ADVERTISEMENT

Important Lessons (no one talks about) I’ve Learned in my Years of Education and Coaching

FAUlty Gator

HB Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Just began putting this together so I thought I'd share. Much more to add I'm sure but thought this first 10 was worth a share. Feel free to add some and I can add what I like to the list.

Important Lessons (no one talks about) I’ve Learned in my Years of Education and Coaching​

1. The three groups of people who will make or break your world when it comes to quality of life on campus are: Cafeteria Workers, Custodians, Maintenance people. Meet them early. Get to know them on a first name basis. Buy them gift cards for helping you. Wish them Happy birthday. Sit with and eat with them at gatherings (they’re always more interesting anyway). And you will never go wanting when it comes to the things you hate having to do yourself. Namely feeding yourself, cleaning up after yourself and fixing stuff. Get to know your professionals and let them handle it. This is “Rule number 1” for a reason. This is the way.

2. It’s always better to have to ask FOR a key to open something than to be the guy with all the keys. That’s a nightmare. You find yourself getting called every other weekend to come open a room or a door by people…like me…who don’t have all the keys.

3. Unless a student is choking or there is a major brawl occurring, there is NEVER a good reason to place your hands on a student. Ever.

4.Never say the following to a colleague or boss: “What time are we done?” “I’ve never done it that way.” Talk negative about a parent or colleague you are not positive whether the person you’re talking to likes.

5. When walking down a hallway between classes (or not between them) always look straight ahead. Never down. Things down there can only get you in trouble.

6. Never talk with a student alone in your room. Especially one of the opposite sex. Always keep your door open if you have to. And always find a colleague to sit in with you when talking to a player or student about disciplinary matters. Witnesses are great for when the kid goes home and lies to their parents about what you said.

7. If you like to drink, avoid doing so in public and if you must sit in the back where no one can see you…unless you’re having a great season. Then sit prominently where everyone can see you and possibly pick up your tab.

8. Shoes- Keep an extra pair at work for when you ruin the ones on your feet. Socks too. Same can be said for dry clothes and warm weather gear, sunglasses a cheap pair of readers (if you need them) and hats. Quite often you wish you had at least one of these.

9. Show up early. To everything. Sit away from your buddies at meetings, especially if you know they like to talk. Nothing worse than people talking at a meeting when the person in the front of the room keeps having for a group of people to shut up. Don’t be part of that group. It only takes once to be “that guy”.

10. Be nice to everyone, all the time, even when you don’t want to be. Even to people you don’t like. In general, never let anyone ever say about you that you don’t want being said about you. It’s not that hard. And yes, the reasoning is selfish. Burning too many bridges results in you asking the help of people less equipped to handle your problem- all because you pissed off the person you really need, two years ago at some function you don’t even remember. Just be nice.

Very sage advice, Faulty. During my student teaching gig, my mentor teacher emphasized over and over Rule #1...and it served me well for my 20 years in the classroom.

Also, LMAO at the second part of rule #7.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
Very sage advice, Faulty. During my student teaching gig, my mentor teacher emphasized over and over Rule #1...and it served me well for my 20 years in the classroom.

Also, LMAO at the second part of rule #7.
Firm believer in those for sure.

What you have to remember is administrations and booster clubs make up all kinds of reason to fire people if they don't like the way things are going. They can't come out and say, "Well, you are winning. the kids love you. The parents love you. But your offense isn't exciting enough so we are letting you go." So they have to find something else on you. My credo has always been "Never give them that one thing they can use to fire you other than wins and losses." Force them to say what they really don't like about you. Don't let the pricks off the hook by doing something stupid.

• Love
Reactions: seminoleed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT