ADVERTISEMENT

If Trump Loses, He Will Claim He Won. Then What?

It's only happened once since 1988 and that was an incumbent and that was barely.

I get it...hell in the last 8 elections 4 of them been won with less than half the vote.

Just saying things can change dramatically...history has shown that. Johnson wins with 60%...eight years later there is a 20% swing the other direction.

Nixon leaves in scandal...one term later his party has the White House back.

Things change. Predicting what the electorate is going to look like in 20 years is bold.

You ignore him and let him lose 60 times in court while you continue governing. Oh, and this time have fully armed security at the capital. They want to f**k around, they can actually find. They won't have a collaborator in the White House preventing the national guard from showing up this time.

I was talking about New Hampshire. Abortion will defeat Trump in the general.
Maybe, bit I fear Dems will really have to crank up the rhetoric for that to work. And I'm not sure that will be enough to help with dwindling support among some traditionally D demographics - like workers, Hispanics, and youth.

Mainstream Dems are largely responsible for the climate crisis not being a huge issue for the American public. It should be a winner for them, but it hardly ever comes up. Meanwhile the Rs act like it doesn't exist, and get away with it.

No Republican will win the popular vote the rest of your lifetime
I would have said the same until recently. But the Trump GOP is making huge inroads into the working class and Hispanic demographics.

Seven million votes worth? Seems inconceivable, yet I can conceive it.

Voter suppression will play an increasing role.

A few years back I read that for the Dems to break even, they needed to win by 7%. Meaning that the voter suppression tactics of the Rs were already keeping 7% voters who would likely vote D from having their votes counted. After the 2020 GOP losses, many red states have further tightened voting restrictions. So that margin is doubtless larger now.

We'll see. But I'm not optimistic.

You said mainstream D’s barely mention climate change. I don’t think that is accurate at all.
Maybe I overstated it but they definitely aren't pushing it. They should be.

For years, too many Dems - even those who aren't in the pockets of the fossil energy corporations and plutocrats - have taken the view that the concept is just too hard to run on. But that's because they haven't laid the foundation.

It's hard to teach people about the true risks of climate change in the last couple of months of an election cycle - especially when the other 40+ months out of the previous 4 years have been dominated by Exxon and Koch advertising and politicians calling for more drilling and pipelines, with hardly any pushback.

Hard, but inexcusable not to make the effort, considering the risks. Yet the Dems have not made the effort. And even the better MSM only take up the case for a few days when the latest reports hit the news cycle.

It's only happened once since 1988 and that was an incumbent and that was barely.
Gen Y and Z seem to be lost for the Rs. Maybe Gen A will go Republican. If that's the case it could be decades before the Rs get another foothold for the popular vote.

cnn01212024.jpg

Those people should take a time machine back to ancient Greece,... we don't have a democracy, never did.
Please. Let's not quibble over definitions. The threat to what little democracy we still have is too great to be distracted by dueling definitions and verbal nitpicking.

The important question is how we can save and improve our democracy. And my fear is that we don't care enough to do so.

Reactions: SB_SB
Please. Let's not quibble over definitions. The threat to what little democracy we still have is too great to be distracted by dueling definitions and verbal nitpicking.

Definitions matter,.. The "democracy" you strive for doesn't exist in this country, never did, and it was never intended to,.. People tend to throw the term around as if it were some kind of unassailable idea, akin to motherhood. True democracy is not viable form of government,.. ask Socrates.

The "democracy" you strive for doesn't exist in this country, never did, and it was never intended to
Sure it has. Not at the federal level but plenty of lower level democratic experiments have been successful in America.

Nobody here is arguing for pure democracy, as far as I know. Just well-functioning, representative democracy in a republican framework.

When you deny residents the vote where they live, you can't achieve a representative democracy - for the simple reason that the wishes of those residents aren't represented.

As for whether the Founding Fathers intended us to have a democracy, you are mostly right. But that was the age of monarchy and they took big steps away from that anti-democratic tradition. We can admire and approve of what they accomplished without limiting ourselves to their first steps.

Democracy in America has been expanded a number of ways since our 18th century beginnings. Sometimes because of war, sometime because of intelligence. There's more we can do.

When you deny residents the vote where they live, you can't achieve a representative democracy - for the simple reason that the wishes of those residents aren't represented.

Depends on who you want to represent,.. I prefer a government that represents it's citizens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT