pts per game she's 18th, not 6th. Etc.

To be honest, her stats just aren't that good. Leading the league in turnovers and shooting only 35% (less than 30% from 3) seems to be a huge negative for not making the team. However, she still has time to turn things around.

Any selection for the Olympic team should be based on the player's entire body of work, not just the last 6 weeks.

Totally agree. Plus, I can't ignore the fact that Hailey Van Lith was just named to an Olympic team based on her entire body of work, and I haven't been terribly impressed with her body of work. It can't come close to comparing to CC's.

Reactions: HFan1981
Totally agree. Plus, I can't ignore the fact that Hailey Van Lith was just named to an Olympic team based on her entire body of work, and I haven't been terribly impressed with her body of work. It can't come close to comparing to CC's.
HVL was named to the 3x3 team on the basis of her 3x3 body of work, which is extensive. It dwarfs Clark's 3x3 body of work, which is nonexistent.

HVL was named to the 3x3 team on the basis of her 3x3 body of work, which is extensive. It dwarfs Clark's 3x3 body of work, which is nonexistent.

I was not aware. Thank you. Her 3x3 body of work appears to dwarf her 5x5 NCAA body of work. Nobody was claiming that CC had a 3x3 star or should be named to a 3x3 team, just that if HVL is good enough to be named to an Olympic team, it might mean that CC is too.

To be honest, her stats just aren't that good. Leading the league in turnovers and shooting only 35% (less than 30% from 3) seems to be a huge negative for not making the team. However, she still has time to turn things around.

How do you define good? Especially given opponent and scheduling context.

Reactions: Tenacious E
How do you define good? Especially given opponent and scheduling context.
Agreed. It’s been said by me and others repeatedly. If the fever were an average team Caitlin’s stats would be unbelievable. Probably at least 4 more assists per game, and WAY fewer turnovers. Not just because players would anticipate and handle the passes but she wouldn’t feel like she had to make the hardest of passes all of the time and dribble into and out of precarious positions on the floor. She also would get many more open looks for higher percentages, and wouldn’t need to expend max energy all if the time just to make things work. This doesn’t even go into the grueling accelerated schedule against the best teams with almost no practice time. This is as bad as it can get for her, and she’s still kicking ass.

We need her to make the roster. This will show the Fever Owner and GM how great she can be when surrounded by good players. It might also encourage one of those great players to consider going to the Fever as a free agent.
Are we sure she wouldn't get treated the same on the O T? Still would be a lot of jealousy from team mates and wouldn't pass the ball to her like the Fever teammates!!

Are we sure she wouldn't get treated the same on the O T? Still would be a lot of jealousy from team mates and wouldn't pass the ball to her like the Fever teammates!!
Doesn’t matter, in my opinion. Needs the exposure and time integrate. The sooner the better.

Well that's fair and around where I expected her to be. I had always said if they took her it wouldn't be because she was one of the 12 best players (or top 3 point guards, really), it would be because of the attention she would bring to the team. We'll see how she does now that team won't be playing that brutal schedule. Hopefully her legs come back to her and her shot improves. I really feel that fatigue in her legs has really limited her range and is why those long 3's aren't falling.

A good coach keeps that from happening. I'm not sure what role she would have on the team though. It may not be an ideal situation for her because they may just want her to hang around the 3 point line and take 3's. That's not really how she plays and she performs best when the offense runs through her.

Before her last game which was a huge lemon she was top 10 in rebounding and number one in assists I believe.

Well, that would be a great chance for Clark to win them over

I agree. There are good arguments that she is probably not deserving, but as you said, for marketing it makes sense to add the all time scoring leader of NCAA and two-time player of the year. They also should consider the benefit of making some room for a few younger players on national teams. I don't think it does a lot of good to just keep the same aging players every Olympics, World Cup, etc. Also, CC may not deserve it, but she deserves to by on an Olympic team more than Hailey Van Lith does.
Van Lith couldn't carry Caitlin's skims, and we have plenty of evidence to prove that fact. And Brink, like Reese, has one talent--being tall.

CC does deserve to be on the Olympic team. No question about it. But personally, I hope she doesn't get chosen. She could use the rest, and so could I. Trying to watch MLB and Fever games is getting tough. Besides, I'd love to see the US Women's Basketball Team be totally ignored without CC on it. TV ratings would totally tank, and that's what they deserve. CC can rescue them next time. Just IMHO, of course.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
She would be one of the top 5 players in that horrible league if (1) she were on a decent, well-coached team and (2) she received fair treatment from the officials. Period. End of story.

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
With some teammates that could hit their shots/layups and run the floor, and if you told her not to shoot long 3s and instead just facilitate, she could average 12-15 assists per game in the Olympics.

I will say she’s more deserving of a spot on the team than Boston right now.
Boston? LOL

She's absolutely horrible. She has no skill whatsoever. Have you watched Boston on the court? What the hell does she do besides miss lay-ups and fail to rebound?

More deserving than Boston is like saying LeBron is more deserving of being an NBA all-star than I am.

Well, the Fever's last game is July 17th, and then for other teams the playoffs begin. The Olympics start on July 26th

The logistics don't seem to work too well.

Boston? LOL

She's absolutely horrible. She has no skill whatsoever. Have you watched Boston on the court? What the hell does she do besides miss lay-ups and fail to rebound?

More deserving than Boston is like saying LeBron is more deserving of being an NBA all-star than I am.
Boston is on the non-final roster right now.

Looking at the roster's guards, Taurasi could easily be replaced with Clark if Team USA was worried about the future.
GPMINPTSREBASTSTLBLKTOFG%3P%FT%PF

Compared to Clark who his high turnovers and a lower FG and 3P% for reasons explained below.

Rhyne Howard isn't exactly distancing herself either with worse distance shooting than Clark.

And then there's Ariel Atkins with similar shooting percentages, fewer points rebounds and assists, and only only has the advantage of fewer turnovers than Clark.

That's one guard listed on the roster that Clark is having a better season than right now and two others that are comparable. While Clark has played more games, against harder competition, with less rest, basically immediately after playing the most games possible in an NCAA season with no offseason break, and effectively no practice time with her team leading to worse shooting stats from tired legs and at least one or two extra turnovers per game.

Reactions: HFan1981
There's no other country that can beat the USA women's team. They are 72-3 all time, having lost two times in their first year, 1976, and once in 1992. Since then they are 54-0. Losing a game is highly unlikely, with or without Caitlin on it, meaning putting her on the team isn't necessarily about looking at stats and performance and finding the "best" guard. She's more than capable of handling herself against the competition, but there could be someone who would be "better" for this year's team.

It will be interesting to see what direction USA basketball, the WNBA or anyone else involved goes. The obvious huge marketing bump there would be by putting her on the team (again she'd be deserving so putting her on the team isn't only about marketing) or the assuaging the egos of those who would be left off? It could be tricky for those involved in making the decision. They'll be criticized either way.

If Caitlin doesn't get named to the team, I expect her to be her typical gracious self when people poke her for a reaction.

They just announced the 3 on 3 team,

Hold up, wait a minute.

They were going to get rid of wrestling when there's women's 3 on 3 basketball?

The world gets most stupidest every day I swear.

hold-on-wait-a-minute.gif

• Haha
Reactions: kkhawk and MplsHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT