ADVERTISEMENT

In Defense of Sides

Georgia_Hawk

HB MVP
Oct 17, 2016
OK, some of her substitution patterns are still questionable, but I am starting to come around a little bit on Sides
  • After going 1-8 in May, they are 14-8 since. That's a 64% clip, which would be 4th highest in the league.
  • Their defense started out horrible, but they are improving. Probably up to slightly below average now.
  • Good team chemistry (stark contrast to the Sky). With all the attention that Clark gets, this could have easily gone sideways.
  • Boston has figured out the high post role. Setting better screens and she is a LOT better at passing to open shooters.
  • Mitchell and Clark both want the ball in their hands. It just wasn't working early in the year. Still a ways to go, but they a working together much better now.
  • Regarding the occasional questionable substitution patterns, you have to remember that other than Clark/Mitchell/Boston (and sometimes Hull), she does not have a lot to work with.
Discuss amongst yourselves....

I think people did not appreciate how hard it is to take a team through switching style of play while going through that way the wnba set this team up to fail at the start of the year. I think she is starting to put people who understand read/react in on offense and let them play rather than trying to control it. That frees her up to focus on defense. A lot of fans were not really thinking about how hard it is to expect a young team that didnt play at Iowa to play like 8 year vets. Most of the young players came from systems that were running mostly set plays. She had to balance running set plays with Clark constantly changing the play to take advantage of a defensive lapse.

Reactions: oldhawk56
I think she watches a lot of YouTube at night. This will be confirmed if we start seeing Smith’s minutes transferring over to Fagbenle over the final nine games.

I think Sides has managed the roster fairly well so far given the relative youth and the personalities involved, and especially incorporating the most dynamic WBB player in America, a rookie. Should have been better organized to start; certainly could have been worse.

Some coaching decisions or non-decisions are frustrating. Sometimes it’s obvious. Last night’s game thread as example - a poster (Bro D, I think) pointed out a standard adjustment for positioning Boston in order to take defensive pressure off of Clark. Sides never adjusted.

Overall, I’d giver her a C+ grade so far. Plenty of room for improvement.

Wallace went from starting, to not playing a single minute at all. It took Sides half a season to figure that out. I actually think that decision came from higher up, as it should have been plain to see.
I'm thinking that since Wallace came with Sides from Atlanta, ( I believe) she had a comfort level with her. It could be as you said that Dunn told her to sit Wallace, or else Sides figured out that she needed another shooter on the wing when Clark penetrates the defense.

Has anyone looked at how we are blowing these leads? I know we are missing shots, and I know all of the teams have good players, but it seems like something on offense changes for the worse once we are up 15, and let the other teams back in the game. Maybe it is as simple as the have to take the foot off the gas with caitlin for parts of the game so she can "rest" on offense some?

OK, some of her substitution patterns are still questionable, but I am starting to come around a little bit on Sides
  • After going 1-8 in May, they are 14-8 since. That's a 64% clip, which would be 4th highest in the league.
  • Their defense started out horrible, but they are improving. Probably up to slightly below average now.
  • Good team chemistry (stark contrast to the Sky). With all the attention that Clark gets, this could have easily gone sideways.
  • Boston has figured out the high post role. Setting better screens and she is a LOT better at passing to open shooters.
  • Mitchell and Clark both want the ball in their hands. It just wasn't working early in the year. Still a ways to go, but they a working together much better now.
  • Regarding the occasional questionable substitution patterns, you have to remember that other than Clark/Mitchell/Boston (and sometimes Hull), she does not have a lot to work with.
I think CC is the biggest factor by far in the teams chemistry. For all her star power she's still "one of the girls" and her ability to create good open shots for her team mates can't be overlooked. It took Mitchell a minute, but I think she has figured out now when you play with someone with Clarks skill and the sheer gravity she creates, (so much of the defense's focus shifts too her), so much open floor has been created for her to do her thing. These first 5 games since the break are a perfect example of the freedom Mitchell can enjoy to get open looks and driving lanes or run in transition with the games best passer....As far as the Sky's chemistry compare what Reese brings to the table. It's about her getting those dub/dubs, and really is doing little to help her team mates expand their games. Of course the cherry on top is that winning helps smooth out the cracks in chemistry, and losing only widens them....

I think CC is the biggest factor by far in the teams chemistry. For all her star power she's still "one of the girls" and her ability to create good open shots for her team mates can't be overlooked. It took Mitchell a minute, but I think she has figured out now when you play with someone with Clarks skill and the sheer gravity she creates, (so much of the defense's focus shifts too her), so much open floor has been created for her to do her thing. These first 5 games since the break are a perfect example of the freedom Mitchell can enjoy to get open looks and driving lanes or run in transition with the games best passer....As far as the Sky's chemistry compare what Reese brings to the table. It's about her getting those dub/dubs, and really is doing little to help her team mates expand their games. Of course the cherry on top is that winning helps smooth out the cracks in chemistry, and losing only widens them....
The biggest benefit of Clark's gravity on offense is that when Mitchell gets the ball she's playing 1-on-4 instead of 1-on-5.

To add, these ladies on the Fever are loving the attention they are receiving as Indy's darlings, playing before sold out crowds every game. They've become stars, and even players like Mitchell who was their leading scorer last year, NEVER had anything like the attention they're getting now. They all know how that was created as well, and in started in April with this years #1 draft pick....
The biggest benefit of Clark's gravity on offense is that when Mitchell gets the ball she's playing 1-on-4 instead of 1-on-5.
Not nearly like she was. She's getting a lot more open looks and driving lanes off great passes from CC AND Boston.....

Sides can't teach defense and we have consistently lost huge leads throughout the season. The Fever need a better coach, because Sides isn't it.

Not nearly like she was. She's getting a lot more open looks and driving lanes off great passes from CC AND Boston.....
I don't have a problem with it because it works a lot better than the set where Smith tries to be Jokic at the top of the key and gives up a fast break the other way. I thought that had been taken out of the playbook but I guess not.

Totally agree.

Any of you guys bitching about Mitchell are out of your minds. She is a pure scorer who takes a ton of pressure off CC. She’s playing off CC so well right now. She runs the floor as well as any player in the league. If they were to lose her in free agency it would be a huge setback.

Has anyone looked at how we are blowing these leads? I know we are missing shots, and I know all of the teams have good players, but it seems like something on offense changes for the worse once we are up 15, and let the other teams back in the game. Maybe it is as simple as the have to take the foot off the gas with caitlin for parts of the game so she can "rest" on offense some?
They go into slow up mode and try to take time off the clock. Sides forgets what got them the big lead in the first place.

Sides can't teach defense and we have consistently lost huge leads throughout the season. The Fever need a better coach, because Sides isn't it.
My problem is she doesn’t change her defense based on who they are playing or what’s happening in the game. She will come out against the Sky and play the same defense and make this a really difficult game when it’s obvious they should play a zone against them since they can’t shoot from the perimeter and they kill on the offensive glass. Every middle school coach in the country would know enough to run a zone, but she won’t. She’ll have Smith covering (and getting destroyed by) Reese.

Reactions: MplsHawk
Any of you guys bitching about Mitchell are out of your minds. She is a pure scorer who takes a ton of pressure off CC. She’s playing off CC so well right now. She runs the floor as well as any player in the league. If they were to lose her in free agency it would be a huge setback.
Mitchell is one of the deadliest shooters in the league and is also a terrible teammate. Both can be true. Watching her run around the court with the ball as if it's 1 on 5 while not passing isn't smart basketball. Caitlin has been doing a great job of passing to a wide open Mitchell because she draws two or three defenders.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
The coach and team are still trying to figure out how to milk the clock without becoming stagnant, I think Iowa had some issues with it from time to time as well.

If you're looking at improvements, Sides is doing a much better job with the offense. However, the team is currently ranked 11th out of the 12 teams in Defensive Rating. Good job with figuring out the offense. Now, get to work on the defense.

^^^^^Really need Fagbenle in game shape by the post season.

They can absolutely beat the 2/3 seed.
I would say especially with the opening round 2-1 game format. IF you can steal one of those first two on the road, the deciding Game 3 is at Gainbridge. IMO, that puts extra pressure on the higher seeded team to win that first game, which is kind of weird to think about it that way. In some ways it’s almost like Game 1 is must win for the higher seed.

Mitchell is one of the deadliest shooters in the league and is also a terrible teammate. Both can be true. Watching her run around the court with the ball as if it's 1 on 5 while not passing isn't smart basketball. Caitlin has been doing a great job of passing to a wide open Mitchell because she draws two or three defenders.
She looks like a great teammate to me.

• Haha
Reactions: 2D_
She’s the leading scorer on the team. She’s a damn good player. I get it, you want CC to lead the team in scoring, assists and rebounds. If you’ve noticed, they really hit their stride once CC became a true PT guard vs just trying to score. She’s now dominating the game with her passing first and setting up teammates. And what makes Mitchell a bad teammate in your mind? Because they sure seem to be all getting along.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
She’s the leading scorer on the team. She’s a damn good player. I get it, you want CC to lead the team in scoring, assists and rebounds. If you’ve noticed, they really hit their stride once CC became a true PT guard vs just trying to score. She’s now dominating the game with her passing first and setting up teammates. And what makes Mitchell a bad teammate in your mind? Because they sure seem to be all getting along.
Holy delusion, Batman! I never said I wanted CC to lead the team in everything. Mitchell is a great player and a key factor in the Fever's success. They need to hang onto her for dear life if they want to make a championship level team. But she has shown time and time again she'd rather hog the ball and make a play herself than pass it to someone else for a better look. This isn't smart basketball or team basketball. Once she drops the hero ball, her game will be even better. Ball movement will allow for open shots not only to her teammates, but also herself. Teams keep leaving her on an island to guard CC, and she's been able to toss it to Mitchell multiple times a game for a bucket. She can do that for others on her team too.

Holy delusion, Batman! I never said I wanted CC to lead the team in everything. Mitchell is a great player and a key factor in the Fever's success. They need to hang onto her for dear life if they want to make a championship level team. But she has shown time and time again she'd rather hog the ball and make a play herself than pass it to someone else for a better look. This isn't smart basketball or team basketball. Once she drops the hero ball, her game will be even better. Ball movement will allow for open shots not only to her teammates, but also herself. Teams keep leaving her on an island to guard CC, and she's been able to toss it to Mitchell multiple times a game for a bucket. She can do that for others on her team too.
She’s their go to scorer at the end of the game. She’s not a ball hog. Her and CC are the only players on the team that can really get their own shot. Shes been pretty efficient the entire month of August.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT