ADVERTISEMENT

Illini roster turnover

hawkjt

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2004
Giorgio B. Is going pro.
If Kofi goes pro, Curbelo will be their only returner in their top 8.
No pity parties for super recruiter Underwood as he will reload but if Fran finds a big man and Joe returns we could get some pay back next year vs Illini. Love beating those rivals.

Giorgio B. Is going pro.
No pity parties for super recruiter Underwood as he will reload but if Fran finds a big man and Joe returns we could get some pay back next year vs Illini. Love beating those rivals.

I assume Giorgi is looking to play in Europe where he's from. He was one guy on the roster I thought would've been better this year. I thought as a freshman he played very well but when Kofi came in saw his point total cut in half and this year his minutes took a larger hit. One would think Kofi would go pro but never know. No tears will be shed seeing Illinois lose all these guys.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Giorgio B. Is going pro.
That’s not right. Grandison started most of the year and he is back.

Frazier is coming back and, most likely, Damonte takes his free year, too.

Giorgi hasn’t seen his mom in two years. He has his degree and will end up in Europe. Great kid. His place in the rotation has already been filled by Florida transfer 6-10 Omar Payne who was actually ranked higher Kofi.

Kofi is not listed in the first or second round. He could still go pro, but better chance he returns.

Miller met with Underwood on the weekend and asked to return. Followup meeting with Adam and his mom this week. Adam never wanted to leave. Mom was jealous of Ayo and Curbelo. Thought Adam should have had the ball more. Lol

They expect to add a 4 in the transfer portal while Coleman Hawkins develops.

The reality is that Illinois may only lose Ayo in the top 8 and have an outstanding recruiting class coming in.

Austin Hutcherson is a key. He was injured this year. Ayo says he is the best talent on the roster. Best shooter. Best athlete. 6-6 guard with 42 inch vertical.

Lots of moving parts but roster could be outstanding.

Giorgi hasn’t seen his mom in two years. He has his degree and will end up in Europe. Great kid. His place in the rotation has already been filled by Florida transfer 6-10 Omar Payne who was actually ranked higher Kofi.

Kofi is not listed in the first or second round. He could still go pro, but better chance he returns.

Miller met with Underwood on the weekend and asked to return. Followup meeting with Adam and his mom this week. Adam never wanted to leave. Mom was jealous of Ayo and Curbelo. Thought Adam should have had the ball more. Lol

The reality is that Illinois may only lose Ayo in the top 8 and have an outstanding recruiting class coming in.

Austin Hutcherson is a key. He was injured this year. Ayo says he is the best talent on the roster. Best shooter. Best athlete. 6-6 guard with 42 inch vertical.

Murdered his hopes in broad daylight.

Reactions: ShawneeHawk 1
Not surprised Giorgi is leaving, and was surprised he didn't get better after his Fr year. Unfortunately, Underwood will always bring some guys in, so Illannoy won't suck too bad. Last in the B1G would be great IMO. I thought they had a power forward type guy who got regular playing time, and wasn't a Sr, but don't remember his name.

I think it's pretty incredible how fans of other B1G teams seem to monitor this board so they can pipe up every time anything slightly derogatory is said about their team. Do Iowa fans lurk on other boards as well? I've never even visited the forums of other B1G teams, much less post on them.

I think it's pretty incredible how fans of other B1G teams seem to monitor this board so they can pipe up every time anything slightly derogatory is said about their team. Do Iowa fans lurk on other boards as well? I've never even visited the forums of other B1G teams, much less post on them.
Combes has been around for years and he writes about his team without being a douche.

Recruit rankings don't mean much when you're averaging 3.8 ppg in year 2. It's not like Florida was a superpower this year either.

Payne is no Kofi.

Next thing you'll be telling us is that Harold Miner is the next Michael Jordan.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Recruit rankings don't mean much when you're averaging 3.8 ppg in year 2. It's not like Florida was a superpower this year either.

Payne is no Kofi.

Next thing you'll be telling us is that Harold Miner is the next Michael Jordan.
He was simply saying Payne has potential, and his defense is better than Kofis.

thanks for 411 combes!

Agreed - and most boards you can’t even visit cause you have to join with a membership.

"outstanding recruiting class?"

Is it though? It probably meets your needs but not really close to keeping pace with Michigan or Michigan State. Currently ranked 47th (with Payne?). 3 solid 4 stars but "outstanding" may be a stretch. Melendez won't be able to contribute for at least a year. Way too skinny.

Is Storr reclassifying to '21? I will concede that I think your staff got an absolute steal with that guy. Great size 6'5" and length with a B1G body already, with an athlete+ ceiling. You guys got in before he blows up this summer which I think he will. Bass has similar size. I am kind of envious of your ability to evaluate and recruit guard talent.

I think Miller is gone. Really silly decision on his part but I don't think he'll back down from it. Can you imagine starting every game on a team ranked in the top 5 for most of the year, having the "the man" leave, and still thinking you can do better elsewhere? It couldn't have been more perfectly teed up for him. There is no high major program that is going to feature him at pg. Don't get it but that's the time we're living in, I guess.

Last edited:
I know of a few wisconsin fans and combes. What other teams (ISU doesn't count)?

Combed- I concede that I was just going off your roster with grandison, Frazier,williams, all listed as seniors and the rest probably leaving you would have big turnover.
Evidently not. Good fortune for you guys.

I agree with you. I think the only time I visit another team's site is CF after they lose to Iowa in football or bball to read the meltdown. Though I think there are a handful amount of Iowa fans that frequent ISU ones such as CF. Know for sure one guy does because at least half his post are about some psycho path that post there. Use to read about Iowa fans that would visit Nebraska boards or at least use to but sounds like ban hammer gets dropped on a lot of Iowa fans on the Husker one from all the post I've seen here for the slightest bit of criticism.

You prefer an echo chamber...

You prefer an echo chamber...
Many here prefer the warm, comforting bliss of ignorance to the harsh, bracing sting of reality.

That way, we always do the right things with the best players and best coaches in the league.

I don’t think any other boards/fan bases are much different. As others have noted, this board allows a lot from other fans that many other boards would not. I like that but I can understand why many don’t.

During the season I visit Wisconsin, Illinois, Rutgers, and Maryland sites the most. I tried a few times but I honestly can’t stomach Michigan fans even digitally.

Turnover is going to become the norm for most programs here on out. It’s free agency. Hate to be a coach/recruiter...

Not a fan of kids allowed to transfer two or three times... Allow one-time transfer... if they want to transfer a second or third time they “sit” a year.

NCAA needs to get a handle on this ...

Is it though? It probably meets your needs but not really close to keeping pace with Michigan or Michigan State. Currently ranked 47th (with Payne?). 3 solid 4 stars but "outstanding" may be a stretch. Melendez won't be able to contribute for at least a year. Way too skinny.

Is Storr reclassifying to '21? I will concede that I think your staff got an absolute steal with that guy. Great size 6'5" and length with a B1G body already, with an athlete+ ceiling. You guys got in before he blows up this summer which I think he will. Bass has similar size. I am kind of envious of your ability to evaluate and recruit guard talent.

I think Miller is gone. Really silly decision on his part but I don't think he'll back down from it. Can you imagine starting every game on a team ranked in the top 5 for most of the year, having the "the man" leave, and still thinking you can do better elsewhere? It couldn't have been more perfectly teed up for him. There is no high major program that is going to feature him at pg. Don't get it but that's the time we're living in, I guess.
247 has it the 27th class right now. Not sure where they'll end up on Rivals. There's another couple of transfer 4's that we have a legitimate shot at that would be homeruns (one not on the market that is not that likely, imo).

I think you're right though that the class is more a really good class in terms of meeting needs and plugging holes than anything else. That's what the program needs most right now though.

The likelihood that Miller returns is higher than the likelihood he doesn't from what those around him are saying. Combes is tied into the program, so he'd know. Could still see some team promising him the world and him leaving, but it doesn't sound like he heard what he expected to hear from the recruiting community.

Last edited:

Next year is all about if Kofi comes back. If he does, Illinois is likely a top 10/15 team again. If not, they still should be able to make the tournament but have a much lower ceiling. But still lots of guys left in the portal and roster movement is going to go on through the summer.

I think Illinois wants Storr to stay as a '21 now that they have 3 wings in this '21 class already.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
247 has it the 27th class right now. Not sure where they'll end up on Rivals. There's another couple of transfer 4's that we have a legitimate shot at that would be homeruns (one not on the market that is not that likely, imo).

I think you're right though that the class is more a really good class in terms of meeting needs and plugging holes than anything else. That's what the program needs most right now though.

The likelihood that Miller returns is higher than the likelihood he doesn't from what those around him are saying. Combes is tied into the program, so he'd know. Could still see some team promising him the world and him leaving, but it doesn't sound like he heard what he expected to hear from the recruiting community.
I saw you guys landed Podziemki. Boosted you 20 spots nationally.

Underwood is doing exactly what you need to do in order to stay nationally relevant — stacking up top 40 classes. Illinois has actually done significantly better than that having top 40, top 15, and top 30 class back to back.

I wish we could stack a few top 40 classes. Fran has yet to do it in 11 years here.

Underwood is doing exactly what you need to do in order to stay nationally relevant — stacking up top 40 classes. Illinois has actually done significantly better than that having top 40, top 15, and top 30 class back to back.

I wish we could stack a few top 40 classes. Fran has yet to do it in 11 years here.
I’m not sure Fran ever will. He seems to have specific player types in mind that don’t typically grade highly. A guy like Luke Goode in our class is exactly that mold; you see the foundation in place, but they need further development. Tougher model to be good every year, but he’s one that’s able to recruit to his system.

[I have been avoiding this and most message boards since Illinois' colossally disappointing loss to Loyola ... too much other stuff going on to take my beatings online from anonymous A-holes, too!]

I lived in Iowa for a long time and have a LOT of Hawkeyes friends, so I follow Iowa basketball fairly closely. I just cannot make up my mind about Fran. On one hand, he's taken Iowa basketball to a spot where - in terms of national relevance - it has not been for MANY years, and that's even more impressive considering the sorry state of the program during the Lick years. Even with a "Fran Fade" in some of those years, Iowa has had a lot of teams ranked in the top 25 for stretches, and they were a bona fide "top 10 team" this past year. On the other hand, he has been there for a very long time, and I think it's totally fair to wonder if he's near his ceiling, especially without some new assistant to drastically improve recruiting.

So, the question really becomes what Iowa fans expect. Illinois fans quite simply want/expect SOME coach to win us a National Championship. We are pretty easily (by metrics) the best program all-time to never have won it, and our fairly impressive regular season history as a program has depressingly little to show for itself come March Madness ... so that is the goal. Plain and simple. We're realistic enough to know that can't be a YEARLY goal, but that is the END goal, always, with a baseline of consistently ranked teams that are in the upper half of the Big Ten and able to threaten a deep NCAAs run every 3-4 years. Given the resources/potential at Illinois, I think that's a fair goal, but it's also why our fan base can come across as "delusional" or "insecure" or "crazy" to those that don't like the Illini. :)

Having lived in Iowa City, I PERSONALLY have perceived somewhat of a divide between fans that see no reason Iowa couldn't do whatever a school like Wisconsin could do and fans who practically take pride in the fact that "little ole Iowa" is as consistently good as it is in both major sports, given the lack of instate talent and whatnot (i.e., they don't expect much more). I happen to be in the middle. While Iowa might not enjoy as many "natural advantages" on paper (for basketball) as a school like Illinois or Maryland or something, that type of thing seems to matter less and less these days. An elite recruiter can ABSOLUTELY get top recruits to go play for a good Iowa program in a great B1G college town like Iowa City if recruiters have proven to be able to do the same for places like Ames, IA or Manhattan, KS. Wouldn't you have to think that if Fran can't sort of "reload" with some very talented freshmen over the next few years to get back to this level, his seat would start to get warm? Obviously, a Garza is a once in a lifetime player, but Iowa fans are passionately reengaged with the program, and I wouldn't think they would tolerate dropping back down out of the top of the conference for too many years in a row.

Iowa fans are passionately reengaged with the program, and I wouldn't think they would tolerate dropping back down out of the top of the conference for too many years in a row.
In the last five seasons Iowa has finished 5th, 11th, 6th, 5th, and 3d, for average of 6th place. This five year span includes 2 NCAA round of 32 appearances. Fran is .505 in regular season B1G play over 11 seasons, and .333 all-time in the BTT (5-10 ... five total wins in 11 years).

That’s a pretty damn loose definition of “the top of the conference.”

Stick around. You’ll likely be very surprised at what Iowa fans will “tolerate.” lol

Last edited:
In the last five seasons Iowa has finished 5th, 11th, 6th, 5th, and 3d, for average of 6th place. This five year span includes 2 NCAA round of 32 appearances. Fran is .505 in regular season B1G play over 11 seasons, and .333 all-time in the BTT (5-10 ... five total wins in 11 years).

That’s a pretty damn loose definition of “the top of the conference.”

Stick around. You’ll likely be very surprised at what Iowa fans will “tolerate.” lol
Nice cherry picking.

Payne is no Kofi.

I mean the B10 was possibly the most overrated conference ever this year. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if putting up 3.8 ppg in the SEC is actually better than the inflated numbers Cockburn put up

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Wisconsin hasn't been good because of recruiting. They've been good because they have valued solid defense

[I have been avoiding this and most message boards since Illinois' colossally disappointing loss to Loyola ... too much other stuff going on to take my beatings online from anonymous A-holes, too!]

I lived in Iowa for a long time and have a LOT of Hawkeyes friends, so I follow Iowa basketball fairly closely. I just cannot make up my mind about Fran. On one hand, he's taken Iowa basketball to a spot where - in terms of national relevance - it has not been for MANY years, and that's even more impressive considering the sorry state of the program during the Lick years. Even with a "Fran Fade" in some of those years, Iowa has had a lot of teams ranked in the top 25 for stretches, and they were a bona fide "top 10 team" this past year. On the other hand, he has been there for a very long time, and I think it's totally fair to wonder if he's near his ceiling, especially without some new assistant to drastically improve recruiting.

So, the question really becomes what Iowa fans expect. Illinois fans quite simply want/expect SOME coach to win us a National Championship. We are pretty easily (by metrics) the best program all-time to never have won it, and our fairly impressive regular season history as a program has depressingly little to show for itself come March Madness ... so that is the goal. Plain and simple. We're realistic enough to know that can't be a YEARLY goal, but that is the END goal, always, with a baseline of consistently ranked teams that are in the upper half of the Big Ten and able to threaten a deep NCAAs run every 3-4 years. Given the resources/potential at Illinois, I think that's a fair goal, but it's also why our fan base can come across as "delusional" or "insecure" or "crazy" to those that don't like the Illini. :)

Having lived in Iowa City, I PERSONALLY have perceived somewhat of a divide between fans that see no reason Iowa couldn't do whatever a school like Wisconsin could do and fans who practically take pride in the fact that "little ole Iowa" is as consistently good as it is in both major sports, given the lack of instate talent and whatnot (i.e., they don't expect much more). I happen to be in the middle. While Iowa might not enjoy as many "natural advantages" on paper (for basketball) as a school like Illinois or Maryland or something, that type of thing seems to matter less and less these days. An elite recruiter can ABSOLUTELY get top recruits to go play for a good Iowa program in a great B1G college town like Iowa City if recruiters have proven to be able to do the same for places like Ames, IA or Manhattan, KS. Wouldn't you have to think that if Fran can't sort of "reload" with some very talented freshmen over the next few years to get back to this level, his seat would start to get warm? Obviously, a Garza is a once in a lifetime player, but Iowa fans are passionately reengaged with the program, and I wouldn't think they would tolerate dropping back down out of the top of the conference for too many years in a row.

Have you purchased your Ayo shower session photographs yet?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT