ADVERTISEMENT

ILL St football forecast: post your findings

uihawk82

HB All-American
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2021
I am not sure how good this site is so:

Offensive Outlook​

Illinois State ranked No. 12 in FCS scoring offense last season, averaging 32.8 points per game. The Redbirds return their First Team All-MVFC running back, top three wide receivers, and three starting offensive linemen.

A new starting quarterback will need to emerge for an otherwise experienced offense. Two guys are battling it out.

My thought is hopefully the Hawk Defense will give this new QB a reason to never want to come back to Kinnick.

Defensive Outlook​

The Redbirds return their top seven tacklers and 9 of their top 11 after allowing 20.5 points per game last fall, which ranked No. 22 in the FCS.

ISU’s linebackers will be especially strong.

Usually want to know if

QB is accurate
QB is mobile

If those two things are true it puts the Iowa defense under stress. Not saying the opponent will drop 40 on them, but it means more TOP and exhaustion.

It becomes even worse if they have a big play WR who doesn’t mind the underneath stuff.

Think of most of our games against Purdue or Indiana way back….

If team doesn’t have that then I feel comfortable knowing the game will be very close….13-10, 17-13

I expect us to lean on the run if we don't get going in the pass game. I'm hoping the situational play calling will be improved and extend drives and add scoring opportunities. If Illinois St. is bringing in a new QB I just don't see him slinging it around the field being his first game is in Kinnick. His mobility will be more important for them. I expect a turnover or 2 generated by Hawks defense.

27-10 Iowa.

I think iowa recruited Rubley back in the day… was he one of the guys that played Covid ball here his senior year? The other QB has quite a bit of experience and seems to have some mobility… not overly concerned either way. The offense is the only concern week one.

Usually want to know if

QB is accurate
QB is mobile

If those two things are true it puts the Iowa defense under stress. Not saying the opponent will drop 40 on them, but it means more TOP and exhaustion.

It becomes even worse if they have a big play WR who doesn’t mind the underneath stuff.

Think of most of our games against Purdue or Indiana way back….

If team doesn’t have that then I feel comfortable knowing the game will be very close….13-10, 17-13
The website mentions they have 3 starting receivers returning and their top 2 running backs but I didnt read anything about their OLIne.

A brand new QB might not have much action under their belt so unless ILL ST has some stud Oline I think our defense will hold them to 14 or under.

The website said they have good returning Lbkrs and like 8 starters returning on defense.

I think iowa recruited Rubley back in the day… was he one of the guys that played Covid ball here his senior year? The other QB has quite a bit of experience and seems to have some mobility… not overly concerned either way. The offense is the only concern week one.
I believe we did have an interest in Rubley initially, but not sure if we ever offered him a ride or not. I think that is TJ's kid, I'm guessing? Terry graduated in 75? then played at ISU. I played two years with Todd, and TJ came after that.

The website mentions they have 3 starting receivers returning and their top 2 running backs but I didnt read anything about their OLIne.

A brand new QB might not have much action under their belt so unless ILL ST has some stud Oline I think our defense will hold them to 14 or under.

The website said they have good returning Lbkrs and like 8 starters returning on defense.
I know a top receiver is kevin kaspers nephew.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT