ADVERTISEMENT

If it’s a foul in the first minute, 35th minute or last minute, it’s still a foul.

She was moving and obviously slid into her path and raised the arm for good measure. That's a foul and anyone saying it wasn't doesn't no the rules, are in denial or stupid.
All three options are possible.

It was a text book blocking foul. Official was decisive in his call. All this bull shit about letting the players make a play to decide the game? What if the foul not been called and UCONN payer made a shot because her defender was knocked out of the play?
At what point in the game do you stop making foul calls so you can "let the players decide the game"?
1 minute? 30 seconds? 12 seconds? 5 seconds? Stupid.

Watching the replay ESPN kept showing during the game I didn’t think it was a foul. Watching replays from other angles, it was totally a foul. She wasn’t set and lunged in front of Gabbie.
I think what made fans think this game was poorly officiated is that after every UConn foul call they said did she even make contact on that foul call. 95% of the time they would see the replay and be like yep, she did.

Granted Iowa did get a couple of favorable calls, mainly out of bounds calls. But I’m sure UConn got a couple of calls as well.

Plus this isn’t something new, the good/popular teams always get the calls. It’s just not usually iowa or one of my favorite teams for that matter.

Watching the replay ESPN kept showing during the game I didn’t think it was a foul. Watching replays from other angles, it was totally a foul. She wasn’t set and lunged in front of Gabbie.
I think what made fans think this game was poorly officiated is that after every UConn foul call they said did she even make contact on that foul call. 95% of the time they would see the replay and be like yep, she did.

Granted Iowa did get a couple of favorable calls, mainly out of bounds calls. But I’m sure UConn got a couple of calls as well.

Plus this isn’t something new, the good/popular teams always get the calls. It’s just not usually iowa or one of my favorite teams for that matter.

espn sucks and they are not even hiding who they wanted to win the game. (hint - it wasn't Iowa)
svp can go to hell as far as I am concerned!! what a giant d-bag.

Reactions: DewHawk

Granted Iowa did get a couple of favorable calls, mainly out of bounds calls. But I’m sure UConn got a co

Illegal Screen in Basketball: Basic Information Explained​

What is general information about the illegal screen in basketball​

Basic definition of illegal screen​

An illegal screen in basketball comprises action that generally occurs when a offensive player makes prohibited contact while setting a screen and/or the offensive player does not allow an opposing defender, who would be the target of the screen, enough time and/or distance to avoid the screen.

Penalty for illegal screen​

When a offensive player, who would be the screener, gets signaled for an illegal screen, particularly by a referee within organized competition, the penalty is an offensive foul charged to the screener as well as loss of basketball possession to the opposing team via turnover.

Vertical plane in relation to illegal screen​

A screener must stay within their own vertical plane approximately shoulder width apart while setting* a basketball screen.
The vertical plane also includes an imaginary cylinder of occupied space that surrounds the screener, or any other active player from the floor to as far as they can jump or extend their arms above their head.
uple of calls as well.

Check out the position of Edward's legs. She was moving, legs were far too wide to set a legal screen and also leaned into Gabby with her shoulder. Illegal screen all day long. Two seconds into the game or 5 seconds left.

Check out the position of Edward's legs. She was moving, legs were far too wide to set a legal screen and also leaned into Gabby with her shoulder. Illegal screen all day long. Two seconds into the game or 5 seconds left.

See the thread title. A foul is a foul regardless of the moment.

espn sucks and they are not even hiding who they wanted to win the game. (hint - it wasn't Iowa)
svp can go to hell as far as I am concerned!! what a giant d-bag.
He did not have the guts to bring up that call to Lisa Bluder. Bitched like a little girl she talking to his reporter at the game.

I'm thinking three things contributed to that call:
1) UConn had 3 screens call before the last one. That gets in the refs heads and they start looking harder at UConn for moving screens
2) She was moving out towards Iowa defender and did not look like she was stationary
3) the size difference between the two players and how the contact made it look like a foul

A foul is a foul. I never believe in the “refs swallow” the whistle in the last minute stuff. The elbow was out, it’s a foul any minute of the game. Piss on the whiners!
100% correct.

The broadcast kept showing it in slow motion as did SVP afterwards.

Watch it at regular speed…clearly a foul that could have affected the outcome of the game….had to be called to do justice to the game.

I love all the whiners hunting for bad/missed calls throughout the game to justify another one.

A foul is a foul. I never believe in the “refs swallow” the whistle in the last minute stuff. The elbow was out, it’s a foul any minute of the game. Piss on the whiners!
I dont agree with a good share of your posts but this is one I do agree on. And especially if it is a very obvious, hard foul right at the heart of the play call.

UConn was setting up Paige to get the ball on the other side of that screen. The elbows were way out and Edwards, I think it was, leaned out of vertical to really clobber Gabby.

And for the ref it was instinctual, they saw it coming and it happened. Foul called.

If a ball is out in tennis they have machines that say it is out, even if it is match point. If a golfer on the last hole of a tourney hits it out of bounds by an inch it is OB and a penalty plus distance.

Let the players decide? How can Gabby help decide when she's taken out of the play by a blatant moving screen, giving Bueckers a clear advantage. Bueckers had nothing she was about to get tripled in the corner if not for that screen. Clark and Stuelke were right there and there was a foul to give and less than 4 seconds left. Let the players decide, i agree. Gabby wasnt given the chance to do that.

lol okay. Look, letter of the law, sure it’s a moving screen. You’ll just 8 out of 10 screens during a game not called a foul there. Gabby ran through it hard which helped. I guarantee that if that calls against us this board is losing their minds.

Bottom line, it was a break but Hannah was in great position to force a a tough shot from Paige regardless.
NOt even to the letter of the law ...she did 3 things illegal on that screen it wasn't even a questionable call on an illegal screen she did EVERY single thing wrong on that screen right in front of the refs....they did let the players decide the game and the UCONN girl decided to try to do it illegally and got correctly called out on it!

Based on the replay shown above, the refs will blow their whistle and call a moving screen 100% of the time in the first 38 minutes of this game or any other game. I know nobody wants controversial calls to affect the last few seconds of a huge game, but this appears to be a pretty blatant moving screen that is being used to get their player an open shot to win the game.

Texted a friend with 2 min left.Said there will not be a foul called rest of the game unless intentional.
Really surprised me.
Isn't OP the guy that keeps complaining we don't have enough black players to win? lol
What does that have to do with the thread topic?

The slow motion view should really put an end to all of the negative chatter. It was the right call, whether you like it or not.

No doubt, the right call…

Jesus. If that doesn’t get called there they should put on pads and let em go at it. That’s a freaking foul. End of story. Anyone remember Josey Jewell getting tackled from behind on MSU’s game winning touchdown in the BIG title game in ‘15? Jewell would have stopped the runner for a loss. Refs should have called that one too. If that moving screen was the one that freed Bueckers for the game winner, Iowa would be the ones complaining and rightly so. Good call end of story!

Okay, I’ll agree that’s the way it should go but it’s rarely the reality. I’ll just say I’m always on the side of letting the players decide the game. Not at all apples to apples but I felt the same way about the CDJ punt return. Premise is the same, let the players determine the game.
Another idiotic take. So even if the player breaks an obvious rule don't call the foul huh?

At what point should the officials be pulled off the court? I guess Iowa could of tackled the shooter to stop the shot. That's letting them play right?

It was so obvious that Geno didn't go after the officials to defend his player like all coaches do. Instead he turned around, bent over and started throwing f bombs at the floor.

The truth! I thought that it looked like an intentional foul or whatever it is called in the women's game. Could ESPN have been more biased than it was after this game? If Bueckers would have been able to get the ball and shoot ,would the bad call crowd be OK if Marshall fouled her on the shot and no call made because it was a last second call?

Reactions: Dream25
You’ll just 8 out of 10 screens during a game not called a foul there.
This is more a commentary on poor officiating than it is on this particular foul.

To be fair, there were I think at least 3 fouls - including one on Clark early on, where if there was any contact at all, it was negligible at best.

What's funny is that for the most part I thought this was a decently officiated game by women's basketball standards.

It's simple, from the NCAA women's rule book...

Section 5. Screen
Art. 1.
A legal screen is action by any player, offensive or defensive, with or without the ball, which, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position.
Art. 2. In obtaining and maintaining legal screening tactics, the screener shall:
  1. Stay within their vertical plane with a stance in which the inside of the screener's feet are not wider than shoulder width apart. The screener shall not lean into the path of an opponent or extend their hips into that path, even though the feet are stationary
  2. Not be required to face in any particular direction at any time
  3. Be inbounds

Reactions: shudaddy
After seeing a higher angle where you can see her feet it was an obvious foul that should have been called. In fact, if they didn't call it and Paige went on to score we would all be ready to march on NCAA headquarters and burn the place down.

lol okay. Look, letter of the law, sure it’s a moving screen. You’ll just 8 out of 10 screens during a game not called a foul there. Gabby ran through it hard which helped. I guarantee that if that calls against us this board is losing their minds.

Bottom line, it was a break but Hannah was in great position to force a a tough shot from Paige regardless.

Speak for yourself, not for me.

The replay ESPN keeps using doesn't make it look as obvious and the other view from across the court. That view makes it 100% obvious
ESPN does everything they can to set the narrative they desire. Nothing has changed with them.

I'm thinking three things contributed to that call:
1) UConn had 3 screens call before the last one. That gets in the refs heads and they start looking harder at UConn for moving screens
2) She was moving out towards Iowa defender and did not look like she was stationary
3) the size difference between the two players and how the contact made it look like a foul

1. maybe
2. she was not close to stationary
3. it was a foul

Reactions: ft254
Okay, I’ll agree that’s the way it should go but it’s rarely the reality. I’ll just say I’m always on the side of letting the players decide the game. Not at all apples to apples but I felt the same way about the CDJ punt return. Premise is the same, let the players determine the game.
And the players did decide the game. Edward’s decided to attempt the screen even though she was out of position and couldn’t get to the spot before Gabbie, thus creating the contact. Had the ref swallowed the whistle on an obvious foul, they’d be the ones deciding the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT