ADVERTISEMENT

If you could have one play back - Iowa version

downtown hawk redux

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2006
Lewisville
I saw this story over at BHGP and I thought it'd make an interesting thread.

Their top five they wanted back were:

5. Matt Sherman intercepted by Sam Sword in 1997.
4. Pembrooke Burrows' tip in the NCAA tournament in 1970.
3. Northwestern State jumper in the NCAA tournament 2006
2. Ronnie Lester injures knee in Final Four semis 1980
1. Corey Wooten sacks Ricky Stanzi in the end zone 2009.

Some of the honorable mentions were Brad Banks fumbles against ISU - 2002, Aaron Greving's safety against ISU 2001 and Craig Krenzel's last second Hail Mary to beat Purdue in 2002 (not a Hawkeye moment, but it was significant.

In my view, Burrow's tip in is No. 1 because I'm fairly sure Iowa was going to end up playing UCLA in the finals that year. Kentucky was average, even with Dan Issel, and St. Bonaventure had lost Bob Lanier. So this tip-in (no hyperbole) maybe not only prevented a finals appearance but an NCAA title.

Sherman's INT? Meh. Even the last-second Northwestern three doesn't make me want the play back because Alford would have found a way to lose the next game. Lester's injury and Wooten's sack of Stanzi would follow the Burrows' tip and I would add Wisconsin's punt fake in 2010. I wonder how that 2010 season would have changed if that play gets stuffed? Another that is overlooked, in a tight Elite Eight game what happens if Roy Marble doesn't have the ball taken away from in the UNLV game late or the lob to Lohaus is better timed in 1987.

Caveat: I would add Ronnie Harmon here but don't know which of his four fumbles or dropped TD pass I would want back in the '86 Rose Bowl. For some people, all of these might comprise the top five.

Anyway, there are surely more than these, so go ahead and add your own if you have another one.

This post was edited on 4/3 12:03 PM by downtown hawk redux

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News