ADVERTISEMENT

If it’s a foul in the first minute, 35th minute or last minute, it’s still a foul.

A foul is a foul. I never believe I the “refs swallow” the whistle in the last minute. The elbow was out, it’s a foul any minute of the game. Piss on the whiners!
I agree with this, although I'm more into consistency. If a play like that is a foul in the last 10 seconds it should have been a foul in the first 5 minutes too.

24ce7a4a-a7b2-42da-bf5f-403f6c8bb9f7_text.gif

A foul is a foul. I never believe I the “refs swallow” the whistle in the last minute. The elbow was out, it’s a foul any minute of the game. Piss on the whiners!
I agree but of course it will be debated.
Just need to beat SC soundly. Gona be tough with the depth they have.
Everyone will need to be hitting their shot.

Reactions: HawkBall23
If we’re being honest, it’s a terrible call especially in the moment. Hard screen where she may have leaned in but gosh we’d be irate if it was called against us.
If Stuelke hedges harder and checks Buecker out-of-bounds, would that have been a terrible call in the moment? When does blowing the whistle on something that should be called every time become a terrible call? Inside 10 seconds? 20 seconds? 1 minute?

See the thread title. A foul is a foul regardless of the moment.
Okay, I’ll agree that’s the way it should go but it’s rarely the reality. I’ll just say I’m always on the side of letting the players decide the game. Not at all apples to apples but I felt the same way about the CDJ punt return. Premise is the same, let the players determine the game.

Talked about it in the NIT championship game last night, if you go over the top of the screen your supposed to get that call. If you go under, not so much. ESPN can’t let it go for sure.

If we’re being honest, it’s a terrible call especially in the moment. Hard screen where she may have leaned in but gosh we’d be irate if it was called against us.
Idiotic take…..watch the replay & she was clearly moving to her left as contact was made. You should really learn the rules of b-ball before u comment.

Idiotic take…..watch the replay & she was clearly moving to her left as contact was made. You should really learn the rules of b-ball before u comment.
lol okay. Look, letter of the law, sure it’s a moving screen. You’ll just 8 out of 10 screens during a game not called a foul there. Gabby ran through it hard which helped. I guarantee that if that calls against us this board is losing their minds.

Bottom line, it was a break but Hannah was in great position to force a a tough shot from Paige regardless.

If Beuckers comes tighter off that screen, the screener doesn't have to lean into Gabby. IF the screener doesn't take out Marshall, and Gabby gets through she might bother the shot enough, it doesn't even go in. UConn didn't shoot that well from the perimeter all night, so who's to say they make the shot to get the lead anyway?

Also, maybe Geno is upset w/ the screener for leaning in and NOT at the official? Unclear.

If Beuckers comes tighter off that screen, the screener doesn't have to lean into Gabby. IF the screener doesn't take out Marshall, and Gabby gets through she might bother the shot enough, it doesn't even go in. UConn didn't shoot that well from the perimeter all night, so who's to say they make the shot to get the lead anyway?

Also, maybe Geno is upset w/ the screener for leaning in and NOT at the official? Unclear.

Geno complained in the post game that they got called for 3-4 moving screens and Iowa didn't get called for any.

lol okay. Look, letter of the law, sure it’s a moving screen. You’ll just 8 out of 10 screens during a game not called a foul there. Gabby ran through it hard which helped. I guarantee that if that calls against us this board is losing their minds.

Bottom line, it was a break but Hannah was in great position to force a a tough shot from Paige regardless.
Agreed…..it’s clearly a moving screen so 100% should be called anytime during the game.

If the same was called against Iowa.,,,,I would be yelling at the player dumb enough to set an obvious moving screen.

A foul is a foul. I never believe in the “refs swallow” the whistle in the last minute stuff. The elbow was out, it’s a foul any minute of the game. Piss on the whiners!
I don’t get the controversy. Swallowing the whistle late in the game should just be standard procedure? A foul is foul for sure. This controversy happens in every sport like the rules should change at the end of game. No pass interference on a Hail Mary in a football game. Dumb.

Let’s be honest. It’s just a make up call for the Keegan Murray/Ron Harper Jr foul at the end of the game in 2022, when the ref really should have swallowed the whistle.

Watching Sports Center just now and they again said it was a tough call, "especially because it could have gone either way." Tough call? Sure given the time of the game, but could have gone either way? LOFL
Could have gone either way. Yes. Refs do let a lot of stuff go late in the game to avoid these kinds of things I’m sure. But that doesn’t mean it was the wrong call.

Reactions: cmhawks99
And if the foul isn't called? UConn has to launch a long desperation shot with under 4 seconds. Probably misses.
They would have given back the game in the elite 8 if USC could hit anything. UConn missed like 7 straight FTs. But USC could not make a shot

I hate that "let the players decide the game" stuff if it means the refs have to completely swallow their whistles at the end of the game.

Yes, I do hate ticky tack calls, but that goes for the entire game. Not just the closing seconds. Call the obvious stuff, but otherwise let them play. That illegal screen late was obvious.

What is a foul in the first minute of a game should also be a foul in the closing moments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT