ADVERTISEMENT

I will never complain about Carver again

Penn St basketball fans are a heck of a lot more fair-weather than Iowa's. Any weeknight game will be played in front of a sparse crowd unless they come up with their best team since '01 and are playing Michigan St. Ripping on the arena itself, however, is unwarranted, IMO, which like most, has a superior setup to CHA.

Reactions: td77
Because of the isolation of Happy Valley it will be difficult for that team to ever draw well State College is listed with a population of about 40,000 and there are no other larger cities near by. Too far to drive for most people for a weeknight game.

But it's louder and better than Carver any day ..

Carver is the worst arena in Big Ten ..

Kirk-Lazarus-Tropic-Thunder1.jpg

Penn St basketball fans are a heck of a lot more fair-weather than Iowa's. Any weeknight game will be played in front of a sparse crowd unless they come up with their best team since '01 and are playing Michigan St. Ripping on the arena itself, however, is unwarranted, IMO, which like most, has a superior setup to CHA.

Fair weather would imply they show up ever, which they don’t, and it would imply penn state has had fair weather which they haven’t.

Because of the isolation of Happy Valley it will be difficult for that team to ever draw well State College is listed with a population of about 40,000 and there are no other larger cities near by. Too far to drive for most people for a weeknight game.

But their student body is about 46,000 undergrads. I'm not expecting a 15k sellout, but they have no excuse to not have 7-10k at the arena for a winnable Big Ten game against a top 25 team. If PSU could bring just 5% of their student body that is 2,300 people. About 1/3 of the way to 7k. Heck, they're not coming right now anyway, so you may as well let them in for free and hope to make some money from concessions.

Iowa's undergraduate enrollment is about 24,500. Something to put into perspective when people complain about our student section. IU, MSU, OSU, and PSU all have about 40k or more undergrads. Most of the other schools, excluding NW and Nebby all have close to 30k or more undergrads too.

Not fudged, it's tickets sold, they just don't show up

Then list "tickets sold." You'd think places of higher learning would know the diference between the term "attendance" and the phrase "tickets sold." So either they're dumb, liars, or both.

"Attendance" means how many people showed up for the event. It does NOT mean how many tickets were sold. How about a little honesty, a little transparency? Of course, they are Penn State. LOL

But Iowa and many other college and pro organizations do the same thing. It's dishonest, plain and simple, no matter who does it.

And just because the environment at PSU is even worse than at Carver in no way excuses Iowa. Barta and the gang should be embarrassed to have Carver mentioned in the same breath with that middle school environment that is PSU. (And no offense to you middle schools out there who actually show up for your team's games.)

I am not a giant fan of Carver, especially since I can remember the rockin Fieldhouse. My major complaint is the design. That said, its not that bad....

People just need to suck it up, there isn't going to be a new arena anytime soon.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I don't know how they get any recuits worth a darn to go to school there. 0-7 I guess maybe they don't :confused:

I am not a giant fan of Carver, especially since I can remember the rockin Fieldhouse. My major complaint is the design. That said, its not that bad....

People just need to suck it up, there isn't going to be a new arena anytime soon.
I'm fine with Carver as a place to watch a game in person. Relatively comfortable seating and good viewing in lots of the bowl. What it completely lacks is the ability to channel any fan enthusiasm, if it were present, into a home court advantage. It may be one of the easier venues for an opponent to come into in the B1G.
As for psu, they have almost no basketball tradition to speak of. 9 total NCAA appearances in their entire history and more than half of those 50+ years ago . They're obviously down this year even from their not great baseline performance. Not hard to understand their poor attendance. As much as I dislike psu due to their mishandling of the whole abuse scandal, I think they have a good argument that they're primarily a football(and wrestling) school. B-ball is almost an afterthought for them.

It's really nice to hear a kid in the stands say "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" everytime Iowa has the ball.

Amen. They have no fans at the game but some person at PSU decides to put the couple dozen of students close (good call) but how about not putting them right behind the TV announcers and on the other side of the floor so people don't have to hear this crap all game long. If this was at Carver and it was Iowa fans doing the same it would be just as annoying..

Reactions: Moral
I was disappointed by the crowd. Weds. night must be “shower” night for their fans.

That crowd was awful, given that it was a game the fans might have thought PSU could win. They get 107K to football games and 1,500 to BB games? C'mon.

Watched the game with my son - after a big PSU play he said, "And the fan goes wild!" True dat,

Reactions: HawkCapt1912
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT