ADVERTISEMENT

OC Tim Lester officially announced

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005

TIM LESTER HIRED AS OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR​

IOWA CITY, Iowa — Tim Lester has been hired as the University of Iowa football’s offensive coordinator. The announcement was made Wednesday by Moon Family Head Football Coach Kirk Ferentz.
Lester comes to Iowa City with 22 years of coaching experience, including 12 years as a head coach at the Division I, II and III levels, and 12 years as an offensive coordinator. A native of Wheaton, Illinois, Lester spent last season as a senior analyst for the Green Bay Packers.
“I am excited to welcome Tim to our coaching staff as our offensive coordinator,” said Ferentz. “His experience as both a head coach and a coordinator at several different levels of football gives him an excellent perspective. I believe his expertise and personality make him a perfect fit for this position.”
During Lester’s time as a senior analyst, Green Bay won nine regular season games, earned a playoff berth, and defeated the Dallas Cowboys in the 2024 NFC Wild Card round. The Packers were defeated by eventual NFC Champion San Francisco in the Divisional Round.
“WHEN YOU HAVE COACHED AT EVERY LEVEL OF FOOTBALL LIKE I HAVE, YOU HAVE A TRUE APPRECIATION FOR AN OPPORTUNITY LIKE THIS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA. I KNOW THE TRADITION AND HISTORY OF THE HAWKEYE PROGRAM AND I AM EXCITED TO GET TO WORK WITH THE OUTSTANDING PLAYERS AND COACHES.”

TIM LESTER, OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR
Lester served as head coach at Western Michigan University (WMU) for six seasons (2017-22), during which time the Broncos won 37 games and appeared in three bowl games. WMU’s offense was ranked in the top 35 nationally in total offense four consecutive seasons (2018-21), with Lester serving as the primary offensive play caller for three years (2018-20).
In 2020, WMU ranked 16th nationally in total offense and QB Kaleb Eleby finished third in the nation in passer rating, trailing only Heisman finalist Mac Jones (Alabama) and Zach Wilson (BYU).
Prior to taking the head coaching position at WMU, Lester was the quarterbacks coach at Purdue in 2016, mentoring David Blough to 3,352 passing yards and accounting for 30 touchdowns. Lester served as Syracuse’s quarterbacks coach from 2013-15 and doubled as offensive coordinator in 2014 and 2015.
Lester was a four-year starting quarterback at WMU from 1996-99, leading the Broncos to a Mid-American Conference championship appearance his senior season. He earned MAC Freshman of the Year honors and was a second-team all-conference selection his junior and senior seasons. Lester graduated fourth in FBS history in passing yards (11,299) and sixth in touchdown passes (89). He set 17 school passing records and eight Mid-American Conference records. Lester was inducted into the Western Michigan Athletic Hall of Fame in 2011.
Lester and his wife Dawn have three sons, ages 14, 12, and 10. He is also the father of Quinn Isaacson, a 2022 NVCA/AVCA All-American volleyball setter at Ball State University, who has represented Team USA in the Volleyball Nation’s League and currently plays professionally in France.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

WMU’s offense was ranked in the top 35 nationally in total offense four consecutive seasons (2018-21), with Lester serving as the primary offensive play caller for three years (2018-20).

I would feel much better about this guy if he finished top 35 in a power 5 conference.

Who cares about what you do in the f'n MAC.
here's the thing: People get hung of on the competition too much. I would agree, it would be nice to have someone with major conference experience but:
When you coach in the MAC you play up a couple games and your level in conference. You don't get to pad stats easily. The talent level between teams is relatively equal in the MAC, so calling plays is calling plays. The same can be said for the major conferences, so whether its the MAC or ACC it's all relative.
I'm much more concerned, as I would have been with anyone but chryst, what kirk lets them do. Will he let them change the passing/route concepts. Will he let the OC move the pocket? Will he let the QB run from time to time?
I just don't see kirk dealing with the 3 yard lineman barrier in RPO. He might but I just don't see it.

..."expertise and personality' stuck out to me in Ferentz' statement.

Not a surprise to fans at this point, but (for better or worse) it goes to show Kirk really values that as much (or possibly more) than someone's resume/experience.

It sure was underwhelming with all the speculation going on. I will withhold judgement until December 1st, 2024 or September 8th, 2024 😀.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
This hire, should give even the most ardent KF sluuuuuuuurper a clue that it's time for this clusterphuck of a debacle to over......it was 7 years ago........

“I believe his personality makes him a perfect fit.”

Tim: “Coach, 3rd and long, what do you think we should do here?”

Kirk: “Run it and hope the defense holds”

Tim: “Yessir”

Perfect fit for Kirky.

..."expertise and personality' stuck out to me in Ferentz' statement.

Not a surprise to fans at this point, but (for better or worse) it goes to show Kirk really values that as much (or possibly more) than someone's resume/experience.
Anyone who has ever done hiring knows that fit matters. A lot of people have expertise, but not all of them would be good fits with the people and/or culture.

Those statements read like a 3 yard out to the TE on 3rd and 8.

Good luck to him running the Iowa offense this fall.

Maybe a bit premature, but first play - deep post to Kaleb Brown from Marco Lainez. That will get folks on your side.

"Moon Family Head Football Coach Kirk Ferentz" gets me everytime.
I thought it was some weird joke on the board related to that Korean cult.
WMU’s offense was ranked in the top 35 nationally in total offense four consecutive seasons (2018-21), with Lester serving as the primary offensive play caller for three years (2018-20).

I would feel much better about this guy if he finished top 35 in a power 5 conference.

Weren't people saying he wasn't really calling plays at WMU? Or am I confusing him with another candidate?

Reactions: Moral
I thought it was some weird joke on the board related to that Korean cult.

Weren't people saying he wasn't really calling plays at WMU? Or am I confusing him with another candidate?
Well, people say a lot of uninformed stuff on here, so they could have been talking about him, they would just happen to be wrong.

We gonna know so much more a year from now.
Yes, if the offense improves to #110 and scores 20 pts a game it will be an ok improvement, #90 and 24 pts a game will be very good for one year. Anything above that is gravy. Lester has the experience of seeing the game from the QB position and being a very prolific passer. I would think he knows what kinds of routes work best in different situations.

Yes, if the offense improves to #110 and scores 20 pts a game it will be an ok improvement, #90 and 24 pts a game will be very good for one year. Anything above that is gravy. Lester has the experience of seeing the game from the QB position and being a very prolific passer. I would think he knows what kinds of routes work best in different situations.
I will say it has been telling though we have not had OL in the Big Ten 1st and 2nd teamers. We have to get some of those in there, meaning we have the talent as compared to others in the league. We can't block we can't do anything.

He recruited Skyy Moore to WMU and Moore has been with the Chiefs for 2 years, even though he is somewhat up and down as a receiver. So maybe Lester can ID talent at the WR position and get some gems to come to Iowa. I would like to see more WR speed even if the coaches have to improve their route running and hands.

We got a dude who played the QB position at a pretty decent level. First one we have had I believe. Pretty sure KOK and Greg Davis did not.

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
He recruited Skyy Moore to WMU and Moore has been with the Chiefs for 2 years, even though he is somewhat up and down as a receiver. So maybe Lester can ID talent at the WR position and get some gems to come to Iowa. I would like to see more WR speed even if the coaches have to improve their route running and hands.
He is used to dealing with the scraps leftover by the big boy leagues anyway.

Mehhh, doesn't bother me. Some good coaches come out of the FCS. Which even WMU is at least FBS.
All we can do is see what happens. Lol
Can't wait for first game!

I am concerned that he was FIRED from a MAC school! 😢

“I believe his personality makes him a perfect fit.”

Tim: “Coach, 3rd and long, what do you think we should do here?”

Kirk: “Run it and hope the defense holds”

Tim: “Yessir”

Perfect fit for Kirky.
YES, RUN IT BEHIND KAYDEN PROCTOR! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA. I ALREADY PAID FOR MY SEASON TICKETS AND I SUPPORT ALL THE HAWKEYES (unlike many on this website).

Exactly.

Yes there are good coaches from the MAC, but this mofo got FIRED.

I'm guessing he was number 5 or so on Kirk's hire list.
he was fired from the hc spot but that doesn’t malign his ability as oc. for instance bf would still make a good ol or te coach though he got fired. kevin wilson was fired from iu (from hc spot) but he was superb as oc later.
no guarantee lester is the answer but can’t dismiss the possibility

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT