ADVERTISEMENT

So this Sides, Clark, Fever saga…

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

It isnt more than that, but by all means.......they're the ones with the problem. Just because they "make it someone else's problem" doesn't excuse who has the problem in the first place.

I know...................................................................
We don't always agree. But since when did you become dense?

I don't care for the overuse of the term GOAT because it minimizes true GOATS. What do you mean, "why do I care"? It's just something that bothers me. Why does anyone have the opinions that they do about anything on this board?

We're sports fans, correct? It's pretty easy to understand why I would hold true GOATS in high regard.

I don't take issue with people sharing their opinions on GOATS. I take issue with the minimization of the term by people using it outside of the seriousness of actual GOAT conversations. I've explained this.

Many of the people over the past couple of years that have called Caitlin the GOAT weren't doing so out of thoughtful consideration that brought them to that conclusion. They were doing so because it was the cool thing to do. Many of them couldn't even name five women's basketball players.

I suppose you could call it a personal problem of the pros that were offended by the over-anointment of a college player as the GOAT. But being motivated to compete against that player is the natural reaction to having felt disrespected. It isn't "making it someone else's problem".

What made it CC's problem is the fact that she was over-anointed in the first place. Because motivated competition was always going to be the reaction of the offended pros in the first place. This is pretty easy to understand

Good call.

Now run along and "disappear from this thread".
Haha. You got me on that one.

Just seemed that we were going to go around in circles repeating ourselves. Plus, this is the basketball board.

But since you insist.......

What does past/present have to do with anything? You're trying to give credit to the coordinators. Well the guy who hired those coordinators must have done something right. If you're trying to say those hires were in the past, well then KF deserves credit for retaining them as current coaches.

The head coach gets the all credit and the blame, period. I notice you dodged the question when asked if you're blaming Phil and LeVar for the 4 loses.

And maybe you're saying that KF wasn't a fossil then, but it's worth noting that Iowa's defense and special teams were also good under KF before Phil and LeVar.

And again, I'm not sure why you are insisting that KF had his hands in the offense but left the D and special teams alone. Do you have inside information that this is true? Seems more like a narrative fitted to an opinion of KF. And one that has curiously always required the acceptance of contradictory premises, and in that way has been self-defeating. It would seem more logical to assume either that KF is a micromanager or that he is not

Last edited:
We don't always agree. But since when did you become dense?
family guy math GIF

What do you mean, "why do I care"? It's just something that bothers me. Why does anyone have the opinions that they do about anything on this board?
(Because f*** Wisconsin, that's why......)

We're sports fans, correct?
676da1cc-1932-4b32-9508-446c02ddcecf_text.gif

It's pretty easy to understand why I would hold true GOATS in high regard.

I don't take issue with people sharing their opinions on GOATS. I take issue with the minimization of the term by people using it outside of the seriousness of actual GOAT conversations. I've explained this.
Okay, fine.......I'll rephrase what I said.

You care about this WAY THE F*** too much. :)

Stop it.......Get some help
-GOAT, Michael Jordan

Many of the people over the past couple of years that have called Caitlin the GOAT weren't doing so out of thoughtful consideration that brought them to that conclusion. They were doing so because it was the cool thing to do. Many of them couldn't even name five women's basketball players.

I suppose you could call it a personal problem of the pros that were offended by the over-anointment of a college player as the GOAT. But being motivated to compete against that player is the natural reaction to having felt disrespected. It isn't "making it someone else's problem".

What made it CC's problem is the fact that she was over-anointed in the first place. Because motivated competition was always going to be the reaction of the offended pros in the first place. This is pretty easy to understand
And as usual you miss the point........

"And what is the point?"

Well, I'm glad I asked that question for you!! :D

Cc is somewhat limited as she can shoot 3's only going left or straight. She is very reluctant to shoot going right from outside 10 ft. If she is going right most defenders play that she is going to the rim. Boston is limited in that she has no explosiveness. She is strong somewhat like Caleb Swanigan was but she has to bull through someone to get a shot off. The other problem is she has bad hands, especially if there is any contact. CC is learning how to play through contact as in college ball a lot of it is called a foul. Then Mitchell has always been used to playing with the ball and not being punished for trying high risk plays. Same as CC wasn't punished by CLB for risky passes that ended up as thrnovers. The rest of the Fever roster has major limitations.
The leading scorer in ncaa history can only shoot 3s going to her left or straight. My god man you found her kryptonite. How did none of the collegiate coaches in 4 years figure out what you just posted. She also didn't get hacked on every play in college.

The wnba has made a concerted effort to take Caitlin out. Blitzing and face guarding on every single play.

What a complete pile of bullshit.

You don't think mass GOAT crowning of a college player is going to piss pro stars off and further motivate them to beat the rookie?

Since I was paying attention; I'll tell you Sabrina did not receive the treatment that Caitlin has in terms of defensive gameplaning. Nor did the whole country ever call her the GOAT
And yet Caitlin is absolutely demonstrating she is the goat.

No other wnba player in history has faced this type of defensive pressure and she has the best stats of any rookie all time

Since we're on overused/misused terms... I think "logo 3" can go away for awhile. It's now come to mean any long three point shot where you can see the logo in the camera view. You needn't be on the logo or even as far back as the logo...just in the area.
Yeah you get right on that. Also get "dropping dimes" updated, it's been 50+ years since it was that cheap.

And yet Caitlin is absolutely demonstrating she is the goat.

No other wnba player in history has faced this type of defensive pressure and she has the best stats of any rookie all time
Do you know what GOAT means?

Djokovic is the tennis GOAT. But in my opinion, Alcaraz is the most talented (best) player ever to step on a tennis court. But he can't yet be the GOAT because he doesn't have the longevity to have piled up the accomplishments.

It can't be a rookie.

Again I would ask if you would right now take CC over Wilson? It can't be a thing where you would take her two years from now. And by the way, there are many names that people bring up as the GOAT before Wilson

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Djokovic is the tennis GOAT. But in my opinion, Alcaraz is the most talented (best) player ever to step on a tennis court. But he can't yet be the GOAT because he doesn't have the longevity to have piled up the accomplishments.

It can't be a rookie.

Again I would ask if you would right now take her over Wilson? It can't be a thing where you would take CC two years from now. And by the way, there are many names that people bring up as the GOAT before Wilson
Federer is by far the most talented player ever. And it's not even close.

It can't be a rookie.

Again I would ask if you would right now take CC over Wilson? It can't be a thing where you would take her two years from now. And by the way, there are many names that people bring up as the GOAT before Wilson
I care so much because it's offensive to me. Are the things you're offended by coupled with a certain level of care? Of course they are.

The term GOAT is representative of the highest ideal of sports at its highest level. Why minimize the extensive winning that true GOATS have accomplished?

It's comparable to fans who value their own entertainment over the winning that's accomplished by the athletes. I just can't stand that crap. It's disrespectful to the athletes.

Yes, many sports at the higher levels have become part of a gigantic consumers industry. And yes, some athletes can display a performer's flair. But althetes don't play sports for the fans. They play for themselves. And they play to be part of competition. It's actually an intensely spiritual endeavor (whether the athlete knows it or not), as the training and the competition bring out higher and higher levels of the athlete.

Either appreciate the performance of the athlete or do not. But to have prerequisite qualities of competition for a fan's entertainment disrespects the athletes' actual performance and the lifetime of work they've put into being able to compete at a high level

Yes, many sports at the higher levels have become part of a gigantic consumers industry. And yes, some athletes can display a performer's flair. But althetes don't play sports for the fans. They play for themselves. And they play to be part of competition. It's actually an intensely spiritual endeavor (whether the athlete knows it or not), as the training and the competition bring out higher and higher levels of the athlete.

Either appreciate the performance of the athlete or do not. But to have prerequisite qualities of competition for a fan's entertainment disrespects the athletes' actual performance and the lifetime of work they've put into being able to compete at a high level
If that dumb statement were true, they'd be playing for free too.

Reactions: spiderland
Federer is by far the most talented player ever. And it's not even close.
So is Federer your tennis GOAT? Because his level of accomplishment could warrant that argument.

Novak got the best of Roger head-to-head. And he's broken most of Roger's records. I happen to believe there is a big enough difference between the two to have assigned a label as specific as GOAT to Novak.

I did consider Roger the GOAT at one time, but have flipped to Novak. Most tennis people have had the same change of heart. And you have to consider that Djokovic "passed" Federer on Roger's watch. There was still plenty of tread on Federer's tires when most people came to believe Djokovic to be the GOAT.

Anyway, that's my opinion. And as I've said, given health and longevity I expect Alcaraz to one day be the GOAT. To me, he's the most talented I've ever seen. And I too, don't believe it to be close

So is Federer your tennis GOAT? Because his level of accomplishment could warrant that argument.

Novak got the best of Roger head-to-head. And he's broken most of Roger's records. I happen to believe there is a big enough difference between the two to have assigned a label as specific as GOAT to Novak.

I did consider Roger the GOAT at one time, but have flipped to Novak. Most tennis people have had the same change of heart. And you have to consider that Djokovic "passed" Federer on Roger's watch. There was still plenty of tread on Federer's tires when most people came to believe Djokovic to be the GOAT.

Anyway, that's my opinion. And as I've said, given health and longevity I expect Alcaraz to one day be the GOAT. To me, he's the most talented I've ever seen. And I too, don't believe it to be close
I consider Federer the most talented of all time. Rafa number 2. Djoker the most determined and he’s stayed pretty much injury free until now. I respect the Hell out of him and would probably consider him the goat. But for my money talent wise he’s 3. Just incredibly tough both mentally and physically. Puts him over the top.

Reactions: eyesofhawk
To be more clear, I have no problems with CC. I think she's amazing and I appreciate her helping to cash my Fever money line bet today.

It's the crowning craze that I can't stand. A cool acronym was created to honor those that are actually the greatest of all time in their sport. And it's been ruined.

Maybe some of you aren't aware that it's become the "in" thing these days to call everything under the sun a GOAT. A recent one I remember is people calling Jaylen Brown the GOAT after he hit the game-tying 3 against the Pacers.

This is disrespectful to and minimizes the accomplishments of actual GOATS. These are athletes that should never be minimized in any way.

I don't think any women's basketball player should be called the GOAT. I think there are several all-time greats. And there just isn't a big enough difference between any of them that's GOAT worthy.

I even have a problem with how common it's become to call Brady the GOAT in football. The positions in football are so unique that I don't think there should be a football GOAT. Yes, QB has become the most important position in the sport. But it hasn't always been that way.

As for WNBA players taking offense to the crowning of a college player: again, it's more than their personal problem. They've taken it out on CC
Cmon man. At least Cc's not crowning herself, like Angel Reese and that stupid crown she wore before and after games at LSU.....

Pretty sad. You guys are arguing over the goat in tennis and women’s basketball. 😂😂😂
Well-rounded crowd here.

Not a ton of arguing though. Two people agreeing on Djokovic.

A few votes for Clark. And a couple that have said not Clark, but didn't offer a candidate of their own

Man, you always wrong??

Looks like GOAT just lit up your girl Taurasi.

Crazy watching the best ever to play the game almost get a trip-dub today!
Big time exaggeration and contextually over simplified. She is equally more dominant than her haters wish & less dominant than her lovers wish. She’s an anomaly, you can slee what she’ll become, but she isn’t there yet…🤷‍♂️ and I like u, not fing w/you but let’s be real. She’s not the best yet, but she draws crowds, & she is mesmerizing. And she is really good & and will be revolutionary

Reactions: littlez
That's for sure. For Reese, everything's about herself
A few days ago the Sky and Lynx were going at it pretty good for 3 quarters. Minnisota then took over and held Chicago to just 5 points in the 4th. With seconds left, Angel was stuck at 9 points. She was fouled, got 2 freethrows and missed the first. Camera pans to Angel and her mother in the stands. They acted as if the second freethrow was a putt on the 18th green to win the Masters. Unbelievable. She is 100% about Angel.

Last edited:
A few days ago the Sky and Lynx were going at it pretty good for 3 quarters. Minnisota then took over and held Chicago to just 5 points in the 4th. With seconds left, Angel was stuck at 9 points. She was fouled, got 2 freethrows and missed the first. Camera pans to Angel and her mother in the stands. They acted as if the second freethrow was a putt on the 18th green to win the Masters. Unbelievable. She is 100% about Angel.
She did have a double-double streak on the line. But yes, pretty ridiculous

The contrast between her and Clark is so stark.

You have got to be kidding!
Hate to burst your bubble but some games she’s not even the best player on her team.
Looks like another tally for "not Clark".

Caitlin is fabulous. Damn, damn good. And it's a pretty good bet that she's only going to get better. But there's some serious homerism going on with Iowa fans when it comes to CC.

Maybe people just aren't familiar with the other greats of past and present. Who knows?

Good call.

Now run along and "disappear from this thread".
Haha. You got me on that one.

Just seemed that we were going to go around in circles repeating ourselves. Plus, this is the basketball board.

But since you insist.......

What does past/present have to do with anything? You're trying to give credit to the coordinators. Well the guy who hired those coordinators must have done something right. If you're trying to say those hires were in the past, well then KF deserves credit for retaining them as current coaches.

The head coach gets the all credit and the blame, period. I notice you dodged the question when asked if you're blaming Phil and LeVar for the 4 loses.

And maybe you're saying that KF wasn't a fossil then, but it's worth noting that Iowa's defense and special teams were also good under KF before Phil and LeVar.

And again, I'm not sure why you are insisting that KF had his hands in the offense but left the D and special teams alone. Do you have inside information that this is true? Seems more like a narrative fitted to an opinion of KF. And one that has curiously always required the acceptance of contradictory premises, and in that way has been self-defeating. It would seem more logical to assume either that KF is a micromanager or that he is not
Where'd ya go Doc? 🤣

Looks like another tally for "not Clark".

Caitlin is fabulous. Damn, damn good. And it's a pretty good bet that she's only going to get better. But there's some serious homerism going on with Iowa fans when it comes to CC.

Maybe people just aren't familiar with the other greats of past and present. Who knows?
Lol you're so triggered by the people that tried to claim Clark was the greatest.

The "see I told you so" has consumed you. Love to see it.

Also CC > other greats of the past and present that we aren't familiar with

Just so it will make you mad and want to cry about how wrong I am to suggest that, since you've done it with anyone else who would make such a claim like you just did..............;)

Lol you're so triggered by the people that tried to claim Clark was the greatest.

The "see I told you so" has consumed you. Love to see it.

Also CC > other greats of the past and present that we aren't familiar with

Just so it will make you mad and want to cry about how wrong I am to suggest that, since you've done it with anyone else who would make such a claim like you just did..............;)
Caitlin Clark > your opinion of Caitlin Clark

Stay triggered. ;)
Actually was just matter of factly updating the counts for the guy who made fun of us "arguing" over women's basketball.

And was light heartedly messing with the Doc in the same way he did with me . What would that post have anything to do with the CC posts?

I was quite complimentary if CC and I've explained in detail what I am triggered about.

I don't need one game to back that at this point I wouldn't call CC the GOAT.

Seems like you and many other of the homers are the ones that might be triggered

Actually was just matter of factly updating the counts for the guy who made fun of us "arguing" over women's basketball.

And was light heartedly messing with the Doc in the same way he did with me . What would that post have anything to do with the CC posts?

I was quite complimentary if CC and I've explained in detail what I am triggered about.

I don't need one game to back that at this point I wouldn't call CC the GOAT.

Seems like you and many other of the homers are the ones that might be triggered
Lol as usual you're missing the point.

It's the fact that you feel the need to respond to defend "your position" at all. The need to "lightheartedly mess with Doc" the same way he messed with you. The need to "update the counts" for the other guy who made fun of you.

I got 3 words for you that you're gonna take to heart from now on anytime you take something seriously and feel compelled to respond about it, especially when it involves Caitlin Clark being defended on social media or being considered the GOAT.

61f5da3b-f954-438f-8e1e-0d3ce145af1c_text.gif

Lol as usual you're missing the point.

It's the fact that you feel the need to respond to defend "your position" at all. The need to "lightheartedly mess with Doc" the same way he messed with you. The need to "update the counts" for the other guy who made fun of you.

I got 3 words for you that you're gonna take to heart from now on anytime you take something seriously and feel compelled to respond about it, especially when it involves Caitlin Clark being defended on social media or being considered the GOAT.

61f5da3b-f954-438f-8e1e-0d3ce145af1c_text.gif
I don't feel the need to defend my position at all. To me it's obvious.

For example, there is a huge homer on here that is able to see clearly enough to rate CC as a top 20 current player. There's another guy who says some games she's not even the best player on her team. If there's this much discrepancy between how people rate her, then she clearly is not the GOAT. Plus the fact that a rookie can't be the GOAT no matter how good she is.

I'll admit to being triggered, but it's by the crowning craze in general. It also pisses me off that everyone calls Brady the GOAT. I've explained why the crowning craze is offensive to me, so you're the one who's missing the point.

When it comes to Doc, over and over on this board he has called for KF's job. That is also offensive to me and I am going to call out these type of posters frequently. You even previously gave a thumbs up in regards to doing so.

Your last post was not necessary

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT