ADVERTISEMENT

OC Tim Lester officially announced

After all the snarky bullshit and cheap shots from me, I am done with that. I'm on board with Lester. True, he may not have been on Kirk's short list at the start, but that doesn't mean he's not qualified or capable of being a good OC at Iowa. Congrats to him. Welcome aboard I say.

After all the snarky bullshit and cheap shots from me, I am done with that. I'm on board with Lester. True, he may not have been on Kirk's short list at the start, but that doesn't mean he's not qualified or capable of being a good OC at Iowa. Congrats to him. Welcome aboard I say.
Hawkeye fans really do not have much choice so might as well start supporting Lester and hope Ferentz does not restrict his overall approach to offense.

He was a position coach for three years there, he had a good QB for 1 of those seasons. Horibrook was noticeably worse the year he was being coached by Bud than he was the year before and then the next year they made the pretty disastrous choice to stick with Mertz over Coan even though Mertz sucked. His CSU QB also got significantly better the next year after transferring out. It's not a strong track record, or at least not one that makes me think he can just naturally slide into coaching a new position or that he was so obviously the best one that they didn't need to do any sort of search or consider other options, which seems to be what has happened.

You don't need to have coached the position before to do it but it's still a nice bonus and Iowa is a school that desperately needs better WR play so I'd rather not risk it. Much easier to justify at TE, which is a smaller room and where the players spend a lot of time working with other position groups and coaches. TE is a pretty common place to slot a newer coach who you are hiring for recruiting because it tends to be the least demanding of the position coaching slots. Iowa also had a strong proven track record with developing TEs that had held up over multiple coaches, which is not true at WR. Hodge had guys on staff who had done it before at a high level like Brian and LeVar to learn from. Not a good comparison, in my opinion.

We have a lot of common ground, and seem to be disagreeing on very little. Again, they must think Bud is a good coach?

We have no idea if Lester does or does not want Budmayr as WR coach. I’m guessing he has no problem with it. We don’t know?

And firing whoever he wants is crazy. You don’t agree with this?

obfuscating made a batshit crazy comment, and we are bickering over a minor disagreement. We are a microcosm of this message board. :)

Hawkeye fans really do not have much choice so might as well start supporting Lester and hope Ferentz does not restrict his overall approach to offense.
Based on the extremely small sample of what I've seen from his offenses, if we see pretty much the same that we've seen over the past two years, I think we'll know what is going on. And no OC in the country could change that. But, I will be hopeful and positive that will not occur and Iowa has turned the page on offense, starting this fall.

YEAH AND WE HAVEN'T SCORED A SINGLE POINT OR WON A GAME SINCE LESTER GOT HERE!

WAY TO GO KF. YOUR HOLDING LESTER BACK!

WE NEED TO LISTEN TO OBFUS!
Pull your panties out of your hooha. Damn, triggered the shite out of you. Don't forget your meds dougy

How in the ever living fvck could we know this?

Where do you see a new OC come in, and just start firing the rest of the offensive staff? Could you come up with a more toxic situation?

Maybe he has somebody he wants to bring in, or maybe he met and really likes Budmayr.
Did you miss the "if" in my post? Y'all need to stop getting so triggered on a msg board.

I supported BF 100% when he went out there early in his career, started doing all this wild stuff, I think it was against penn st. all these wild trick plays. still lost but exciting. of course I did not like GD. we shall see: if lester goes out there and starts winning, people will support him.

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye

TIM LESTER HIRED AS OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR​

IOWA CITY, Iowa — Tim Lester has been hired as the University of Iowa football’s offensive coordinator. The announcement was made Wednesday by Moon Family Head Football Coach Kirk Ferentz.
Lester comes to Iowa City with 22 years of coaching experience, including 12 years as a head coach at the Division I, II and III levels, and 12 years as an offensive coordinator. A native of Wheaton, Illinois, Lester spent last season as a senior analyst for the Green Bay Packers.
“I am excited to welcome Tim to our coaching staff as our offensive coordinator,” said Ferentz. “His experience as both a head coach and a coordinator at several different levels of football gives him an excellent perspective. I believe his expertise and personality make him a perfect fit for this position.”
During Lester’s time as a senior analyst, Green Bay won nine regular season games, earned a playoff berth, and defeated the Dallas Cowboys in the 2024 NFC Wild Card round. The Packers were defeated by eventual NFC Champion San Francisco in the Divisional Round.

Lester served as head coach at Western Michigan University (WMU) for six seasons (2017-22), during which time the Broncos won 37 games and appeared in three bowl games. WMU’s offense was ranked in the top 35 nationally in total offense four consecutive seasons (2018-21), with Lester serving as the primary offensive play caller for three years (2018-20).
In 2020, WMU ranked 16th nationally in total offense and QB Kaleb Eleby finished third in the nation in passer rating, trailing only Heisman finalist Mac Jones (Alabama) and Zach Wilson (BYU).
Prior to taking the head coaching position at WMU, Lester was the quarterbacks coach at Purdue in 2016, mentoring David Blough to 3,352 passing yards and accounting for 30 touchdowns. Lester served as Syracuse’s quarterbacks coach from 2013-15 and doubled as offensive coordinator in 2014 and 2015.
Lester was a four-year starting quarterback at WMU from 1996-99, leading the Broncos to a Mid-American Conference championship appearance his senior season. He earned MAC Freshman of the Year honors and was a second-team all-conference selection his junior and senior seasons. Lester graduated fourth in FBS history in passing yards (11,299) and sixth in touchdown passes (89). He set 17 school passing records and eight Mid-American Conference records. Lester was inducted into the Western Michigan Athletic Hall of Fame in 2011.
Lester and his wife Dawn have three sons, ages 14, 12, and 10. He is also the father of Quinn Isaacson, a 2022 NVCA/AVCA All-American volleyball setter at Ball State University, who has represented Team USA in the Volleyball Nation’s League and currently plays professionally in France.
Do you think Lester has the cojones to tell Kirk Deacon will not play QB?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT